1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

yes, if you allow multiply OCs, I would of course have limited it to one. Of course that means we have to add one char to the starting list and subtract one from the result (since we dont want the empty tag).

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    #DeathPenalty #DeathByTags #TooManyTags #CrimesAgainstLiteracy #Noose/Chair #Noose/Injection Noose/FiringSquad #NooseIsSuchASlutLOL #LastMeals #MoreTypesOfDeathPenaltyAsNeeded

4. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

This brings to mind the question of how many tags should an author use? Assuming a story is say novel length, not just a little one shot-- I assume no one would complain over half a dozen tags but where do you draw the line?

10? 20? 50?

I honestly don't use Archive of Our Own very much, so I'm curious what you guys think. FFnet has a max of four main characters, two genre types and a world setting, which is nothing compared to some of what I've seen over at AO3.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, while that example is definitely excessive, on the whole I'd say that's like asking how long a piece of string is. It'll depend on the story, and the author. Personally I'd try and keep it to as few as possible to adequately describe the story, but I can see why you might want a lot, particularly given that AO3 is big on trigger warnings.

6. CH58

CH58 Squib

A pet peeve that I have that I haven't yet seen on here is the word loose. The number of times I have read a fanfiction where the word loose was used in place of lose is mind boggling to me.
    I don't notice it all the time because my brain usually takes the context clues of the sentence and edits out the extra o, but when I do I start noticing it for the rest of the time I'm reading the story. It breaks my immersion, which is frustrating in what can be an otherwise good story.

7. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Are typos pet peeves?

8. CH58

CH58 Squib

Not when it's a typo. When it is repeated throughout the story. I have read several fics where it seems the author genuinely believes lose is spelled loose.
    When it's a typo, I generally go huh, and move on. When I read it four times in a paragraph, and several other times during the chapter my focus moves from the plot occurring to the spelling, and it detracts from my experience of the story. That's why it's a pet peeve.

9. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

If an author can't bother to fix such a massive error then the fic is not worth your time!

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The length of the story is irrelevant. The purpose of tags is to allow the reader to easily navigate through the kind of fic he wants to read.

If it's 10k or 50k or 100k, unless the fic is centered around Arthur and Molly Weasley, the Arthur/Molly tag has no business showing up. If it is a generic HP fic, there is no reason whatsoever to have Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in tags.

Tags should provide the reader with: main pairing, recognition of significant other pairing, unusual main characters, and maybe a few warnings or situations of interest (sexual kinks, time travel, etc). It should allow a reader to concisely index a story along a few major categories. It is not a place to catalog the events of the story.

11. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Speaking as someone who is dyslexic if spell check doesn't show an error, like with lose/loose I'm definitely not going to notice.

12. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Call me a cynic, but when a fic has so many tags that it's showing up no matter what you look for... I assume that's the intent.

13. CH58

CH58 Squib

It's not that they do it once and didn't edit properly. I'm perfectly capable of ignoring typos and continuing my reading of the story. It's when the author has deliberately typed two o's every time they want to use the word lose that it grates on my nerves and detracts from my enjoyment of the story.

14. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

How every Harry becomes powerful story has him running in the morning.

Its worse when his friends decide to join him and become ridiculously powerful as well .

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  15. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

True. He should run in the afternoon.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Tags are for

• 100 Push-Ups
    • 100 Sit-Ups
    • 100 Squats
    • 10KM Running
    7 days a week. And you too can be a godly wizard.

You may go bald though.

17. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Nonsense. All you need to do is play Quidditch. Everyone knows sitting on a broom for long periods of time is the best way to get abs.

18. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Need a scene where Harry runs every morning.

Then there is a reason that he needs to run away from Voldemort.

Voldemort then casts a 'run faster' charm on himself and easily catches up to Harry.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or he just...ya know...flies/portkeys/apparates etc

20. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Beg to differ. Speedy!Voldemort must make appearance.

Much in the same way one day Harry will not settle for Wingadium Leviosa to lift a boulder, but will instead ingest vast amounts of swole potion. Or transfigure his muscles.