1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's worth remembering that Harry was not a horcrux. A horcrux is a receptacle which has been prepared for that role with many enchantments. Harry is just a person with a bit of soul accidentally latched onto him. No preparation, no enchantments.

2. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Which is the fastest magical creature?

3. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Severus Snape confronted with shampoo, why do you ask?

4. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

Probably a dragons or thestrals, because they can fly.

5. Doxy

Doxy Muggle

This does open up a minor puzzle: I would be glad if anyone has any additional information on the matter, as I have a small story that involves the Riddle murders, and what might have happened to the house in the interim.

It is clear from the context that the Muggle villagers who discuss the matter in Little Hangleton don't actually know whether tax is actually a plausible explanation for the owner's actions. It is also significant that, when Voldemort occupies the house with Wormtail & Nagini, he does not appear to expect any interference from the owner.

Some of the potential explanations I have been playing with for the purposes of my story are:

- Voldemort could have cursed any occupant of the House in the same way as he cursed the DADA position. This would explain why no one stays for long, and why an owner interested in non-occupancy only is unaffected.

- Voldemort himself has established title to the House as Tom Riddle (or possibly another Muggle identity of his), either by obtaining significant Muggle wealth in one way or another, and vesting the house in a trust which has sufficient income to pay Frank Bryce's wages, or simply by Confounding the relevant official and legal authorities.

- One of Voldemort's wealthier supporters (the Malfoys are obvious candidates) has acquired the House on his behalf.

I would be interested if there is anything in canon which rules out any of these possibilities.

6. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

I have a question. Is there a thread where I can find a beta reader? And if not is there a good site to go to that will recommend beta readers? I have a story I'm working on, and I'm unclear whether I can post it on WBA without beta-ing.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You can post in WbA without beta. Keep in mind that you will get honest critique, which means that it can come off as harsh.

We all collectively beta for you there. But, also keep in mind, that WbA is for polishing a story, more than betaing. So along with grammar, people will tear apart the story itself. So, feel free to post it there. I'll give it a look, and then you can kinda suss out who you want for a beta. I think we have a thread, but its not seen any activity in a bit.

@Halt @Sey @CareOtters , myself, and a couple others usually keep an eye on WbA and go through stories and review them with the goal of improvement.

8. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

Thanks! Thats really helpful, and I might post in WbA once I feel it won't be immediately torn apart.

9. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

The best advice would be two-fold:

One, once you've finished writing, do your edits or whatever your process is and then stop before publishing. Don't upload it hot off the press if there's no urgency to, beyond your own natural excitement, rather, give it a day or two before your final review to lend yourself some objectivity.

Secondly, after a while (yeah, lets say forty-eight hours), look over your work and read it out loud, verbally. This makes you go slowly and pick out stray commas and odd expressions much more easily than reading in your head, and you can then fix it up..

After that, if there's no glaring problem that you've identified yourself and you think it's ready then put it in WBA and you might have things that you don't know/recognise pointed out to you. This means it'll be the stuff you actually want help with rather than stuff you can solve by yourself and it'll be super helpful. We can be critical and say we don't like a premise but that doesn't get in the way of pointing out good stuff to improve on and it should be useful.

Also, check out Halt's writing thread for the sort of stuff to expect, more generally.

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fastest as in move from A to B? House Elves, since they have some elf version of apparition.

Does Fawkes ever do the flash teleport thing in the books or is that just the movie? If so, then they get there too.

Thestrals did the trip from Hogwarts to London at a fairly good clip.

Magical Owls though might outdo Thestrals, do we ever have any indicators as to how fast Hedwig goes from Surrey to the Burrow or Number 10?

Fastest as in most likely to move on from A to B? Cho Chang.

11. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Jesus, vlad she doesn't even have a danger rating in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fantastic Breasts and Where to Find Them, otoh...

13. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

It's done in the books too.

14. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Rowling recently revealed that Wizards simply shat themselves where they stood. However the vanishing spell is not taught until 5th year on Hogwarts.

Does it mean that everyone at the age of 11 or even younger was taught the vanishing spell first before anything or the parents/teachers simply vanished the "evidence"?

15. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Presumably yes, to both questions. Alternatively, the restrictions on wand usage were different then as well.

Better question: what was the response when, after plumbing was adopted, people lost the right to use magic outside school? Because either that's only been in place since the 18th century, or wizards and witches had to rely on family members to clean up their mess until they were 17.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  16. Darrell Malik

Darrell Malik Squib

Could a 'halfblood' like Harry, Snape, or Voldemort ever be considered 'pureblood', or will they always be 'halfbloods' because of thier Muggle ancestry?

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's made clear that there are various definitions around. The formal one is implied (does anyone have a clear source for that?) to be all-magical grandparents -- so if Harry does the proper thing and marries Daphne Greengrass, they are going to produce delightful little pureblood wizards and witches.

That's separate from what goes on in Lucius Malfoy's head, though. Here, "pureblood" means as much a certain social place as anything -- or at least a demand for such, which was the original angle for Voldemort to gather followers, citing the lack of it -- and is largely a pretense, because they just ignore all muggle branches of their family and presto, pureblood for gazillion generations. As Harry is not going to do that, Lucius Malfoy is not going to ever consider Harry a pureblood and an equal, no.

Sources, e.g.:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100526160148/http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/faq_view.cfm?id=58
    https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/pure-blood

18. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm tinkering how different outcomes to various events in the first book will effect Harry future.

Point of divergence is Harry being more cautious, he won't attempt to chase Malfoy in their first flying lesson.
    So no Seeker Harry, he is just regular first year albeit quite famous.

Trying to figure out, how second year will go down, if Harry isn't on the Quidditch team.
    The Weasley twins and other members didn't have a chance to get to know him.
    How heir of Slytherin will play out? (the reaction of Gryffindor to his revealed skill).

Note: Harry and Ron will be still good friends, maybe even Hermione (not sure how the Troll incident will play out)

19. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

@Methos: This thread is for canon facts, not speculation.

@everyone: Is there a canon source for the length of time spent in Shell Cottage by the trio in DH ? I can't find anything precise (not even date of birth for Teddy or death for Peter) or any real clue in the books, but I had "two weeks" in my head for whatever reason.

20. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

It says it's March when they get caught and brought to the Malfoys. Narcissa also says Draco is home for Easter holidays, and Easter can happen late March at the earliest, so presumably it was the last week of March they ended up at the Malfoys and thereafter Shell Cottage. And they leave on May 1.

So they spent 4-5 weeks at Shell's Cottage.