1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Far from Home

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Arthellion, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Worth its own thread.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    People are gonna cry and complain but I couldn't care less. This looks fun.

3. Arthellion

High Score:
    I've basically accepted that MCU Spider-Man is going to be less faithful than previous movie versions of the character and just enjoy it for what it is. I'm excited to see Peter continue to grow and hopefully become the leader of the next generation of heroes.

I've accepted that Zendaya is going to be MJ even without red hair and just going to enjoy it. barring faithfulness to the original, I'm really liking the trailer and movie.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looks like it's going to be pretty damn good. I'll be interested to see how much, if any, of that will be revealed to be one of Mysterio's illusions. On which note, he actually looked pretty awesome, which is impressive given his comic look.

5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Alright, Gyllenhaal looks pretty badass really, I'm pleasantly surprised. Seems to be somewhat of a conglomeration of a few of the different Mysterio versions over the years, and glad they're not going with the more ridiculous of his costumes. The Happy/May scene was funny and I can see it being a good running joke for Peter to be uncomfortable about.

6. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The trailer game must be worth its weight in gold for them to be releasing trailers for films that are not only going to come out after Avengers 4, but take place after it. We already knew there was going to be a Doctor Strange 2 and a Black Panther 2, so I suppose it's past time to complain about spoilers from premature reveals wrecking the end of IW, but this is ridiculous. Of course, if they lied before it came out and said they didn't have any plans for future solo movies after IW, that would have made the end even easier to guess.
    Still probably going to see it, of course.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Sony probably won't bother with including misdirections, but does anything in the trailer directly confirms it's happening after IW?

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, seeing as we watch Fury disintegrate at the end of IW, and he's alive here, there are pretty limited possibilities otherwise.

9. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    I keep coming back to the fact that they finally made a Spiderman who really acts like he's a teenager with super powers. He wants to be a superhero.

10. Silirt

I suppose not, it's just the way Marvel generally does chronology. Avengers 4 comes out first; Avengers 4 takes place first. The producer confirmed it- Pascal said the film would begin "a few minutes" after the conclusion of Avengers: Endgame.[2]
    I've acknowledged there were basically no spoiler-free ways to handle this apart from throwing out their entire policy. They actually started the trailer a little late, given that some movies are advertised a year in advance.

11. Celestin

The only way they could be spoiler-free is if they didn't announce this film before Endgame's premiere and filmed it secretly. Which would be really cool, but impossible.

And while the producers confirmed it in interviews, I doubt any promo material will do the same before May, letting less involved viewers be unsure when the film does take place.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Spider-Man was obviously going to come back, so while it is technically a spoiler, to my mind it's like saying James Bond will survive the events of any given film - surely nobody is truly surprised by it, and so long as they don't give out actual details, I'm OK with it.

As for everyone else in the trailer, like I said above - Mysterio is here, so it's certainly not impossible that Fury isn't really back.

13. Silirt

It's a moot point when you consider the fact that it was impossible not to bring the characters back from the dead anyway. In that sense, it's not really the way they're doing it that takes away from the end of IW, it's the way movies are made, the way comic book characters are written, and the only way Disney was going to allow their deaths in the first place.
    My only complaint is that they're not even trying to keep the spoilers under control. If someone sneaks onto the set and grabs a few seconds of blurry footage, fine, they couldn't have done very much about that. It just disappoints me that literally the only thing I can say for The Force Awakens is that despite how soon they released the trailer, there were no spoilers before the premier and I can't say the same for the mouse's other head, Marvel, which consistently produces better movies. There are reasons for this, of course, it makes sense for Disney to protect shock value, the first and only asset of Lucasfilms, while the Marvel movies will survive without it and there are a lot more of them, but the example illustrates they could be doing a better job, if only marginally so.
    Just to put it out there, one of the primary complaints audiences had with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is that the trailer basically revealed the whole movie. They haven't made the same mistake that badly since then, but there's very little effective difference between the trailer revealing the entire movie and the trailer, the headlines of the interviews all over facebook, and the publicly released schedule of films going out years in advance revealing major plot points of several different movies.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    If Spider-Man being alive after Endgame is a surprise to you...I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

15. Inert

Inert Headmaster

So fucking here for this. Could not give less of a fuck about spoilers. It looks fun.

Teenage Spidey webbing it up in Europe while trying to save his friends? Sign me all the way up.

I actually thought Mysterio's powers looked something like Dr. Strange's, and wonder if they'll try to tie them together given the nature of the MCU.

16. Celestin

A popular speculation, and I agree with it, is that Mysterio copied appearance of Doctor Strange's magic from a footage of the NY fight.

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    Watching Tom Holland in the teaser...they need to begin moving him towards a college age spidey sooner rather than later.

18. Silirt

If anything in my post indicated that to you, I have a book on reading comprehension to sell you. I keep it with the packages of scissors that require scissors to open.
    I really hope they go with the 'no actual powers, only illusions' route with Mysterio. I've seen incarnations of him where he can actually do magic and it makes it less enjoyable.
    --- Post automerged ---
    He's been in high school since Civil War, so they're running out of time anyway.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For sure. The dude is growth spurting hard. There goes the Uncharted origin story with him as a young kid. Going to have to be Nathan Drake in late teens / college.

20. Celestin

Is he? He was already 20 when filming Homecoming and I wouldn't say he changed that much since then.