1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Barely noticeable to me, as I kind of wrap it into all the other fake Norse accents.

2. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Black Monday is decent. Edgy humour. Plot seems a bit weak/contrived at times, however. The opening sequence is the "end", and the show is everything leading up to that moment, so at least we know where this is going. Anyway, it's been rather forgettable so far, but it's something to do for a half hour.

Looking forward to the new BK99. What do you think of the new season?

I stopped somewhere in season 3, and recently got caught up. It was a real treat. While I find Chelsea Perretti hilarious, I'm glad Gina left. The Doug Judy episode had me at the edge of my seat in the most adorable way.

If you're looking for something similar to BK99 and Community, try Superstore. It takes a few episodes to pick up its stride, but it gets very good. Their Halloween episode about cultural appropriation was hilarious.

3. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

adds to list on Netflix

4. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

"Vikings" is one of the better series. Another one I'd really recommend, although it's not pre-renaissance is "Black Sails". If you're looking for something with less action, although by your two mentioned options it wasn't the main search, I quite enjoyed "The Borgias".

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Superstore has been on my list for ages, actually. Since I can’t stream it in Germany with the streaming services I have, I’m thinking about just buying the S1 DVD for cheap at some point.

Regarding B99, up until two or three weeks ago I think I would have said that I don’t think they’ve truly found their footing yet (on NBC), but the last four episodes were mostly very good (with the notable exception of “The Case,” which I found middling at best despite Rosa’s hairstyle hilarity). But maybe that’s just my familiarity with the S1-5 material playing tricks on me.

6. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Medici: Masters of Florance wasn’t half bad either. It’s a prequel to Da Vinci’s Demons. I enjoyed it a lot since I like period shows in general but it’s a bit YMMV.

I recon you will enjoy it if you liked Da Vinci's Demons tho.

Edit: I wasnt into the complete rewamp they went for season 2 tho so take each season on it’s own merit.

7. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Watched the three episodes of Doom Patrol that are out and it's awful.

Biggest problem being how poorly developed the characters are. Which is strange because of all the flashbacks. The only one whose backstory appears to have any effect on them is negative man and even than it's in a nonsensical way.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tried both The Last Kingdom and Vikings....about three episodes in on both I dropped. Neither of the protagonists worked for me. I'm always a fan of a more intelligent protagonist and both of them seemed like prideful idiots.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had that problem myself. Just had no desire to continue.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Trailer for the upcoming Good Omens. I'm really hopeful for this, I love the book, and it's an amazing cast, so fingers crossed it turns out well.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I'm 7 episodes into Umbrella Academy and was quite surprised to see that it's not an 8 episode series. It's already been dragging quite hard pacing wise and I thought it was finally wrapping up

12. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Any of you seen The Order? Just dropped on Netflix. Looks like a decent time waster so far.

Cheesy college stuff with some dark arts and werewolf stuff. Could end up being absolute piss, but let's see.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched the first ep on my commute. Seems like a much, much shittier version of The Magicians, but with hard stereoptype Gen Z'ers instead of hard stereotype millennials, and a Gary Stu protagonist that is perhaps 3x as annoying as Quentin.

14. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I remember finding Quentin a lot more annoying, but I also felt almost zero connection to any of the other characters. I started watching the show when it began airing, but then couldn't get back into it after a while. I heard it gets better in season 2? If that's the case, is it worth powering through season 1, or can I just wiki/youtube it?

But that description sounds about right. Everyone in the first episode feels like cardboard cutouts, but it didn't bother me as much as in Umbrella Academy. Every character failed to live up to their dramatic intro sequence, lmao. I guess I didn't go in expecting much, but yeah I'll try another episode or two, and see if it gets any better. If not, then I guess there's 4+ seasons of The Magicians, hehe.

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    Quentin was a beta bitch. I dropped after like 6th episode.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Magicians is solid enjoyment after you power through Season 1. The jokes are great, and it turns into a real crackfest.

17. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Tbh I tried to read the books back in the day and every single character was so dislikable I dropped the books in disgust. The magicians tv show wasn’t any better.

Realistic character progression my ass.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    I understand having a character at a lower place before they grow...but the character still has to give me a reason to care about their growth. Only character I remotely liked was Quentin's friend who didn't get into magic school and i don't even remember her name.

19. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Julia was awesome and carried the hell out of the first season

20. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Nice, I'll give The Magicians another go.

Episode 2 of The Order features a CRT monitor and what looks like Windows 98, lmao.

Just finished episode 3, and things got marginally better. Magic comes with a price, usually a bad one. There's werewolves, and they fight the dark arts (wut), and his grandpa is mad fixated on the Order.

The protagonist wakes up naked in the forest with a dead body, and his reaction was to blurt out, "I'm a murderer. Fuck, you were my favourite. Sorry!"

I've no idea how I feel about this show. Is it even crack at this point?

It has its moments, but it's been such an inconsistent mess so far.