1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witcher TV Show [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sey, May 17, 2017.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Thank you for illustrating my point. If you want to tell me why you think it's dishonest to not automatically assume a fantasy charecter from a fantasy world is white, please do so. I won't have to write so much then.

2. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Because a fantasy world based in what's pretty clearly analogous to the medieval Slavic states inherently implies an overwhelmingly European (read: white) ethnicity. Some things don't need to be explicitly written, a black character in a nation comprised of 99.999% white people would need mentioning, on the other hand.

I want to clarify that I don't particularly give a shit on the actors ethnicity, it's very clearly entered Hollywood territory, and that's an entirely different kettle of fish. If it was done by a studio in Poland though...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  3. Sorrows

This argument is bullshit, it's bullshit everytime it is used.

People assume medevial european based fantasy (still 90% of the genre) must have majority white populations with maybe a little token diversity. That's fair enough, (even if medevial europe was never as homogenous as people think.) It's not like visual media has done much to debase that notion untill recently. I think of Hermione as as white and Geralts country as mostly white too. But then I'm a white girl living in a majority white area, thats my default too. What I don't get is when people get pissy over people not following this unwritten rule as if they are stomping all over historical accuracy or something.

The humans have the trappings of medevial Europe. So what? It's a sperate, fantasy world full of fantasy races interacting for thousands of years. Where is it implied the population is 99.9% white except in your own head? The idea its white in the books unless explicitly stated otherwise is part of the problem. Just because people automatically assume that does not mean the demographics would mirror a completely different world. If there is anywhere you should be able to add diversity without issue, it is freaking made-up magical worlds.

Hell, people still get upset when the author explicitly states that a portrayal of a charecter is valid and does not contradict their vision.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I saw that Romilda was in this now. Somewhere in that show, someone had better look at her, then look at Geralt, and say "HANDLE IT!"

5. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I'm not contesting the impossibility of people who aren't white in the books, I am contesting the absurdity that her colour not being mentioned means she's somehow not white. Just like when I turn on the news and hear about corruption in China, I assume the perpetrators are Asian, with extremely good reason. If I read about John Smith from Britain in the 1800's I assume he's white too.

Nothing you have said makes me think for even one second that what you wrote in that original post wasn't a justification after the fact. Why is it wrong to assume a book written by a Polish author on whats clearly a reflection of medieval Poland, with Polish characters and culture, would overwhelmingly be white? It's an absurd double standard, if an author from Africa wrote a series of fantasy books set in the year 1000 A.D. and a television series was adapted to it, and a good portion of the characters were inexplicably white, I would bet my entire life savings you wouldn't argue that "The idea its black in the books unless explicitly stated otherwise is part of the problem."

More to the point, there isn't a problem with people thinking medieval Europe characters are white, what a ridiculous statement.

6. Sorrows

Your examples are rediculous because your talking about people from our actual historical past, not a made up fantasy world.

Her skin colour not been mentioned doesn't mean she's automatically not white, it means she could be white or she could not be. It is open to interpretation. People can assume anything they like, but they can't point to canon as the reason they're all butthurt about it.

The problem is not people assume whiteness. Hell I assume that. The problem is people get pissed like some rule has been broken when producers adapting a series for a visual median decide that there is no actaul reason follow such an assumption to the exclusion of minorities when you're populating a made-up world.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Allow me to quote myself:
    My issue remains that what I originally quoted was and is a stupid argument. There's no reason that Geralt couldn't have been played by Will Smith either, description and implied description are irrelevant in a made up world.

8. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    I'm sorry, are people unclear on the fact that the Witcher franchise's world is based off the ethnic tensions between Ukrainians, Poles, and Russians during the 1600s and inter World War Period? Real world ethnic tensions between "White people"? Say it ain't so.

9. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Do people not realize there are different shades of whiteness? My mom's family is from Austria and the Slavic region, and many of them look slightly out of place to what people expect, by having a darker, more olive, skin tone. My mom looks more like Anna Shaffer with less curly hair, while I look more Northern European, even though I'm part Native and a mixture of all sorts of nationalities.

The only reason people say Anna Shaffer is black, and not look at her skin tone, is for some stupid reason we are still using the 'one drop' rule. If you had no idea who her parents were, people would easily guess she is Middle Eastern, Southern European or Spanish. All groups that are considered 'white'. Hell, why is it when people are mixed, they are considered black more than white?

In Hollywood, it's been common, for decades, to use mixed raced actors as white characters. This isn't anything remarkable.

So far the cast hasn't been that bad, once we add some hair dye and makeup.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

To be precise she has chestnut hair and a skin colour light enough to be noticeable blushing in certain situations.

And while agree with you about general problem of defaulting to white characters in fantasy setting, I would bet a dollar that if anyone asked Sapkowski what is the colour of the skin of majority of the characters, he would said white. Unless Netflix paid him to say otherwise, but if I were him, I would do the same for free money. ;)

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can only assume those not caring about ethnicity in this fictional show also didn't care that ScaJo was cast in Ghost in the Shell, right?

That would be pretty weird, otherwise.

12. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Given that the original GitS director himself said he had no problem with the casting, it really would be strange for people to have a problem with her casting.

I think my issue with this whole debate is that many of the people who get upset over Triss or Ciri being black tend to be the same group of people who tell minorities that they should judge a show/movie/actor by their merit when a charecter is whitewashed.

On the other hand, the people arguing for historical and canonical accuracy have a point as well. I'm not going to comment on historical accuracy since I don't know shit but as far as canonical accuracy is concerned, most fans care more about the show being true to the games rather than the books. So while Triss's race may not be explicitly stated in the books, it doesn't matter because most fans want the Triss from the games: a hot white redhead.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gonna be honest...who doesn't want a hot white redhead?

14. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

People who want a bit of variety and find redheads to be vastly over-represneted in popular media? Or those who don't want to get into bed with soulless succubi?

Lol, jk. You can never have enough sexy redheads.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    These people are objectively, factually, truthfully, and scientifically wrong. :p

16. James

James Unspeakable

Those people are weird. Succubi were super hot in W3.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Netflix reveals first look at The Witcher cast.

They really improved Geralt. Not sure if it was because of fans' reaction to first photo or it would happen anyway. Ciri is fine too, but Yennefer continues to not work for me. Maybe the trailer will change that.

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The script will make or break this show. Netflix has plenty of slick looking stuff that's boring or bad or both.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cavill looks 100000x better.

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oi, don't jebait me into giving Polygon clicks you fuck.