1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Word of God Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Rameses

Rameses Squib

Ok. To keep the ball rolling. . .

We know one of the BAT title going to be Hell's Bells. It is going to be big thing. I don't think Nick killed his daughter for nothing. Whatever he planned to do with the Grail, it is going to be super ugly.

Marcone scene in the last chapter is not good though. He is totally out of place there. Hopefully he will be killed in next book and Dresden takes over his position.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, reddit tells me that this post refers to a new Dresden TV series. Thread posits either FX or Netflix for who does it.

This... interests me greatly. I would love to see Butcher work with a TV producer and make an adapted version of the major events of the book series into a TV series. No way to cover all of the events in the books, though, so I think some pretty major changes would have to be made.

[​IMG]

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

In my opinion Dresden TV show would work the best in format like BBC Sherlock with three movie long, even longer than 90 minutes if necessary, episodes for each season. Or simply as series of films like The Librarian.

Additionally, giving Butcher's speed these days there is a good chance that he will do GRRM and they will get to the BAT before he does. ;)

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Interesting news.

I sincerely doubt the Dresden series ever finishes just like GOT won't finish. The "five books and then a trilogy finale" is possibly (WoT-like) eight plus a quintilogy. At 2-3 years each, you're talking 30+ years and the guy's in his mid 40s now. What's to say he doesn't take up another few Cinder Spires or other distractions between now and then?

I saw GRRM some weeks back and he had the frail aura of a guy who ain't gonna finish his glass of wine, much less a door-stop fantasy series. The pace of Butcher's releases has nearly slowed to GRRM levels. I don't expect to see a finale.

5. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I've always thought a 12 episode series that covers three books (each 'arc') would be good. Four hours per book would be plenty. That would also mean you'd have about 7-8 seasons, which is enough.

6. Innomine

High Score:
    You don't expect to see a finale of Butcher's or GRRMs work? While I'd buy it for GRRM, I'm not willing to give up on Butcher yet. By all accounts, the last four years of his life have been tumultuous at best. Question is, is if he can get back into the routine that he used to have after it all settles down. The guy was stupidly prolific. That pace will burn anyone out eventually.

If he can recover from the burnout and get back into it, I'd expect to see him finish, if slower than before. But maybe he's one of those people who can't change/cope. More evidence of the first, than the second so far imo. At least he hasn't tried and failed yet.

7. Celestin

While I wouldn't agree with Pers that Butcher won't finish his books, even if he manages to get back to writing them faster, I doubt it will ever be one book a year. I would say that 16 years is a minimum before we get the ending.

That's quite a lot, especially when if Butcher didn't slow down after Changes we would probably have the 20th book this year.

8. Innomine

High Score:

I mean, it’s been what, four years, since skin game? He hasn’t released a single book during that time. We’d pretty much be done, If he’d kept up his publishing rate. I think I estimated I’d be early 30s when the series was done, back in 2012 when the publishing rate was still consistent. Now I’m almost 30.

If he manages a book every 2 years from now, we’re looking at another 16, yeah.

Quite sad really. Most people who grew up reading them will have stopped caring by then. :(

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's a bit of a vicious cycle--fans lose interest, the impetus to write wanes, events in life intrude, lather, rinse, repeat.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

He got to the point where he is making enough money on residuals that the need to write left him, he's no longer a starving artist.

The quality of his writing also changed, you can see it in a lot of writers, their best work is their early work as they usaully have a very harsh editor they must follow.

Once they get big enough, its what they want, and thus the standards slip. It happens to a lot of authors who think they know best.

11. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I admit I never really got back into Dresden Files after Changes so the possibility of Dresden Files never really ending doesn't distress me as much as it once did. Though on the other hand I don't think it entirely impossible either, he is still nowhere near the GRRM level of age and health.

That has to be reason why the first three books of Dresden Files are those unmatched masterpieces...

Sarcasm aside, the idea that you need to be a "starving artist" to produce quality work is offensive in so many ways and not something I thought I would see on used as a serious argument on this site. I mean your whole post just oozes of ignorant arrogance but whatever helps you make feel superior I guess...

12. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

So fuck you.

Those two points were mutually exclusive.

The pace of his writing is due to no longer being a starving artist. You want proof? He literally said it himself, he was pumping out books when he needed the money.

My other point is as authors get the street cred and power to say no more often to the editors and publishing company their works loose their edge.

It’s why the later three HP books are bloated, JK said CoS would have been longer if she wasn’t forced to cut more out of it.

Terry Goodkind, his books are horrendous later in the series as they preach and ramble, something he wasn’t allowed to do as a none A list writer.

Butcher adding a bit to much of his need references, such as in infamous, which LoTR character are you passage.

In summary. Fuck you.

13. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, my interest in Dresden has severely dropped off over the past several years. My biggest complaint is how Dresden's voice has evolved ever since Changes. Too many unnecessary modern references(Parkour springs to mind). If another book comes out, I'll read it, but I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as I used to.

14. carl

carl Seventh Year

Jim Butcher had home/moving related issues (moving to Colorado, his new build being massively delayed and living with his new partner and not having a good place to focus on writing( that look much longer than expected, this was somewhat recently resolved and I'd expect him to be back to normal.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Now that we have a threadmark feature, I should probably go through this thread and mark everything...

Anyway, I'm just being Santa's little helper today, I guess, and putting this here just because I'm not sure where else to put it anymore. Does this make up for all the delay on Peace Talks? Not really, but I'll latch onto anything resembling content at this point, and it's well written. Needless to say, Mab is best gift-giver.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

...Did Butcher write that?

His editor must do a lot of work, because that felt nothing like what I associate with the books. o.o

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I swear Butcher is one more hour on 9gag away from changing Mouse's name to 'Doge'.

Anyway, looks like he's found a way to deal with Peace Talks. Skipping it entirely.

18. Celestin

This short fits his writing style start with Changes when he started to include too many pop culture references. They were very cool in small doses in earlier books, but after a certain point when everyone started to make them, including supernatural beings, they become a little tiresome.

By the way, it should be said that this short contains small spoilers for Peace Talks. As in who is going to survive for sure because apparently not everyone will.

Lastly, my new pick for an actor to play Kringle is Kurt Russell.

19. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    REEEEEEEEEEEEE

20. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Where is Granny Winter ?
    Doesn't she feel the spirit of the holiday.
    Or Dresden surviving another year, without being forcibly invited to play dinner is good enough ?