1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Dragon Prince season 2 is out on UK Netflix. I've only watched the first four episodes but it's an immediate and happy step up from the previous season. Very funny, looks better and the side characters are more engaging. I'm loving pirate man and parrot.

Edit: finished the season, as it's still so damn short. Less of a unexpected ending, but still felt like we need more - I suppose that's a good thing. It's from interest this time not a critique of poor structuring. Felt like there was real progression this season.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Is Umbrella Academy any good? Opinions seem to be rather divided on it.

Edit: Watched a couple of episodes of it. It feels like a Watchmen fanfic, but a really good one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Deadly Class is literally an acid trip now.

It doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere or have any plot aside from teenage assassins attend assassin school, but somehow that doesn’t matter. Acting is phenomenal and I can’t look away.

4. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    @KGB

The acting in Umbrella Academy is hit and miss. Klaus and Five were great, though. Really missed Nathan from Misfits.

Some parts feel contrived, and I felt like the pacing was off. Granted, it was a "big" event, but it didn't deliver, and I thought there could've been more substance to the plot. It was very enjoyable nonetheless, and I binged it in a few days.

I haven't been able to get into Deadly Class. I stopped somewhere in the second episode, but I think I'll try it again.

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    Deadly Class is a very odd show. I can understand not liking it but something about it just works for me

6. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I did finish Umbrella Academy and have to agree that the pacing is off. More specifically they completely fail on building tension/escalation of the danger.

It just goes from zero to apocalypse in a single episode and even than
    they kinda don't properly establish the threat she poses. She goes from a superhero version of a school shooter to full on omega level at a moments notice.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    Looking for a good historical tv show. Preferably pre-renaissance. Any suggestions?

I'm considering either Vikings or The Last Kingdom. Any thoughts?

8. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've never watched Marco Polo myself, but I've heard good things about it.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    Finished it a year or two ago. It was pretty solid. The MC was a bit meh but the supporting cast was great.

10. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    The Last Kingdom’s first two seasons are pretty good, definitely worth a watch, but I haven‘t seen the third one yet. But most people could tell you that.

However, if you‘re willing to play fast and loose with your personal definition of “good” and go all the way down to the crusty bottom of the trash bin of forgotten GoT-coattail-riding, pseudo-historical action adventure serialised television, may I interest you in the one and only season of Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands? The CGI is only just on the acceptable side of terrible, the acting is somewhat cheesy, the story is a mess, but it‘s good for a laugh or two on a rainy Sunday. Essentially, it‘s Game of Thrones if Game of Thrones was made to the standards of an average Lifetime movie.

11. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    @KGB

Exactly.

In retrospect, there was very little in the way of character development. Granted, Klaus and Five had some interesting stuff going on, but none of it felt any more impactful than the Cha Cha-Hazel-Agnes sideplot. And that's fucky, seeing as they're the main cast, but it's even worse because I cared more about Agnes and the robot!mum than I ever could about Luther or Whisper. Diego was fun sometimes, but mostly meh. Bad use of 10 episodes.

I'm disappointed, because this could've been so much better. It was still a lot of fun though, but not quite as consistent as Barry, or even Russian Doll

@Arthellion

I gave episode 2 another go, and just finished it. Not sure why I got so distracted from it, but it might've been the house party scene which went on for a bit too long that did it. Pretty happy that I've got 4 episodes to binge.

What the fuck was up with the goat stuff though? Looks like there's a lot of random, totally wtf edgy stuff sprinkled through.

Also, Henry Rollins is great.

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    Got to about episode 8 of the Umbrella academy...

Dropped it.

I just feel zero reason to care about any of the main characters. They're all either idiots or assholes. The pacing is completely off. So many questions, but almost zero payoff by the time episode 8 hit.

Only thing I like is Hazel and his Donut love story.

13. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Started watching Manifest last night after I heard a couple friends talking about how much they enjoyed the season 1 finale. 10 episodes in and it's a solid show. Recommend.

14. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

There can only one answer to a question like that...

Joking aside (though you really should watch Galavant) I would go with vikings, I thoroughly enjoyed the first few season of that show.

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    In other and, to my mind at least, surprisingly early news – given their perennial “on the bubble” status on Fox – Brooklyn Nine-Nine has been renewed for a seventh season on NBC.

There are only three shows I watch religiously on the day they come out / become available to me, and this is one of them. It’s my weekly twenty minute happy place. Very happy about this one. Very happy indeed. :)

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    Andy Samberg is a national treasure and must be protected.

17. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Vikings is a pretty great portrayal of an alien culture, despite its inaccuracies. Charismatic actors and totally crushing on Katheryn Winnick.

History buff friend recommended Medici: Masters of Florence, although it's become something of a soap opera. Robb Stark's the leading man.

18. Longsword

Longsword Banned

I don't know if the show-makers are going to veer way off the books as Cornwell's writing gets repetitive after the first few ones iin the series.
    One of the better things about his writing : the fights, are not brought across well in the show.
    Cornwell himself admitted that he has been churning out book after book in a formulaic way.
    If a TV show had to be made on one of Cornwell's works, it should have been The Warlord Chronicles.

19. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Marco Polo was an immensly enjoyable watch. Marco as a character is a bit of an observer, so he might come across as a bit bland. But the rest of the cast, frım thousand hands to chancellor, kubilay to gingim is pretty dope.

Also it has one of the best naked sword fight scene. XD

20. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I 100% endorse Vikings. Really immerses you in the early Norse period and has fantastic characters. I hate Katheryn Winnick's fake Norse accent, though.