1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

There is a Javascript hack on FFN

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ScottPress, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I don't really recall knowing the name specifically before this, but I was vaguely aware that making a hobby out of reporting stories was a thing people did, and that they even formed groups for it.

2. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    What? People overtag stuff heavily but it is still thousand times better than FFN's barrly existing tags and non-functional search.

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I almost always find what I'm looking for on FFN within a couple of minutes at the most, because of the limiting factors. On AO3 I usually get about 100k stories to sift through whenever I search for virtually anything. Mainly because of overtagging. It's annoying as fuck. I can never find anything that I'm looking for there.

While I appreciate that the admins there diligent about actually taking care of their site, and allow people to write whatever they want, the end result is a mess to wade through.

4. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Personally, I just usually use the A03dr extension for Chrome to blacklist various tags I don't care for or want see. It certainly has helped make using the site much smoother and easier.

Anyways, from what I can tell over on /r/fanfiction/ at reddit, they're saying that apparently the code/spam accounts are now somehow redirecting people over to A03 and Sufficient Velocity for some reason.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I saw the one about ao3 redirects, not sufficient velocity.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

https://twitter.com/FictionPress

7. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Example 1:
    Somebody recommended me a fic, but I forgot a full name! It was called Strangers at D-something. Searching at FFN - lol, no chance. AO3 - first search result.

Example 2:
    I want to filter out multiple popular pairings I dislike. FFN, can get rid of only one. AO3, somewhat bothersome, but you can filter out everything you don't want.

Example 3:
    I want to read DC Comics fanfic not based on TV series. FFN - split into multiple fandoms, can't filter out TV from them. AO3 - the fandoms are subfandoms of a general DC fandom and i can filter out any fic that has TV series subfandom added.

AO3 search is incomparably better than FFN's one.

8. James

James Unspeakable

I don’t understand why they don’t just purge all html save bold, italic and header styles, and boom, done, everything’s okay.

Also, @Sataniel, just to provide a counterpoint, I hate the tagging system, as it never seems to do what I expect it to do - sometimes I expect it to add to filters when I click stuff, while it replaces current filters. Then I want to move to another tag, but it adds the tag to my current one and now have two tag filter active.

And then I want to check the author’s works, but I’m suddenly on some sort of multi-author collection? It’s very confusing forme.

9. Zombie

Even easier solution just use Scryer. :wink:

10. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Never had later two happening, you click tag it shows you stuff from this tag, you click author it shows you this author's profile. Are you sure you don't have any userscripts or other expansions?
    Scryer won't help with the third one. And has a limited selection of fandoms.

11. Zombie

Have you ever seen Raven not include a Fandom on Request? I'd consider using the feedback thread for Scyer.

12. James

James Unspeakable

I don't, but I may have not described exactly my problem. The result is that I always end up confused with the filtering and such.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sane alternative: use Google.

14. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

On twitter. I assume its safe to visit now.
    Link to blog:FictionPress Blog

I visited user profile pages and didn't get infected? :chainsaw:(Was Friday and logged onto DLP only after going through more fics). Also, lol at the 'we'.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018