1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Marvel is smart enough to not put any one Avenger on Thanos' level until post Infinity War. Like... I doubt Odinforce Thor will be a thing anytime soon, and they'll probably put a hard cap on Danvers (something like absorbing too much power will kill her).

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

New Captain Marvel trailer. Given she's flying around in space unassisted, not quite sure whether that power level statement is accurate.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd love another Cap movie from the Russo brothers.

Can someone who knows comics indicate if I should expect Cpt Marvel to be the Superman of MCU and summarily snatch the top power level spot from Thor? That's pretty much what the IW post credits scene points to.

4. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

5. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

1. There was a statement given out months ago that said CM would be the most powerful hero in the MCU.

While she's pretty powerful in the comics, she's upper-mid-tier in comparison to the really heavy hitters.

2. I'm assuming the helmet or the suit is capable of producing an environmental shield capable of traveling short distances in space, under water, etc.

3. The glowy eye thing CM does is usually indicative of her Binary powers in comics. That jumps her up there in the high tier heroes power levels in
    Strength (Incalculable levels)
    Speed (the speed of light)
    Hyper Cosmic Awareness - precognition, etc.
    Space flight - with no aid
    Energy Constructs - Green Lantern WTF! She had control of all energy on the electromagnetic spectrum on a solar scale.

We don't know as of yet if this is something she has access to all the time or only during "special" situations. In the comics she is shown to only use Binary powers every once in a while, plot related most likely.

So, yeah... pretty damn powerful. But the MCU has had a history of dumbing down everyone's power to "realistic" levels. Carol looks to be taken straight from the comic.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So you're telling me my boy Thor took his first steps into the shoes left by Odin Allfather and he's immediately got someone more powerful than him?

7. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    Yeah, in the normal form, she could already absorb any type of energy (like Sonic Klaw's waves and all), but Binary takes it to an insane level.

Well, in the comics, while Carol in her Binary form is pretty powerful, she doesn't reach quite the Thor level (at least while he had Odinforce and all the Mjolnir fuckery with different powers). But seeing how the producers said she would be the most powerful hero on the MCU... yea, I think so. Anticlimactic as all hell.

It seems a bit strange that instead of presenting Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, who is a confident, bizarrely powerful black woman (and seeing how Black Panther racked the dough with a free marketing campaign because of that), they choose Carol. Like, they were hyping Carol since Secret Wars in the comics, but it was a missed opportunity.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Odds are that all the original Avengers are going to be faded out a great deal. They've already fulfilled their contracts and will most likely cameo in the future at times. So, they need a new powerhouse or two to fill those positions.

I'm not overly annoyed by the substitutes, just as long as they don't disrespect the original characters like they did with Shuri to Tony & Bruce. And as long as they don't SJW the entire team.

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Need to save her for the Nextwave film

10. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

To be fair, she is black AND a woman. That's like a multiplicative wokeness modifier.

11. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    I am still mad about this bullshit, that Banner couldn't do in days what Shuri did in, like, forty minutes. Though, iirc, Tony wasn't in the scene, and he was the greater mastermind behind Ultron and robotics. Even then, seems like Marvel really tried to pass the message that Shuri > them and fuck everyone else.

Well count me fucking in if they do that, it would be awesome.

12. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I mean it's Disney IP, so that's basically the trend. In ten years or so, I predict that this will appear fair by comparison.

13. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Wait, so the trailer makes it seem like her powers come from the infusion of Kree blood and genetic transformation but if CM is gonna be on Thanos's level, doesn't that kinda mean that there's a whole race of people who're up there with them? Also, isn't Thor pretty much at Thanos's level as well at this point? Didn't Thanos survive Thor's kill shot only because it missed his head and the Infinity Gauntlet allowed him to escape?

14. Heather_Sinclair

MCU Thor has trouble with Hulk. Thanos easily beat Hulk without using the Power stone.

In Agents of SHIELD, Sif handles a Kree agent in hand to hand. Weapons is a different question.

Ronan the Accuser (Kree), with his Universal Weapon is pretty powerful. Even without the Power stone attached, but still has trouble against the likes of the Nova Corps. Thanos annihilated the Nova Corps. In fact the MCU Nova Corps suck balls compared to the Comic version.

So Kree < Thanos

I'm thinking CM is going to be a typical Kree warrior power-wise until she finds her power-up somewhere and activates her Binary powers to go head to head with Thanos at the end of the movie. Point is that we'll have to wait for the movie in order to see how they are going to explain all of this. Doing it through the trailer is futile.

15. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

That was before Thors power up though. In Thor 1, he needed his hammer to deflect the Destroyers attacks. In IW, he withstood the full force of a star. He was also about to whoop the Hulks ass in Ragnarok before the Grandmaster interfered. The MCU has seriously gimped the Hulk over the last two movies so he's really not much of a milestone anymore.

Either that or some "your humanity allows you to surpass normal limitations" bullshit but you're right, speculating how they're going to give her that boost through the trailer pointless.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm just sad that we're getting a Deus Ex Machina character as the savior of the MCU

17. Heather_Sinclair

If you want to look at it that way then Dr. Strange is the DEX since he found the only way to win was to give Thanos the Time stone. Yes, CM will only have one movie under her belt. So does he. In fact, a lot of the characters are.

I looked at the possible Phase Four movies and it's not looking good.

Eternals- What? I mean What? Why?
    Shang-Chi- Master of Kung Fu Because we need actual Kung-Fu in the MCU?
    Black Widow - Missed the timing by a mile. This should have already been a thing in Phase 2.
    GotG 3 - The last hurrah.
    BP2- Meh. I really didn't think this was the ultimate movie a lot of people did. It was... okay.
    Dr. S 2 - Same as above.
    and Spider-Man 2 - About the only movie I'm looking forward to.

They've got eight spaces reserved for possibilities, so there will be one more.

I'm just not seeing where they can go with this line up.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    We're two films away from finding out how the day is saved. Seems a little premature to dismiss her as a deus ex machina.

19. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I guess my big question is who they could use as a final boss-type villain for everyone remaining, really. Dr. Doom maybe? They own all the properties they need to do it, and that would be a great role to entice a big name into as well.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh...Not really? Yeah the movies could prove me wrong, but when you have characters who have been around since the beginning (ironman, thor, captain america) and they don't take thanos down but some character suddenly appears and can fight on par with thanos...it just reads like jobbing characters in order to build up this new one.

Thor should be the one to kill Thanos.