1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout76

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Zombie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Since there wasn't a thread for this, I decided to create one. Out of all the games to come out of E3, I'm fairly interested in this. The visuals showed was really interesting and it very nearly sold me with just that. I'm a bit wary because the best estimates of the games is that its going to be Fallout Battle Royale (that I've seen) with survival aspects and building aspects, and other things.

Alot of people have likened it to Rust, which I never really played all that much so I can't use that to base my opinions on.

Its been said there will be no, I guess, friendly NPCs, because Raiders and other types are going to be included. The only friendlys you might encounter are going to be real people.

Also, its always online. But there isn't going to be a server queue. Estimated max player size per map, atleast in the video linked, is twelve players. But I don't know about that. Also your player data will "follow" you from server to server so your progress will never be lost.

I'd really like this game to have a single player story line, but maybe that's something that comes later. I'd like to see the emphasis they place on actual survival in the game, because some of my best Fallout experiences have been using the Survival Mods, and Terrain Mods to make the game more interesting.

Its set in West Virgina, and some of the visuals we're shown is that its largely untouched by the Fallout. Something new is the dynamic weather systems such as rad storms, which you can view occurring in the distance in real time, and its also a important part of the survival mechanic depending on where you end up on the map.

Its also set 20 years after the bombs drop, so the story line is going to be really interesting, I think, because we've always seen what the world looks like far into the future. Here they have the opportunity to introduce new game lore that could have a lasting impact on any of the future games.

Its coming out this year, and has apparently been in development for a long time. The buzzword selling points are that its four times the size of FO4 in terms of area to cover.

That can both be a deterrent for some people, and an invitation for those of use that like huge open worlds with lots of things to discover.

I've mentioned in the E3 thread and a couple other threads that the major draw for me in FO and TES isn't so much the storyline -- don't get me wrong, the lore is great -- but the actual game mechanics, the level systems, and the exploration.

I played Skyrim for a whole year before I ever completed a single quest related to the main story line, and I did the same thing for Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the whole survival mechanic of Fallout76, but I think it can lead to something good and refreshing for the franchise, where there has never been much emphasis on multi-player modes.

I watched a decent documentary.

In it they covered the making of the game, and revealed some of their direction. I'll be honest, I've not spent this much time looking into a game into a long time. I'm expecting long term I'll be pretty happy with things, but initially I might be setup for some disappointment.

Other things I've saw about the game is that there will be micro transactions, but only for skins pretty much. Nothing else will be covered under that. I hope it stays that way, because if they use some kind of stupid lootbox system in this a la Battlefront I'll just be mad.

It seems more in line with Fortnite in that regard.

So, here's a thread, lets talk about some Fallout.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

I am definitely feeling somewhere between “meh” and slightly concerned. The stuff we’ve seen revealed so far seems... okay? It could make for a fun co-op MMO-lite sort of loot-shooter which makes it seem like Bethesda just tried to make their own Destiny clone like Bioware/EA is. Could be a fun way to fuck around with some friends.

On the other hand, I probably have a very similar sentiment with a lot of people online when I say that this is definitely not the direction I want the Fallout series going. F4 got a really mixed reception specifically because, despite much better combat and shooting mechanics, the RPG aspects, character building, and writing languished considerably. F76 seems to be an even further acceleration of that trend, considering that there are apparently no human NPCs in the game.

If F76 is a spin off co-op game rather than a stand alone title representative of the general series, then I won’t have too much of a problem with it and may have an lot of fun. It doesn’t make me a bit nervous for the franchise though.

3. Zombie

Some new coverage. Bit of more info. And the narrator isn't as garbage as most.

Big thing in this is no crossplay, and micro transactions.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm not looking forward to this a huge amount, but still enough where I'll probably pick it up on release day. That itself is probably a mistake, due to the likelihood of bugs, but that's usually when the community is largest. I think it's going to be a pretty fun game.

5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I am relieved to hear that this is not a new installment in the series, just a one-off experiment. It's not like I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but hearing that made me feel better.

It's such a small thing, but you know what really bothers me so far about this? I haven't heard "war never changes" once. How the fuck do you make a trailer for a Fallout game without that?

6. Zombie

Bump on this. Dunno if anyone cares, but here's some gameplay from a dude that does a bunch of Fallout Lore videos I follow. Its decent.

Shows some playthrough of the game, so, if you don't want spoilers, don't watch it.

7. Johnnyseattle

This is the worst time I've had yet avoiding spoilers. Not because they're everywhere, but because I'm just trying not to look, and my willpower only goes so damned far. I think I can wait 11 more days.

I think.

8. Zombie

Yeah, I don't really care for the spoilers myself, I wanna know what I'm walking into if I'm gonna like it or not, what problems might be present at launch, etc. You buy with your eyes, or so the saying goes. I was worried it was going to be total garbage. The previews I've seen, and there are a fuck ton cause everyone with an xbox is uploading right now. So, good luck.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Good ol' Oxhorn.

I've been watching his stuff on 76 because I find it interesting, but I have no desire to play a Fallout game without single player.

I love the idea of new creatures, particularly based on local folklore, but not enough to buy a multiplayer FO with PVP.

And fuck weapon degradation. Seriously. Some people like it; then again, some people like having their balls stepped on. Not for me, I'm afraid.

10. Zombie

I mean I usually mod it into my own games.

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Seems like a lot of effort for ball stomping. [​IMG]

Then again, I did have the Crotch Shot mod for Unreal Tournament 2004...

12. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    And here I thought that Bethesda's screw-ups won't be able to surprise me anymore.

13. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I'm with Warlocke. I love the Fallout series, but this isn't what I want from a Fallout game. Single player with NPCs, settlements, quests, story-- that's what I want. As Al Chestbreach would say, "note quests suck." And that's the only type of story available apparently, so I'm passing on this game.

14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

When it comes to multiplayer Bethesda games, that's all anyone has wanted.

But they keep trying to be clever about it and end up giving us shit we don't want.

"We want Skyrim, but the ability to play with friends."

Here, have an MMO. (Not shitting on ESO, just saying it wasn't what players asked for.)

"We want Fallout, but the ability to play with friends."

Here, have a Rust clone in a Fallout costume.

Told my friends from the start that I would be skipping 76, and I'm sticking to my guns. The fact that I've heard almost nothing good from people who've played it only reinforces that stance.

15. Zombie

What have you heard that's bad? I've seen a lot of game play and it looks fine to me. With the expected bugs associated with a beta. And barring Santaniels link from before where all that shit is happening, it looked alright to me at face value. I think people are just super chafed with the fact there are no NPCs and its all team play and other shit. But I mean, what else is wrong with it?

16. Johnnyseattle

I think if it was $30 I'd have absolutely no issues with it. I've played Bethesda games long enough that the same bugs they've had for 15 years just don't bother me anymore, and even make me laugh a bit. But full AAA price for a game they didn't have to bother making NPCs for, or any kind of coherent story outside of holotapes is a bit ridiculous. Especially seeing it's the same tired engine, the net code is terribly lazy and slapped together with bondo, and it just seems they're going out of their way to make head-scratching decisions for UI, interface, and actually taking away the one thing that always made their games awesome in the long run - the ability to mod everything.

17. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Incredibly polar framerate reports. Shroud was the best I saw, getting 120 FPS, and sometimes dropping down to 80. Though I saw far more reports of people struggling to consistently get above 40 FPS on high end systems, even with the graphics turned down to medium. Shroud dropping as low as 80 with a 2080ti on a dated engine already speaks of poor optimization - but hey, it's beta so I'm sure they'll sort that right out in time.

Quite a few reports of motion sickness, far more than the usual new gamers trying a FPS for the first time. And far too many for an experienced developer, QA exists for a reason. No idea of the reason, don't care either. Just saying what I've seen and heard.

The biggest complaint I've seen? Nobody knows what the hell this game actually is.

It isn't a full on survival game, the mechanics simply aren't there.

It isn't a Survival/PvP hybrid since the map is big enough and the playercount low enough that raiding other players for resources isn't particularly necessary.

It isn't a traditional story driven Bethesda game since most of the stories are told through Audio Logs, and there are no NPCs. So "Fallout with Friends" it isn't.

It isn't a high end display of technical brilliance and game design, since it's running on an old engine and doesn't do anything that we haven't seen done better by other games.

So what exactly is Fallout 76?

To me, it looks like an amalgamation of a few underwhelming ideas from other games with a Fallout coat of paint slapped on top.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

I do want to ask a question of my own though. You asked what's wrong with it. From what you've seen, what do you feel is right with Fallout 76? What sets it apart from other new games this season? This isn't me trying to be a dick, by the way. I'd genuinely like to know what gave you such a positive impression.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  18. Zombie

Probably that I don't play enough games other than like EOS, Fallout series, etc that it doesn't look unappealing to me. That and I generally ignore a lot of game hype so I guess my like of it is more personal preference. So when I saw this, I kinda got sucked in wondering where they're going with it (which is why I started the thread) I'm just trying to get a perspective of whats wrong with it because I can't see anything other than whats readily apparent (as I said earlier). I've seen a lot of people just rage shitting all over it. I guess because they had higher expectations. I like the locations and creatures I've seen. I've liked the newer factions I've seen, I like the terrain (even though you can do the same thing in FO4 with Mods I get it.)

I like the lore aspects. The fact that there are no NPCs doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, would I like some? Yes. The price is a bit annoying as well, but there's not much I can do about that. They try and sell things at a premium to make it more than it really is. I feel like this game suffers, more than anything, the fact that its not finished yet and interest will be gone before the contents ever there. People have been burned too many times. And as I said, I don't play anything but these kind of games so the burn for me really isn't there. Its got some unique things there that I might drop the money for it to play it myself.

The major selling point of fallout with friends is a no-sell for me, out of everything. I don't like having to rely on co-op play to get certain things done, but I can see it being useful.

I wasn't really expecting an engaging story line. There seems to be something there, but its like its not fully developed. On the flip side I feel like they're rushing this when they could have spent a bit more time working on identity. So I do agree with you there.

I guess overall, I'm easily pleased by the glitter, and everyone else is pissed off with the shit underneath.

19. Johnnyseattle

Oh yeah man, don't get me wrong - I'm really intending to wait until this is cheaper, but I'm the most easily entertained person I know, there's probably no chance my willpower holds out that long. I mean, I actually still kinda enjoy No Man's Sky even.

20. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Fallout 76 is live. I played some of the beta sessions and have played for the past two days (PC servers went live worldwide when Australia hit the release date). I am greatly enjoying it. Bethesda has always been good at creating a world that I want to explore, and this is no different. I love the varied environments, especially the Ash Heap. Mole Miners are a god send for me, since they almost always carry shotguns and shot gun shells.

Running around with a shotgun build, and a bunch of backup weapons. It's funny to be carrying two kitted out shotguns each weighing 2 pounds, but then one rifle weighs 15 (because of perks). Most things eat the front end of my double barrel then die.

Let's talk differences from 4.

-Combat is almost entirely the same; the only difference is VATS not slowing time. I don't mind this change, and most of the time it feels much better to use the new VATS. The only time I miss the old one is when I'm facing one big dude (deathclaw, Wendigo, etc) and I can't stop time, catch my breath, and aim for their face. I really miss Jet for dealing with melee enemies.

-I think every non-unique piece of weapon and armor is back from 4, as well as a bunch of extra ones. The return of the condition system is ok... not much of a concern most of the time (or really any of the time). I do like the changes to the upgrade system, having to scrap weapons to learn new mods is more fun than just learning everything when you get the perk. I really hate level locking loot.

-The perk system is neat. Can't think of anything more to say than that.

-Enemies... Like with armor and weapons, every enemy from 4 is back (well, besides human raiders and such) and a bunch of new ones. The Wendigo is the single most terrifying thing I have experienced in any fallout game. Haven't encountered too many of the new cryptid creatures. Only a couple of each in the Grafton Monster, Wendigo and Snallygaster or w/e categories. Like I said above, mole miners are great.

-I've encountered some scorch beasts. Died almost every single time. Sometimes multiple times. I was at the Whitespring resort and there were 3 of them flying around fighting the robots. Got one of them to 20%, but then all the bots turned on me and my hidey-hole lost its safety.

-Most of the time, you don't notice the missing NPCs. Exploring locations is mostly the same, you get ambient dialogue from scorched to replace raiders, and to me it seems like more effort has been put into audio-logs, notes and stuff to make up for the NPCs. Locations also seem more detailed. There are a couple of non-generic (ie unique) robots out there that are fun to meet. Did a quest for a Miss Nanny bot at the top of the map that had me investigating a missing child, it was very Nick Valentine's Detective Agency-esque. Quests in general are more sparse, and no talk-to-people-a-bunch quests is a bummer.

-The game is harder than base fallout 4, probably the same difficulty as survival in fallout 4 (or a bit easier, might depend on the build idk). Eating and drinking is way more annoying than weapon/armor condition. You can carry a lot less junk around, so no more hoarding 100 stimpaks on you at all times, which is part of what makes eating and drinking annoying. I've run low on meds a lot, mostly because big/overlevelled mobs can eat through stimpaks. The CAMP is neat, though I've kept mine in the same spot since the beta ended. I like the workshops around the map.

-Notably absent from my commentary so far is stuff related to multiplayer. I have had almost no interactions with other players, and I only got to play for a few hours with a friend when they handed out free beta codes. Still feels very single player. If you are on PC and want a companion, I can be a police officer or a golfer. Your choice. IDR how adding Bethesda friends works, but I do remember it is dumb.

TLDR: I'm having fun, almost entirely an improvement over 4 in terms of gameplay.