1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite fanfic of all time?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Maelstorm212, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Maelstorm212

Maelstorm212 First Year

Have to pick one

2. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
  3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Guess it was a time to revive this. Since we have like thirty different versions of this thread.
    Screenshot_20190112-093221.png

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It's been a while. Seems harmless.

My favorite is definitely My Immortal. To be more serious, I'm not sure I could choose a favorite. For one, I've read a lot over the years and stories I liked when I was young I look back on with great fondness and would never read again -- most have not held up well. Beyond that, it depends on the day or mood.

Since I've been on a bit of a horror kick, I'll say that for today, my favorite is an old Ruskbyte great one-shot, Evil Be Thou My Good. Another day it might be one of nonjon's.

5. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I continue to go back to The Unforgiving Minute as my all-time favorite.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gotta go with PotDK. Characters (Voldemort, Harry, Snape), worldbuilding, plot. It does so many things so well.

7. Zombie

Clock on the Face of Hell by IdSayWhyNot

Too bad he abandoned it when it got so good.

Did this ever get finished. I feel like this is the originator of all the Pureblood pagan shit.

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly I got a bit of sand in my vagina when I saw this thread, but on reflection fuck it, this discussion is among the few worth having over and over again. Unlike, say, Wizards Vs Muggles, we're all likely to give different answers after time has passed so perhaps it can add value to the forums despite being low-effort noob bullshit.

I wouldn't want to pick an all-time favourite, but my favourite among things I read for the first time in the past twelve months has got to be Ryuugi's Ceaseless Flow.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

On the Wings of a Phoenix. So many ground breaking ideas in the story, though it's marred by Harry being passive and apathetic.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sadly, it remains abandoned. I don't know if it was the first with the pagan stuff, but I'm sure it was influential, even though it's really only Harry, Voldemort, and werewolves doing the pagan staff.

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It changes, day by day. Sometimes it's The Changeling, sometimes Traitor's Son, sometimes Forging the Sword or even The Last Avatar.

But if we go by what I revisit most often, what has passages that I know by heart but still love rereading, what I most wish for more of, no matter the form - then it has to be @Lamora's The Game of Champions.

13. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

I think my favourite is In Shadows and Darkness by Blank101. The entire trilogy is great, but book two is my favourite as it has Luke coming into his own whilst still giving Palapatine a load of screentime. Great ending as well.

Throughout the trilogy I simply love the characterisation, especially Palpatine and to a lesser extent Luke. It's also one of the few fics where there's nothing that jars suspension of disbelief (assuming you can buy into the SW universe that is). The actions of all the characters are internally logical, the overall knock on effects make sense, the character progression seems organic and relates to the character's experience and nothing seems to be shoehorned in just for the sake of plot. It's good stuff, especially considering the convoluted 'political' aspects of the subject matter, which must be hard to track for any author.

In the HP universe, I have a soft spot for Santi's HP and the Boy Who Lived. I can't really put my finger on why though, I think it's just that I find that Harry very relatable and the magic system is done well. Shame it's abandoned, or near enough.

14. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Mmm, if we are talking HP its Ectomancer by RustyRed Its really a phenomenal piece, if you have never read it I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't exactly call it second place but I've always had a real soft spot for An Unfound Door by Joe.

If we are talking Worm, I have a hard time picking one, I don't want to count Alt-Powers as actually FF same with SI/OC fics. So if I had to pick I'd say Atonement. Its what I'd consider actual fanfiction. With it picking a PoD or an alternate to the actual source material while not staying to stations of canon. Basically the main character of Worm, Taylor, dies during her power up sequence.

Now for ASOIAF, I would have to pick, Wyrm and Cub, its not Peggy Sue, SI or any other dumb shit as much as I love those contrived AUs there just aren't what I'd consider pure FF.

15. Miner

Miner Order Member

I'll honor my heart (A Long Journey Home) over my head (The Song of the Trees)

16. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

It's really hard to say.

I'd go batman 1939: the dangers of being cold, or Hitchups or A Dragon From Ash just generally.

Three or Son of a Western Sea for Percy Jackson.

Harry Potter is extremely difficult. I'm going to have to give it to either Skitterleap or maybe The Shadow of Angmar? I think with HP I could answer differently each day.

17. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Honestly, I think if I had to pick just one, I’d say it’s Dragon From Ash. It’s just so... finely crafted. There are like three or four huge pitfalls / tightrope acts that it passes with flying colors: OC main character, canon rehash, infodump/chapter bloat...

The dialogue is so sharp, and the way it pulls you in and gets you rooting for the main character is fantastic.

18. Clytiusm

Clytiusm Muggle

I gotta go with Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi.....
    Pretty original fic with well hashed out OC's
    Gotta admit I have a soft spot for the whole WBWL trope though

19. Zombie

It hurts my heart every time that's brought up..

20. gamarad

gamarad Fourth Year