1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword and Shield (Gen 8)

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Is it just me or is that Totoro standing behind the guy on the bottom?

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

This is a very formulaic title. It will still sell a shit ton.

I'm a bit burned out by the formula as well (skipped USUM and LGPE) but I've accepted that the main games will not really change much. That said, even when they were trying to go off-model (the Let's Go series) they didn't go very far.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Legit my ONLY issue with the Let's Go games (and it's a pretty big one, given I didn't buy it because of it) is that I couldn't evolve Eevee. That mere concept was so ludicrous I wanted no part of it.

The game itself looked fun. At least it was different.

4. Slipback

Slipback First Year

I always felt people gave Gen 1 a bit too much credit when it came to creativity.

I hope the final evolutions for the starters are: Grass/Fighting, Fire/Fairy, and Water/Ghost.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You change all the new 3D models back into original sprites and they all look great.

6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Gen 1 wasn't really creative at all, in terms of Pokémon design. Pretty much every single one was a RL animal or plant with an elemental theme. There was hardly any creativity there.

But what it was, and the thing they seem to have forgotten since, was plausible/not completely ridiculous. It was a fantasy, but it was a believable fantasy, and that made both the Pokémon and the world much more engaging and interesting.

The later gens were much more creative, necessarily so, but in their creativity they made the world a more transparent collect a thon, and in the doing made it less interesting.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. Seratin

High Score:
    Gen 8 starters refute the hate.

Pokmon-Sword--Shield-Starters-Gameboy-version.jpg

JK, Sobble is still shit.

8. Slipback

Slipback First Year

Alright, I empathize with this view a lot more than I do with the usual Genwunner garbage.

I honestly hope that Pokemon eventually takes a page out of Bravely Defaults book and lets you set how often you want the random encounters to occur.

9. Seratin

High Score:
    Sweet scent (or lures) and repels, my guy. Controlling the percentages would be two mechanical. Imagine a cave with zero encounters? Is it even a cave any more?

10. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    But I don't wanna buy a switch.

Starter designs are garbage. Rabbit is least bad, but maybe the third evolution will redeem them.

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Pokemon is the comfort food of gaming. I don't think they're ever going to do anything drastically new in the main series games - not as long as they're still raking in money.

I'd love to have caves like they do any other route - patches of ground where you can encounter pokes. Like we have in desserts! I know the whole point of caves was to be different but nobody likes them.

That said, did you see the cave in the trailer? Lights everywhere! Reminds me of Clearwell caves near Christmas. I'm excited to explore everything.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What i find utterly fascinating is this apparent fear they have that seems to paralyse them from making any drastic changes.

They literally put googly eyes on a garbage bag and they can still print money. It defies logic.

It doesn't even need to be immediate drastic changes tbh. If the three starters shown were Dark, Psychic and Fighting types, I'd have instantly perked up.

13. fire

fire Order Member

I swear to fucking god if the fire bunny ends up some rabbit-punching fire/fighting type I will flip my shit.

14. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That wouldn't be very balanced would it? Dark types have complete immunity to psychic type moves, but fighting types don't have complete immunity to dark type moves (although they do have type advantage), and psychic types don't have immunity to fighting type moves (although, again, they do have type advantage). If they were going to change up the starters, they would need to pick a triad that is better balanced.

15. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

I dont agree with the idea that they need to change anything up so long as they make it fun to play. Fun to explore and stuff. I really really hope that the plot is less... cutscene-y than SM/USUM were.

As an example of a type trio that would be better balanced than dark psychic fighting, fighting flying and rock. But FWG is tried and tested, with none of them being immune to attacks and none of them being unable to attack certain types. It's harder to find a balanced trio wherein there isnt a clear obvious best choice outside of FWG because of that.

The only other types that are not immune to anything/do not have anything immune to them (Ice, Steel, Flying, Rock, Dark, Bug, Fairy) are all impossible to balance, essentially. Fairy is overpowered compared to the rest (as is dragon), and the others have no combination that maintains the balance of each being super effective against the next.

16. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Grimer is a pile of man-made sludge who lives in a sewer. Muk is a bigger pile of man-made sludge who lives in a sewer. Koffing and Weezing are similarly pollution, though of the gaseous variety. I suppose when they decided to make the trashbag, they decided it was time for solid-ish pollution. Who knows, maybe nuclear waste is next.

17. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I mean, if we're talking about change, they can change the type balancing too, no?

18. Seratin

High Score:
    Geodude is literally a rock with arms while we're at it so I've never understood the Trubbish hate.

19. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

Voltorb is a suicidal beach ball

20. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Voltorb is a time traveller's warning for the creation of Polandball back in '09/'10.