1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2018

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Venom has its issues.

It needed to be rated R and it needed to have gore.

The symbiote came off too ridiculous at times, wish they'd played him more straight.

Certain fight scenes were transformers level clusterfucky.

He wasn't enough of an anti-hero. Almost had a good guy ending.

Having said all that I think Hardy is brilliant as usual. The movie is nowhere near as bad as people are claiming. A solid 6/6.5 for me.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Venom was pretty great. I enjoyed the back and forth between him and Eddie. Couple of nice references in there. I honestly didn't mind the lack of gore; decapitated is decapitated. Would've preferred a bit less uncertainty in the lobby fight scene regarding lethality. The bossfight towards the end didn't really grab me though.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Comic book movies are super not my thing, but this has a pretty interesting amount of charisma for a trailer. Kind of giving me Lego Movie vibes, where there's a lot of winking at the audience and humor above the plane of the subject matter.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    The end boss fight reminded me a lot of transformers. Lots of confusing CGI and headache inducing camera angles. That being said, when it went slowmo, it looks freaking gorgeous.

5. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Bad Times at the El Royale was fun as hell. Not sure what I watched, but very enjoyable. Felt it did a good job building interesting characters in a relatively short amount of time.

Also some tremendously fucked up undertones which I'm always here for. Would recommend.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    Glad to hear, that trailer looked really interesting!

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Went and saw the third Johnnie English yesterday. It was better than I feared, but worse than I had hoped.

The plot has holes the prominently featured yacht could‘ve fit through, the villain was as featureless and bland as his plan was stupid, and if BMW didn‘t pay handsomely for what essentially amounted to a five-minute ad break in the middle of the film I will publicly eat a deerstalker hat in my local town square, but the physical comedy and most of the other humourous bits were on point. In particular, there are lots of Bean references I enjoyed, and it was a great to have Ben Miller back as Bough. Emma Thompson was thorouhly wasted, though.

Can‘t say too much about the finer points of acting performances, since I had to watch the dubbed German version. As the female lead, I vastly preferred Rosamund Pike from the second film over Olga Kurylenko, but that‘s just personal preference, I suppose.

All in all, a solid 6.5/10, rounded up to 7 for nostalgia.

8. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Fully agreed. It's a very fun movie, thanks almost solely due to Hardy and Venom parts. Everyone else looked lost, which is understandable, because this movie really didn't know what it wanted to be like? A Villain movie? A 90's anti-hero movie? The Marvel 'meta not taking itself seriously' version of a 90's anti-hero movie? But in the end it was entertaining, and the main lead sold me. Solid 6-6.5 from me too.

Meanwhile, talking about trailers:
    Spiderman into the Spiderverse reminds me of Spectacular Spiderman. That's great because that wasy my favorite super-hero cartoon since JLU. Only thing I didn't like much was Peter's voice. Here's to me finally seeing why people like Morales so much.

Aquaman. Looks terrible, all problems that plague Batman vs Superman AND Suicide Squad seems to have made an appearance there. Super cringy dialogue, stupid cinematography, terrible chemistry between the characters, a villain that makes no sense, an inability to decide what it wants besides cheap attempts at mimicking Marvel and the old Superman movies, and much more.

9. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Saw this last Friday at one of those theaters where every seat is a recliner.

Spoilers-ish -

I'd say I really enjoyed like 75% of it. There are individual scenes that are just really, really well done. Jeff Bridges, when he's explaining his backstory, and it gets to the part about his memory issues, that long close-up of his face, is just... ooph. Fucking solid acting. That part got me. Jon Hamm exploring the secret part of the hotel. Both times someone turned on the mic and Cynthia Erivo's singing became the soundtrack for the scene. She's got a killer voice, and the lack of instrumentation backing it made it seem almost unsettling as well as beautiful.

I'm not sure the movie really held together cohesively, though. It's 2 hours and 45 minutes long, and it felt like they really didn't need those last 45 minutes. Hemsworth as the antagonist almost felt... tacked on, or something? I mean that long confrontation at the end was a pretty good scene just by itself, but it felt like it barely had anything to do with the rest of the movie.

I think the film did a great job of making the characters interesting even though it only showed bits and pieces of their backstory (Hamm notwithstanding), but it didn't draw them together into a cohesive web where it felt like there was really a story, just a series of thematically connected set pieces.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bohemian Rhapsody was fucking great. Go see it.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    God damn it. I will say that Bohemian Rhapsody was amazing, but that does not mean I'm agreeing with Scott. That's irrelevant.

Bohemian Rhapsody was a great movie. I loved it from start to finish. If anything, I only wish we'd seen more of the classic Queen era.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    @Scott, why does everyone dislike you? Are you racist or something?

13. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

It's because of my last name. They're still looking for Lacy Peterson.

14. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Going into Venom with very low expectations is the key to really enjoying it. Thoroughly enjoyable movie as long as you don't think about it too hard and turn your brain off a little.

15. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I had no expectations and was still disappointed. Awful antagonist and boring. I like Tom Hardy a lot but the movie didn't work for me.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I didn't think it was all that bad. I had no expectations and I wasn't disappointed. Although I felt like the build up could have went a lot faster.

17. douter

douter Sixth Year

High Score:
    Just got back from seeing Suspiria which is a remake of a movie from the 70's that I haven't seen.

Now this is a weird fucking movie, I wouldn't really call it a horror movie more of a thriller with a supernaturnatural twist that is deeply unsettling.

Tilda Swinton is amazing in this movie as well as Dakota Johnson.

But damm this was weird movie.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparently Robin Hood only has a 13% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Anyone seen it?

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    I hear that it tries to be Batman and Zero Dark Thirty. Trailers look like Suicide Squad: super edgy grimdark take on a classic tale, the screen is probably dark as shit most of the time, and I bet the finale takes place at night in rain. And that it has a sequel bait ending.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pity. It looked somewhat interesting as a popcorn flick, but I like Taron Egerton and Foxx as actors. Too bad.