1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fandom from When Your Grampa was Your Age

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vlad, Feb 6, 2019.

1. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The best challengers were super super specific, a not-at-all veiled attempt to get other people to write your story.

Ok it has to be Harry/Hermione and it can NOT have ron/hermione at any point an some Dumbledore bashing and there should be a scene with a muggle roller coaster. Also, harry is two years older than canon. Hermione is blonde and has green eyes slightly darker than Harry's. Also Draco is a good guy. You can choose why he changed sides...

2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Harry killing people. It has been a good long time since i've read a story where Harry tries to enact pressure upon Voldemort through killing "inner circle" death eaters.

I kinda miss it. Since it meant proactive Harry, which is something we are short of right about now.

3. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Quiddich-toned muscles.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To be entirely fair, I remember Harry working up a sweat playing Quidditch, so I'd assume there's at least some physical benefit to playing the sport. Though what that could be, I haven't the foggiest.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    We need a fic where quidditch physiques are meh overall but gripping brooms in flight between legs for years result in thighs that could crush a minibus.

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Auto and motorcycle racing are (to the uninitiated) surprisingly physical activities. I don't find it unreasonable for Quidditch to be tiring and require a measure of physical strength and stamina.

7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, if you tried to sit on a pole that periodically spun around and swung while you had to hold on for hours, your arms/legs/abdomen would absolutely be getting a workout.

Edit: Ninja'd by Pers, but he's right on the money for with regards to riding motorcycles being equivalent. Hell, at high speeds it's a core workout to sit upright, let alone doing maneuvers or sharp turns.

8. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Just a bunch of kids who are pasty and skinny except for their SUPERBUFF forearms and thighs. Like Popeye level forearms and tree-trunk thighs.

I agree with Pers about the motorcycle nature of brooms.

9. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Anyone mention foreign schools where Harry is taught the superiority of wandless magic, katanas and hand-to-hand combat? And of course Harry is a Phoenix/Basilisk/Panther multi animagus.

Something I still like, but have noticed a very large drop is Harry traveling to another dimension. Typically, Harry would be a death eater and his parents are still alive. Sometimes he died as a child and Neville is the BWL. They used to be pretty common, but I haven’t seen these type of fics in a while.

10. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Which is a bit of a shame, I used to be all about dimension hopping fics. I don't think I've seen a good one come out in years. (If you know of one please point me in the direction.)

There was a time when muggle-wank 'why doesn't Harry just use a gun' fics were super popular. Often this was in tandem to some non-magical crossover where Harry got a badass mentor and turned up at Hogwarts already a mini-Marine. Also he was ripped and went jogging round the lake every morning. Ron was usually jealous and Hermione intrigued.

11. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

"I see you've, erm, certainly grown up over the summer, Harry," said Hermione, admiring Harry's biceps as they bulged against his tight black t shirt.

"Heh, thanks Hermione. You too," said Harry. He couldn't keep his eyes from travelling up and down her body, lingering on her perky breasts. It seemed like Hermione had grown in all the right places.

"OI, I'm gonna rape you!" called Ron through a mouthful of food.

12. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

Is that the power the Dark Lord knows not?

13. quixoticcool

quixoticcool Third Year

High Score:
    No the power the Dark Lord knows not is the power of a balanced diet that magically cures years of "malnutrition" so that you gain approximately 6 inches in height.

14. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

I thought that was solved when he goes to Madam Pomfrey and/or Snape and they See how skinny he is and give him superpotions to make him superbuff. Then they go scream at Dumbledore for a few hours.

15. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

It seems like the "Harry is actually descended from the founders or Merlin or someone" trope is pretty much dead. I sometimes still see Peverell, but that's pretty much canon, so whatever.

I think book 7 did a pretty good job of killing the "nice goblins" stories.

Also, there are a lot less animagus-focused stories now that in ages past, it seems like.

And I can't remember the last time I saw Bellatrix Lestrange as a love-interest.

16. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
  17. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

That story is a month old and has over 1000 Followers for Rabastan/Harry :O

I guess I'll try it.

Edit: Good guy goblin, Dumbledore not doing his duties as a magical guardian, manipulative!Dumbledore in general, early emancipation/Lord Potter at age 11, forgotten marriage contract from two generations ago, (probably) misunderstood Death Eaters, ... I feel like this story has it all. And that's just chapter 1.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  18. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Never really got why authors made Harry some emaciated plague victim. OK, so he went a bit hungry living with the Dursleys, but after age 11 he gets to eat all the food he wants for 9 months out of the year. He goes through puberty while eating Hogwarts feasts and never-ending house elf food.

Even if he's starved a bit back at his home, just consider it a cut after his months of bulking at school.

Malnutrition leading to, like, Harry being a short scrawny boi seems like such an overkill.
    --- Post automerged ---

Its hard to make an animagus form useful in solving the problems Harry has to face. It's popular to make him a lion or some shit, but really turning into a great beast would be next to worthless against Voldemort.

The best animagus would be something small so he could use it in spying situations.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    There’s always the option of Voldemort’s horcrux leeching energy from Harry. Boom, confetti, problem solved. No further thought required from reader or author.

20. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Much like his parsel tongue, Harry's love of treacle tart stems from his connection to Tom D: D:

Also, his desire to get inside Ginny.