1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Titans has actually started to get really good.

That said, title of the latest episode can basically be called "Everybody wants Dick"

2. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

They're making The Boys into a tv show and I'm super hyped. It's based off a comic about a black ops team who puts down super heroes who cross the line. Super brutal and an interesting take on a superhero world.

3. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Then again when didnt everyone want Dick .

So what are your thoughts about the new asian Robin. I’m assuming he’s Jason Todd.

4. Arthellion

High Score:

The title of next episode is Jason Todd. They aren’t afraid to bring in people. Title of last episode is Donna Troy.

So...

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

It's an "adult" parody of the comics industry so I hope they update it to be mocking the MCU and general superhero tv/movies.

6. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It's in parody in the style of having the Professor X analogue being a pedophile who preyed on the X-men. So seeing them tackle the MCU will be, interesting. Though honestly I'm okay with them using the story as is.

7. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Having dinn a recent reread the story honestly didn't age particularly well. There were good parts but the thing was kind of meh

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    Upping my rating of Titans to 4/5. The first few episodes are slightly rocky and there are definitely some areas where budgeting has caused some plot holes, but all in all it's a great show. Recommended.

9. oakes

The Rookie is pretty good so far. Still have hard time seeing Nathan Fillion so old as I watched Firefly comparatively recently, but he’s still his annoyingly charming self.

10. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Has anybody watched "Origin" yet? A SF series by youtube.

I'm really conflicted about the show. It starts quite good, high production values and the ship design is really nice for the most parts. But it has major problems with the simplistic plot, jump horror and characters acting stupid to keep it going.

Actually the scenes where the characters' backgrounds on earth are introduced were far better than the actual SF part. Everything related the ship's cockpit/AI and the medical facility also felt illogical or underdeveloped concept wise compared to the rest. Until you see it this is difficult to describe. Somewhat inconsistent.

In the end it feels like a wasted opportunity. It could have been great because it does a few things really well if only the main script would have been better.

Never the less it's at least worth watching to see what you think.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    Young Justice Comes out January 4th

12. oakes

I still can’t fathom how dc is so good at doing animated series but sucks as at movies. Recently watched Constantine:City of Demons and it was fantastic.

13. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's entirely different teams running them, with the movie team being hamstrung by trying to catch up to Marvel while distinguishing themselves from it at the same time.

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I mean, look at the Star Wars franchise from 2000-now, it's basically the same boat. The Clone Wars series are better than every SW movie not named Empire Strikes Back all put together, and after the first half of season 1, Rebels was better than most of them too. Dave Filoni should be given the reigns to the whole franchise if they want it to get back on track with the majority of the fanbase, and DC needs to do the same.

Then again, nobody does more to make people think they deserve to be shit on than Star Wars fans.

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    The two seasons of Sick Note are now on Netflix. The UK-based folks might have seen it on Sky a while back, but Netflix has now given it a shot at a wider audience, which includes me, as I binged both seasons for the last couple of hours.

The dark sitcom stars Rupert Grint, Nick Frost, Don Johnson and Lindsay Lohan, and centers around the escapades of a man-child who fakes cancer (Grint) after being misdiagnosed by his inept doctor (Frost) as they struggle to keep their lie under wraps. I got into it with pretty low expectations, which means that after a somewhat rocky start, I was surprised that the series is actually pretty good. Grint and Frost gel pretty well together, and Don Johnson was hilarious, while Lohan is able to show that she hasn’t lost all of her acting chops.

I’m not going to spoil the plot too much, except to say that it tends to ramble on a bit and struggles to generate enough material for 7x20 (S1) and 8x20 (S2) minutes. However, the comedy set pieces and a very good supporting cast (Robert Daws in particular is absolutely delightful in his, sadly, very limited screentime) make the experience worthwhile.

My overall verdict is a 7/10, and I hope for more seasons in the future.

16. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Worth checking out for Frost and Grint. Thanks.

P.S. I thought Lohan is permanently (dry) yachting in Saudi Arabia:)

17. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

The BBC show Bodyguard is actually very very good. I definitely recommend it to anyone willing to watch. If I recall, it's a six-episode miniseries. I'd give it a 4/5. A good way to kill an afternoon, if you're stuck in an airport like I was.

18. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I watched Castle Rock recently, and all I can say is fuck that show.

About to start Sick Note and Legion.

Recently watched Rake (There's five seasons on netflix), really liked that show. Its a shame the MC is leaving, can't see it being a show without him, tbh.

Anyone got any recs for good British procedural or whodunit drama? Its my guilty pleasure. Like watching it more than I like watching the network shows they have on TV here.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Legion will rock your world. Such a great show.

For whudunnits, go Broadchurch and Luther if you haven't already. For procs, Vera (as long as you have captions).

20. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Yeah, second legion. Particularly the first season, it's up there with my all time most enjoyable tv: true detective, breaking bad, that sorta thing.