1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite fanfic of all time?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Maelstorm212, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    My favourite oneshot would have to be The Tale of the Three Brothers by IdSayWhyNot. As for longer stories A Cadmean Victory by Darknessenthroned is certainly up there, though that could just be nostalgia talking.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The Lesser Sadness by Newcomb.

I light a candle every night with hope that it will be continued.

3. harryphoenix

harryphoenix Squib

For HP I'm going to have to go with Wastelands of Time. It's a typical answer but I just enjoy it so much that I built a D&D campaign based on it that my players (who don't read fanfiction and were thus unaware of what was going on) loved. It's held up so well and it's one of the few stories I can re-read with no problems.

For current hyperfixation, Hero Class Civil Warfare is my jam.

But of all time? I'm definitely a whore for The Game of Champions. I'm glad Lamora is writing out the remaining plot.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think Prince of the Dark Kingdom may be my favorite as well.

There are certainly better written fanfics (the Changeling), some with better plots, some more original.... but all together, it has to be PotDK. It has some of the best character building I've ever seen in an major AU while still keeping it feeling canon-like.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I mean, Second Chance at Life really ranks up there to be honest. I kinda regret the top fic I chose before. Harry was a goddamn Thunderbird in that one.

6. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Heh. I hated that fic so much.

My answer changes every time I'm asked this question. Once, it would have been Dumbledore's Army by DrT, or the Hero Trilogy or A Black Comedy. Nowadays, I'm digging on A New World by wentworth360, steadfast tin soldier by twigcollins, or Are You Afraid of the Dark? by Ack. Not really reading HP stuff at the moment, unless one of my old favorites pops up with a surprise update, as has been known to happen. Holding out hope for Alexander Harris and the Shadow Council, but that's an extreme long shot, and a guilty pleasure to boot.

7. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I have to agree with Andrela that I really love The Lesser Sadness, despite how short it is. Perhaps its length is why I enjoy it so much.

I mean you have the guilty pleasure aspect with Harry being a BAMF Peggy Sue, you have great action, and beyond all that you have the idea that
    Voldemort is so freaked out by Harry that he goes to warn Dumbledore about it.

I'd love to see it continued.

The One He Feared occupies a similar place in my heart, for very similar reasons.

8. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

It has been years since I really read "pure" HP fanfiction so my candidates for the post are mostly crossovers like the Shadow of Angmar or some of nuhu's work but if I had to pick a favourite it would probably be the "Denarian" series by shezza which not only spans four books but is also finished.

If we if we go beyond HP I would probably go with the "Son of Suns" trilogy by blank101, it just such a momentous work and one of the few star wars books I actually enjoyed. Maybe I will replace it with Dragon from Ash or a Dead World once either of them finishes but as it stands I tend to prefer finished works when it comes to things like this. (And as my suggestions probably hinted at I am not really all that interest in shorter works and certainly don't remember it...)

9. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Is there a fourth book? I was under the impression that there were only three.

10. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Isn't the last one unfinished too?

11. Maelstorm212

Maelstorm212 First Year

For my own vote, I have to go with the Asking Price by garamonder. I've always felt its been criminally underrated, especially for a fandom with so many trash fics.

12. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I pulled that right off my ff.net profile.

I remember, when I was making that list, I had a hard time thinking of a HP story to put on it. I don't know if it is just choice paralysis, or if I've moved away from HP stories too much.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I am not sure if it is a complete book but I thought that shezza wrote at least one somewhat lengthy sequel after book 3 that should be somewhere in the WbA.

14. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There's like four chapters. Denarian King, wasn't meant to be serious.

15. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

16. Inert

Inert Headmaster

For me, favorite is the one I always go back to, whether for quality, plot, characters, or just pure enjoyment.

HP: Wastelands
    Naruto: Houses of the Holy
    Star Wars: Son of Sons followed by geo3's Fortune's Gate (an unfinished masterpiece for anyone who hasn't read it yet)
    Comics: Legend
    Overall: The Asking Price

The Asking Price is simply the best combination of great writing, snappy dialogue, and just a fantastic ending. It makes you feel things, even on reread after reread. Can't get enough.

17. Maelstorm212

Maelstorm212 First Year

Yep. Was completely blown away the first time I read it, I don't think a professional author could have done a better job. Have yet to even find its equal in the HP fandom honestly.

18. Crownworthy

Crownworthy Banned

Renegade Cause, my boys, without a doubt. It has a fascinating take on wizarding politics, justice and finance, both in the past and the present. There are plots within plots, and the sheer intricacy is enough to astound and amaze.

19. fire

fire Order Member

The Asking Price - read it and weep.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

[​IMG]