1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Is it worth it coming back to this, if I hated everything since Moffat took over?

Like, does it seem that they will try to go for coherent plot, instead of endless idiotic plot twists and "revelations"?

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I enjoyed this a lot more than the previous one. The concept of space-Amazing Race was amusing and the final scene with the "villain" made me laugh out loud.

@KGB: There seems to be a season plot thread but it's too soon to tell if it's all-encompassing or just background details. Next week is a historical (1940s America) with some other time travelers so we'll see how that works out.

I really hope the villains aren't all blue tooth-faced dudes. That makeup was fine for a monster-of-the-week but would be a bit embarassing as the big-bads.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's a bit early to tell, particularly given the contrast between interview comments and what seems to be happening in the episode itself, but yeah, I'd say so. They don't seem to have reinvented the wheel so far, but new head writer, new Doctor, new companions - it's not going to get any more different for the foreseeable future, so you might as well try a few episodes.

4. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Did they actually make the TARDIS green or was that just the light reflecting off it?

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I like the cinematography of the new episodes and in general the effects and the sets feel like they have stepped up a bit in quality. This story wasn't an instant classic or anything but it was enjoyable.

Still not completely sold on this Doctor but I'm getting there. I'm just not getting the whole 1000+ year old timelord aspect. She didn't even have a reaction when reading about the fate of the scientists. Ten would have gotten angry, Eleven would have gotten quiet, Twelve would have made a speech. She just moved on without blinking. Same with the culling of space-race girls world.

It almost feels like she doesn't completely remember who she is. The companions don't know so maybe she'll sell a big reveal at some point. Then again Moffet climbed so far up the Doctors arse with the whole super special god-Doctor maybe they are avoiding it all together.

Did anyone else hate the new TARDIS design? I thought it looked over-engineered to fuck. I dont mind a different direction or even the crystal theme. But the use of space felt so badly done, somehow it was both gloomy and claustrophobic, and also too big in the middle with poorly defined edges. I did like the hexagon walls in the wide shots. Hopefully it was just poor lighting and angles and it will look better when they are occupying it.

The companions feel meh, no big personality interactions, they didn't feel like they added anything to the episode by being there. Nuwho Doctor has always needed his companions to some degree, I'm not getting any of that here. Its almost like in their rush to make a strong female Doctor they erased her vulnerabilities. But its early days, I hope they grow.

6. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Thought they knocked it out of the park this week, tbh. Not a subtle episode by any stretch, but it was very effective.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was a solid episode; hit all the right emotional notes. That said, Yaz and Graham really need some character background building. It has all been Ryan so far, and it's starting to feel like they they were both written in as afterthoughts.

As it's early days still, I'm hoping the episodes where the companions actually bond with each other and with the Doctor are coming in the near future.

8. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Eh, I think they've done alright with Graham so far. Next week's episode looks like it's going to introduce Yaz's family, so hopefully that will do the job for her.

9. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Good episode!

Not at all subtle, agreed. But I think they did a pretty good job handling a tricky topic. Portraying historical racism is always hard, and honestly I think this was a pretty tasteful way to do it. Actually a pretty poignant moment when they realized they had to stay on the bus -- I'll admit, I was confused as to why Graham was so anxious to get off. But then I realized how painful it would be to have to watch that and do nothing to help. It was really nice to see that there was that feeling of gravity.

The writing still isn't quite sparkling for me yet -- not a lot of super memorable moments. But they have time for that, and while the writing isn't amazing, I do think it's quite solid. Whittaker is actually doing a great job selling the Doctor imo. I was wondering how well she would do in more intense moments, but her confrontation with the bad guy this episode was pretty great.

I broadly agree that more characterization for Yaz would be good. Graham and Ryan are working for me now, I think their dynamic is endearing and kind of heartbreaking sometimes. Graham actually has surprised me, I thought I wouldn't like him but the actor is really sympathetic. Ryan is solid. There's also nothing wrong with Yaz, but she could use a but more fleshing out.

I'm really happy to see the companions actually contributing in meaningful ways. I think this is the biggest change I'm noticing from Moffat episodes -- companions being useful not by virtue of being so-pure-and-wonderful-that-they-save-the-Doctor-from-himself(or just by being the best-time-gurl-evarrr), but by being smart and capable people in their own right.

I've just scrolled back up and remembered -- I do agree with Sorrows that this Doctor isn't as... reactive as some other Doctors. This episode was better, you could see some of the veiled anger at the racism toward her companions, but the earlier scene with the scientists did lack that typical reaction -- anger, sympathy, sadness. This is probably something I put a bit on the writers, a bit on Whittaker(though it might be directorial? I don't know to what degree directors of TV shows micromanage this sort of thing). Hopefully we see some more development on this front.

10. Shinysavage

High Score:
    An improvement over last week's episode, which I see was so bland I completely forgot to comment on it (in some ways, it was vintage Who, which is to say utter nonsense with a shaky resolution, but basically ok). Still not brilliant, but a decent way to spend an hour. Halfway through the series now, and other than the obvious changes I'm not seeing much evidence of the fresh new direction that it was suggested was going to happen, but it's been consistently good, if not great.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The only thing last week's episode had going for it was that it very briefly touched upon the motivations of the companions. Graham is going to travel with the Doctor to escape his grief. Cool. Ryan is going to travel with the Doctor because he wants to get away from humdrum warehouse work. Neat. Yaz is going to travel with the Doctor because she wants to get away from her family for a bit. Great.

That said, it didn't do anywhere near enough. It didn't make me care.

I really feel like the episode should have been a two-parter and had its mystery/timeline stretched out. The Doctor should have gone off investigating spider stuff on her own and the companions should have gone back to their daily lives.

We should have gotten more scenes of Graham listlessly puttering around the house and failing to do those simple life tasks like taking out the garbage (and then he finds a giant spider in his attic and calls the Doctor). We should have gotten a few scenes of Ryan toiling away at his bland warehouse job, complete with shitty boss, shitty coworkers, and shitty menial tasks (and then he finds a giant spider in the warehouse and calls the Doctor). We should have gotten to actually 'see' Yaz suffocating under her overbearing family (and then she finds a giant spider at her neighbor's and calls the Doctor).

12. Horton

Horton Second Year

...I dread to think what the Doctor Whi fanfic writers will do now we know mpreg is canon in some species.

13. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Presumably the same thing they've always done, but with a touch more smugness about it.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Probably nothing. They already got their validation when it was confirmed *nudge-nudge-wink-wink* hinted that Captain Jack was the Face of Boe. The FoB was preggers way back in Season 1.

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

So this episode was okay. They visited another countries history which is pretty rare, so that's nice. They also went straight for Britain's colonial past which DW usually steps around like its a dead rat. My major gripe that they managed to sideline Yaz in her own family story. The beats were dramatic and the storyline itself was pretty solid, unfortunately the wider cast was stilted as hell and the drama felt pretty flat to me.

The monsters 'mission to watch those who die alone' had me rolling my eyes, but there have been many similar races on DW. They looked pretty cool at least.

I think what its missing for me is mystery. The companions don't seem the slightest bit interested in where the Doctor came from an the Doctor acts like she doesn't remember who she is either. Its nice to get out from all the 'Last of the Timelords' angst and everyone immediately knowing who the Doctor is bollocks. But she still effectively is, it would be nice to have that acknowledged sometimes, she seems completely disconnected from anything that came before.

16. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Can't quite decide what to make of that, really. I didn't love it, and it had some pretty clunky acting at points, but I'd by lying if I said I didn't have something in my eye by the end.

17. Heleor

That was ... a lot better than expected. I like the fact that this wasn't really a monster of the week, despite the fake-out, and the small self-contained format worked for it.

18. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Well, that was the silliest idea they've had in a while.

19. Heleor

20. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Pretty funny how it seems like they're starting by ripping on Amazon, but they actually just end up defending the entire concept of the institution. "The system isn't bad, it's the individuals' individual choices" is and always will be a monumentally stupid take. The conveyor belt scene in this episode also may genuinely be the worst thing I have ever seen on Doctor Who.

That said, Graham legitimately steals the scene episode after episode. It's actually stunning to me, the actor looks so unassuming and normal and honestly kind of boring, but he's so good at delivering this authentically folksy, clever air. His scenes with the maintenance guy felt so real and genuine. Drop Yaz and Ryan, make the series focus on Graham and the Doctor's adventures, and that alone will bring the quality up even if we keep getting these utter shit plotlines. Ryan adds literally nothing to episodes, and Yaz is cute and funny sometimes but doesn't bring enough to the table in my opinion to make it worth juggling multiple companions.

I like Jodie, but I actually found myself wondering what this series would be like if the actor playing Graham had been cast as 13. I really think he could have pulled it off.