1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age 4 Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Dasha, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Dasha

Dasha Second Year DLP Supporter

Here is the teaser:

It's not much, but there is Solas's voice and image of the Dread Wolf opposing some figure over a lirium idol from DAII. I know the game is not going to be out for a while, but I like the series and it's the first sign of life since 2015. Is anyone else here looking forward to it?

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'd be all over that game if it wasn't for EA publishing it. I'm as sure as I can be that it's going to be a mess as a direct result of that.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read that it's still years away, likely not before 2020 at least. Anthem is coming next year and EA wants it to be some 10 year plan miracle. It's an unestablished new IP that bears the curse of being "the game that took dev resources away from ME:Andromeda", regardless of whether that's true or not.

Unless Anthem flops completely and EA decides not to pour money into it anyway, I can't see DA4 arriving before late 2021. People have speculated since Trespasser that DA4 was going to continue Solas' storyline and possibly be set in Tevinter, so this isn't even anything new, really.

Don't see the point of the teaser tbh... Unless EA wants to begin raising awareness of DA4 because they expect Anthem to flop. DA is the only big brand they've got left (outside of annual FIFA) that hasn't yet been fucked into the ground by the retardation of the last few years.

Of course, my personal hope is that Anthem flops, DA4 flops, and EA burns to the ground, but I realize that's unlikely given all the money they make from FIFA Ultimate Team.

Edit: not to mention that it'll be the first DA game without Mike Laidlaw helming it, and it comes after the Year of the Lootbox, ME:A, Battlefront II, and Battlefield V. Chances that it is going to be anything but a garbage fire are fucking slim.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Fuck off.

I loved Origins, loved DA2, loved Inquisition and can't fuckin wait for DA4, but I'm glad you hope a game is bad so that a company can go under, fuck the individual who enjoys em, they can fuck off and die.

It's my very favorite game series of all time, my favorite game world of all time and I'm so excited for the 4th installment.

5. Agayek

Origins is easily one of, if not the best games of all time.

DA2 had a few interesting ideas, but they couldn't save it from the rushed dumpster fire of wank and disappointment that EA turned it into.

Inquisition was actually pretty good on the whole, though the mission table nonsense EA stuck in so they could push players onto a mobile app can fuck right off.

I quite like the series on the whole and find the world to be fascinating, but my liking it doesn't change the fact that the last several big-name EA games have been disasters, starting all the way back with Mass Effect Andromeda and, somehow, going downhill from there. Unless something major changes in EA management in the near future (which, admittedly, is very possible given what their stock prices have been doing the last few months), it's highly unlikely that DA4 is going to buck the trend.

I'm hoping EA pulls their head out of their ass and actually delivers on the potential, but I would honestly be shocked if they did. I'm fully expecting another Andromeda or, somehow, Fallout 76 level disaster from this game, just from the pattern of the last few years.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

It's truly a hot take and I suppose I'll be called the reason games are dying and the personification of EA sycophancy, but I'm buying DA4, day one, even if alpha and beta looks are saying it's the Duke Nukem Forever, Battlefront P2W, Transformers of Dragon Age.

To be honest, I'm only mad because shithead up there said he wants a game to be bad for his own personal amusement, fuck anyone else. @ScottPress just wants to watch fans be upset. I'm sure he'll be very proud and happy, giggling while consuming popcorn. Either way, I suppose I should be done, better for my already elevated BP

FOAD

this was some fucked up butthurt shit and I already apologized

7. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    I am trying to feel optimist about it, I swear I am trying because Dragon Age is awesome. But just as a cute little blonde girl with short shorts deep up her butt feels after the pizza she ordered has a hole in the middle and the dick of the deliveryman flopping on the pepperoni, I just know that EA will grab my dreams and fuck them right in the ass.

8. Agayek

I mean, go ahead? It's your money. I'm just trying to caution against blindly fanboying into disappointment. There's lots of that going around with EA titles recently, so it behooves us all to tred cautiously.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    DA:O was great, DA2 was fun. I didn't touch DA:I because after ME3 I wrote BW off. After Battlefront 2015 I wrote off EA as a whole. They make the industry worse every year and a single game is not worth keeping them around. So eat a bag of dicks, shithead. Idiots like you, buying EA's anal leakage day 1, are the people sending EA the message that you can fuck up everything you touch, but people will still shill out for your trash because it's under a particular IP, no matter how rotten it is.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

I was told I was going to be disappointed by DA2, I was told I was gonna HATE DA:I, and I loved both of em.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inquisition was fanfuckingtastic imo. It fully deserved the many GOTY accolades.

All they have to do for DA4 is clone DA3's game mechanics and write a semi-interesting story and voila they'll have a winner.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    From what I saw of gameplay (and I saw a lot, I just refused to give EA money) I think there was a lot of good value in DA:I, but at the same time they did shit like limiting the PC hotbar to 8 keys (cough ported from console cough) and gutted companion tactics, where the DA2 system was a stroke of motherfucking brilliance. I'm never buying anything from EA again, I don't care what they release. If it's EA, it's not worth my money.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

I somewhat agree. THey need to take the criticism from DA:I, read: fetch quests and huge maps that are somehow empty, neutered tactics, and move on. I agree that a Solas + decaying Tevinter Imperium story backed up by established game and codex lore is very worth telling, but pls

edit: for real, I'm done being righteously mad in respect for my favorite IP and am ready for actual discussion.

14. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    Don't forget that these are the fuckers who looked at ME3 and thought it had something even resembling a quality story.

15. Dasha

Dasha Second Year DLP Supporter

I think I have lower standards than most gamers seem to. I didn't hate Andromeda (or DAII even), though I could have certainly done without the bugs. And in three years I will probably accumulate enough nostalgia that I am struggling to see myself not buying it (I know, part of the problem).

It maybe overly optimistic, but I think three year period is a good thing. If it were coming out soon it would be almost guaranteed to be underdeveloped cash grab, but it might still get at least three years of almost exclusive development. So I will keep looking forward to it. It's my favorite ongoing series.

I am more worried about missing Gaider than about Laidlaw and hope they manage to stay consistent. But I won't pretend to know much about development crew.

What would you like/expect to see in the new game?

I would really love it if they return the full " backstory level". DAI went back to it a little bit, but it wasn't enough for me.
    Also would like a more customizable home fortress. Skyhold was't bad, but I wish it had more impact.

16. MonkeyEpoxy

I also have to say, the only problem with ME3 was the Catalyst + 3 colors, and I'm having a hard time thinking of a better version. I mean, it'd be more realistic if the game ended with a complete Reaper victory, but that's not vidya realistic.

I also have to say, gimme a Mass Effect 4 where the current Citadel cycle was harvested and the game comprised of the Yahg, Raloi, Virtual species and the previous cycles' remnants were the main players. It's be easy to add a religious component with regard to the shepard and other shit, keep the tech and enemy, but forge new protagonists

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm optimistic. I remember hearing multiple times that the DA and ME creative teams are distinct entities that have virtually zero interaction with each other.

You didn't do the console clock reset bypass? Finished every mission in a single day bruh.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

I agree with that my Khan friend, but we shouldn't have to exploit a game mechanic for optimal enjoyment.

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    The problem with ME3's story wasn't that the ending was 3 colors and little variation. The problem was that there was a choice at all. They wrote a strong as fuck beginning, but chickened out on writing a strong ending. "Here are 3 options, you do our job for us and write the ending." Nah. We spent 3 games building up to what we all knew should have been the end: an epic boss battle against Harbinger, then victory. The ending wasn't fucked because of the Teleport Beam, the Corpse Corridor, TIM, paragade checks, the Catalyst and the colors.

We should have had the boss fight and the bittersweet destroy ending as canon, and the only option: yes, sacrifices had to be made. Yes, geth died, after we just gave them sentience and made peace on Rannoch. Yes, the relays were destroyed, and now billions of soldiers of all species are trapped on a desolate Earth. But there's a spark of hope. We have the Reaper tech from dead Reapers. The epilogue slideshow could have shown us rising from the ashes of the war into a new future, with a sappy but inspiring remix of an iconic track playing.

Instead we got 3 variations of Joker exiting the Normandy. He was covered in green glitter in one of them.

Someone wrote that fanfic.

20. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

DA:O is a top 3 GOAT game for me (though the combat makes replay tedious), DA2 is shit, DA3 is above average. So, all in all, I guess I'm cautiously optimistic. Needs some Morrigan trailers though.