1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age 4 Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Dasha, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cerberus was great in ME2. Then became herderp villain in 3.

I remember nothing except disappointment in ME3. I can't even force myself to play it anymore because I know how disappointing the ending is.

2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I found ME3 amazing to play up until the very end. The gameplay was good, I liked the characters, and red-headed renegade fem!Shep was the bomb. Ghost-child and the three-color ending can fuck right off, of course, but the rest was really solid. I enjoyed every minute (and even with the shitty ending I had several playthroughs) which made Andromeda hurt quite a bit.

Anyway, they can have my pride and dignity as a gamer if they give me DA4, I don't care. All you haters won't damage my faith.

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm right there with ya on ME3 Eilyfe, I played through it a bunch. The Cerberus subplot was stupid as hell, and Kai Leng's mary sue bullshit annoyed me quite a bit, but everything else ranged from inoffensive to actually quite good.

It's just... whenever I play through it, I make sure to let Marauder Shields serve his noble purpose.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is why I have a problem with people like you.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I played the shit out of Origins. I even loved DA2, even though it amounted to the opening act of what could have been a great game had it actually been developed into one. It at least tried a few new concepts.

I was really excited for DA3, but I played about 3 hours total. It just left me cold, the graphics were crappy, the action was generic and the charecters, the big strength of the DA games, were boring as hell. Massive disappointment.

Still maybe they'll get this one right.

6. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I'll probably survive that.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I prefer ME3 to ME2...

8. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Guys stop falling for the EA cash grab. It's sad to watch at this point.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, if you're one of those who have hard boycotted all future EA games due to their shitty business practices, would you mind just leaving the thread? I understand where you're coming from, but you're not adding anything to the discussion, and just being generally toxic.

Like what is the point in shitting on a game that A) isn't even close to being out yet, and B) you've decided you're not going to play anyway?

Just chill out or fuck off.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Lol what. Boycotting EA means we're not allowed to share our opinion? And like you said, the game isn't even close to being out. What is "I hope it's good because DAO was good" adding to the discussion? How is your contribution constructive?

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Well, I've actually talked quite a bit about what I liked and disliked about previous DAs and what I hope DA4 continues to do. That seems to me like the very definition of adding to the discussion at hand, which is DA4 and the DA franchise.

"EA bad. I'm not going to buy EA games, neither should you, and I have a problem with you if you do," has fuck all to do with the merits/pitfalls of the franchise and adds literally nothing to the topic of the actual upcoming game. You're a smart guy, and a flamingo to boot. I think you know this.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    So have I.

I disagree. I think the meta context of EA being involved has a lot to do with the merits and pitfalls of the franchise. Hell, DA2 was the disappointment it was in a lot of areas because EA pushed for such a quick publication date, 2 years after DAO, 1 year after their previous BW hit. EA wanted to ride the money train instead of giving the devs time to make a worthy successor to Origins, which resulted in a half-finished game. I enjoyed it, but it could've been so much better and you'd have to be a blind fanboy to deny the many flaws of DA2 and how the publisher's demands were at odds with the studio.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I know you have. So let's go back to doing exactly that rather than dumping on people for being excited about a video game. If your (and others') only current aim here is to continue to shitpost and tell us what morons we all are for wanting to buy an EA game that you yourself are not going to play... well, you've made your point multiple times across dozens of threads, and it's just annoying and off-topic when the rest of us actually want to talk about a game. Instead, why not go revive that "EA is Evil. You're a dunce if you buy their shit," discussion we had from a few months ago.

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

No. You want a safe space? Feel free to go to EA's official forums. I'll be calling out shitty development practices, shitty business practices for as long as possible because EA deserves to burn down in horrible, horrible agony. But so long as people like you go "Well, sure, they're shitty 90% of the time, but this time it's a fun game!" EA will stick around and keep ruining more and more of video games.

We're talking about Dragon Age as a franchise that just keeps devolving as time goes on, because EA is the major factor here. I really wouldn't care all that much if this was some kind of shit like those mobile zombie plant games or whatever, but Dragon Age started out fucking great and it's only gotten objectively worse.

The two aren't exactly mutually exclusive. People that keep buying shit, and later aget more watered down shit further down the line to buy, can't really be all that surprised if there are other people willing to call it for what it is.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I find the general practise of gamers going to war with publishers, then just not being able to let go and move on pretty pathetic, personally.

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    I find the general practice of snobs looking down on people who are passionate about the gaming industry, then commenting negatively on those people's posts pretty pathetic, personally.

Those who hate EA could do a better job of talking about what could be done better and enjoying how the world might be further developed (I hate ea and won't be buying DA4), but the other side shouldn't just dismiss the frustration.

The gaming industry is broken. It's understandable for people to be upset not only at the industry but also at those who prop up said industry.

17. Agayek

Eh, I wouldn't say that. It's no more broken than the movie industry, or any other entertainment medium, really. The AAA space focuses on mega-blockbusters, while it's up to smaller studios for the smaller, more niche titles.

It's actually healthier now than it's been for a while, with a decent selection of "AA" titles thanks to kickstarters and the big publishers finally realizing they can make some money on smaller investments as well (see: Outer Wilds, Pillars of Eternity, etc).

EA's got some issues with the whole "respecting the customers as actual people" thing, and that's more than enough reason not to buy their games, but let's be honest here.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    I would say gaming is more broken than movies/books/etc. due to microtransactions, but in general I agree with what you're saying here. The "B-Grade" games have been far better than triple A games barring some of the great single player games this past year (God of War, Spiderman, RDR2).

19. Agayek

Don't get me wrong, the game industry has a big issue with viewing games as products, rather than art, and the businesses treating them accordingly, and in that regard it's a lot worse off than the rest of the entertainment industry, but in terms of industry health, the game industry is doing just fine.

At this point, we're mostly just waiting on the "old guard" investors to die off, so they stop appointing executives from "packaged goods" industries to game companies and get folks with some vague respect for the art to fill the role instead. Otherwise, the game industry is in good shape.

20. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

Some of that's not worth arguing, but...

The graphics were mediocre at best. Some nice design work on the areas, but really shitty characters, especially hair, which is standard for Bioware. I think that's why none of the aliens in any Mass Effect game have hair.

I'm confused why you like the gameplay though. It was a worse version of DA2 only every fucking enemy in the game had bloated as hell HP bars.

And having a maximum of 8 active powers, with no power wheel type of menu to allow access to any others, was a big strike against it-- I don't know anyone that thought the dumbed down Tactical Mode made up for that.