1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

A Galactus that doesn't suck could work.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So...there's been a specific statement that Captain Marvel is going to be the one to land the killing blow?

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nope. But when they are saying that CM is the strongest character in the MCU...it could be assumed. Even if not...it doesn't feel like the character has earned the right to be more powerful than the Big Three.

Strange is a bit different because he's bringing in a different type of power (magic) whereas CM is still in the same Category as Thor/Tony/Steve (Brute force/power)

4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

"Most powerful superhero" was the quote, not "character." Thanos, with the Stones, is much more powerful.

We could nitpick all day about power categories and versus arguments, but it comes down to how it will be portrayed in the next two movies. CM might very well earn it or it my be a "Women Power" thing where she defeats Thanos with the awesomeness of her Binary-powered uterus. We won't know until the movies actually come out. Shoehorning her into a DEX is ridiculous when you have nothing to go on except speculation about one offscreen line uttered by a Disney exec.

After so many movies with so few disappointments, I think they've earned the benefit of doubt until the movies are released. This isn't the DCEU.

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    It's not just one offscreen line. It's Fury at the end of IW paging her...implying that she is going to be the one tosave us all.

You're right, it's not the DCEU. The DCEU doesn't put down established characters in order to make new ones seem better. The MCU has already proven that they will do that (See Shuri).

Listen, I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but CM is coming in at the wrong time. If her movie had happened before IW I would be far less worried, but having a new character who's implied to be a savior just now showing up reeks of DEX when it would be far more appropriate to have Tony/Steve/Thor be the primary focus of taking Thanos down.

6. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That's what it seemed like it would be when only the original Avengers survived the great purge. There's no doubt they'll play a role, and the way I interpreted the page to Captain Marvel was really only saying that the Avengers would need help, which is fair, since they weren't able to stop Thanos with the entire nation of Wakanda helping them.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    If they go that route and have Carol more as a supporting character/passing of the torch I'm totally down. Just worried she is going to overshadow them. I want to see them go out with a bang.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just think it'll be disappointing if CM does end up being the key to defeating Thanos, when IW deliciously delivered on all the setup from across previous teamup films. The original Avengers reunite after Civil War and Ragnarok for their ultimate showdown with the ultimate (so far) villain, one last ride in their ultimate OP incarnations before the passing of the torch to Spiderman, Scarlet Witch, Cpt Marvel etc. Spiderman especially was very well utilized in the MCU as a natural heir to Tony's tech genius superhero throne. With CM's solo film coming right before the final Thanos showdown and being set apart in time from all other MCU movies, I fear her entrance might be a big stumble if she steals the thunder from the obvious candidates for Thanos' nemesis: Tony and Thor.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    I know we are getting the Cartoon into the spiderverse movie...

But I really hope we get a Marvel Spiderverse movie with Holland, Tobie, Emma Stone, and Garfield. Tobie's Spiderman would be the married, settled down one with Mary Jane and a kid. Emma Stone is spider-gwen. Garfield could be the depressed broken spiderman.

Would be dope.

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

TADAAAAA!!!

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I never got around to watching AntMan & The Wasp, was there something there that implied a way around Thanos' shenanigans extremely well thought out plan and its consequences?

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Not much to say yet, but I am most intrigued about what Tony’s up to.
    His message implies that Pepper survived the Snap, though.
    Also, I got some really weird Mass Effect vibes from the exterior shots (hauntingly beautiful) and his helmet.

EDIT: Added spoiler tags.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not explicitly, and not in the film itself, but in the stinger:

Scott goes into the Quantum Realm to farm some energy, being warned about not getting too close to some sort of temporal thing while he's in there. Stinger closes with him still in there while Hank, Hope and Janet get dusted. Popular assumption, and possibly confirmed through leaks, although I've avoided anything unofficial, is that this is going to be used to travel back in time.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God I hope they don't do time travel. Laziest way to restore everyone.

15. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    Sadly, it's pretty much set into stone already. https://screenrant.com/avengers-4-time-travel-confirmed/

Avengers 4 began filming in August last year, picking up straight after Infinity War, and it didn't take long for set photos to hit the Internet. Many of these showed characters suited up in classic costumes, harking back to 2012's The Avengers: Chris Hemsworth was seen sporting his flowing golden locks; Chris Evans was spotted wearing that "old-fashioned" costume. One set of images even showed Loki in chains being led away for his imprisonment in Asgard.

Other set photos and casting calls suggested there would be more flashbacks. Evangeline Lilly dropped a set photo showing her hair in a bob; while Hope Van Dyne wore her hair in that style in Ant-Man, set photos have confirmed she's ditched it by the time of Ant-Man and the Wasp. Chris Evans was snapped filming a scene set in the past, as he walked down a street filled with classic cars. A photo of Robert Downey Jr. showed him wearing a S.H.I.E.L.D. tactical vest — an organization that is now defunct. Marvel casting calls included an appeal for actors to play an office scene set in the '60s.

Finally, there's evidence that characters who have long been dead will actually be returning in Avengers 4. There have been rumors Frank Grillo would reprise the role of Crossbones, for example. Those were apparently confirmed when Grillo, alongside Marvel stars such as Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr., attended an event in Atlanta. They were also accompanied by Maximiliano Hernandez, who played the late Agent Sitwell (killed in Captain America: The Winter Soldier).

16. Silirt

I could have sworn that they were still alive inside the Soul Stone or something and that was how they were going to come back. That said, the Infinity Gauntlet is like the definition of galactic cheat codes, so it's on the same level of plot device as time travel.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One thing though. Since Thanos has the Gauntlet, why can't he just erase the Avengers out of existence the moment he sniffs out they're up to something? I know the Gauntlet looked fried after the Snap, but Thanos still used it to teleport away and presumably to heal the massive hole in his chest. Does Thanos not have the use of the Stones at this point?

We over here at DLP may be meh on time travel as a plot device because of HP fanfic, but count the number of times time travel was used well in recent films. Predestination is one. The Russos are 3/3 on baller MCU movies, and Endgame was filmed back to back with IW, so I think it's at least safe to look forward to a fucking awesome time.

What's with Hawkeye looking like a ninja? I mean, more than he already was. And someone has to die, right? This is the GOT fan in me talking, but if everything gets fixed perfectly and all the original Avengers just retire, the film will have been robbed of high stakes.

18. Inert

Inert Headmaster

At least one Avenger has to die. I'm pulling for two.

My original money was on Cap but Evans renewed his contract apparently so...who knows. I'm rooting for Tony though. I'm over him and would like to see new guys take a leadership role (Strange, Spiderman, etc.).

19. Silirt

They really need some way of covering up whose contract gets renewed and whose doesn't.

20. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    As long as they don't do the same bullshit of picking a token uber!genius black girl coming from fucking nowhere (I am looking at you, Shuri) to be the next Iron Man like in the comics (or worse, Iron Heart), I am all for Tony dying too.

He's probably in his Ronin uniform.