1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gizmore, May 11, 2016.

1. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just bought it on the summer sale, so I only have a couple of games done so far despite being at 400 hours into Civ V. That said, I'm always up for a game of Civ.

2. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I'm not not up for a game, at least.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

New Expansion announcement!

New victory type, new resource management, global warming, disaster management, canals, future technology.

edit: damnit, ninja'ed

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    Yes! But you got the cool ass video!

6. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Thanks for the links! Sounds quite interesting.
    --- Post automerged ---
    /u/kguzzo on reddit summarized the new features:

Full features list:

• ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS: Volcanoes, storms (blizzards, sand storms, tornados, hurricanes), climate change, floods, and droughts.

• POWER AND CONSUMABLE RESOURCES: Strategic resources play an additional role in Gathering Storm. These resources are now consumed in power plants to generate electricity for your cities. Initially you’ll be powering your most advanced buildings by burning carbon-based resources like Coal and Oil, but renewable energy sources also unlock as you progress to current-day technologies. Your choices about resource usage will directly affect the world’s temperature and can cause melting ice caps and rising sea levels.

• ENGINEERING PROJECTS: Shape the world around your empire to overcome unfavorable land conditions by making improvements like canals, dams, tunnels and railroads. When settling cities, consider the flood risk to coastal lowland areas, but keep in mind that in the late-game, new technologies like Flood Barriers can be used to protect these tiles.

• WORLD CONGRESS: Make your voice heard among the other leaders of the world. Earn Diplomatic Favor through Alliances, influencing city-states, competing in World Games, and more. Use Diplomatic Favor to extract promises from other leaders, vote on Resolutions, call a Special Session to address an emergency, and increase the weight of your votes in your quest to achieve the new Diplomatic Victory.

• 21st CENTURY TECHNOLOGIES & CIVICS: A new era has been added to the Technology and Civics trees. Combat new environmental effects with speculative ideas such as relocating your population out to seasteads and developing technologies to recapture carbon emissions.

• NEW LEADERS AND CIVS: Nine new leaders from eight new civilizations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of nine unique units, four unique buildings, three unique improvements, two unique districts and one unique governor.

• NEW SCENARIOS: The Black Death & War Machine

• MORE NEW CONTENT: Seven new world wonders, seven natural wonders, 18 new units, 15 new improvements, 9 new buildings, 5 new districts, 2 new city sets, 9 new techs and 10 new civics have been added.

• IMPROVED GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS: The Espionage system has been enhanced with new options, the Culture and Science Victories have been updated, new Historic Moments have been added, and additional improvements have been made to other existing systems.
    Civilization VI: Gathering Storm will launch for Windows PC on February 14, 2019.

Full announcement with features (civilization.com)

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

ALSO, OFFICIAL CANALS CONFIRMED!

[​IMG]

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    Hungary and Maori have been announced.

Hungary seems meh. I never use levying or CS's armies. Not cost effective.

Maori seems like a very strong civ, but you start at Sea which I find fascinating. Not gonna be much use in multiplayer though because people only play Pangaea.

9. Dreamweaver Mirar

Yeah, the Maori starting at sea, with enough bonuses to take a few turns before settling without falling behind is a super interesting idea.

I'm not sure it'll work in multiplayer, but I'm definitely going to do at least one match as them just to try it out.
    The whole starting with the sailing and shipbuilding techs could also be super strong.

As for Hungary, I tried levying city state units once, and found it super meh at best also, but with Hungary's bonuses- especially the free upgrading of their units- it could make Hungary super strong, at least on difficulty levels where city states aren't all snatching up by the AI.

Here's links to the civ announcements btw:
    https://www.civilization.com/news/e...kupe-leader-pc-release-date-february-14-2019/

https://www.civilization.com/news/e...as-corvinus-pc-release-date-february-14-2019/

10. Arthellion

High Score:
  11. Myduraz

Anyone tried the new expansion yet? If so, is it worth picking up for someone who plays a game atleast every other week or should I wait for a steam sale a year or so down the line?

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    I really enjoy it. The new AI with world congress and such has made foreign diplomacy a lot better. The actual global warming aspects are pretty awesome too. All in all i really enjoy it and I think it's worth it.

13. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

The climate change effects are a bit too linearly harsh, I think. I like them, but it's very easy for one nation to run ahead and trigger things, fucking over others. Flood Barriers also come a tad late.

I'd add a new 'levee' building at Steam Power or Flight that protects against the two earliest rises and which is needed for Flood Barriers. (Hammer cost is split between the two.)

Otherwise, good expansion. The extra agendas are also good - if a little funny sometimes. (Barbarossa went for a Science Victory... While having the Flat Earth agenda.) World Congress is as good as it can be with Civ AI and diplomatic favour is pretty nicely instituted. Forcing the T3 government policies to go with their own government is also an excellent little tweak that really stood out - because who needs Entertainment Complexes and the like when you could just New Deal as the Communists. [insert political joke here]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  14. Dreamweaver Mirar

I've like the new expansion quite a bit so far as well.

I'd definitely agree that flood barriers come to late- I was the only person producing pollution and I still couldn't build them in most of my cities that needed them.

I particularly liked the "Grievances" system, where you get a number of grievances against an enemy when they mess with you somehow (for instance, invading the city state you're suzerain of gives you 100 grievances) and you capturing cities costs grievances. If you don't go too negative in grievances you avoid everyone hating you for being a warmonger, which is super nice.

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    @Imariel It's currently on sale for 20 bucks.

16. Myduraz

Appreciated. Getting my last student aid tomorrow and then my first paycheck this month :)

17. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Oh, and the standard intensity for disasters is kinda... Meh. Recommend putting it up to 3 for something a bit more challenging.

18. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    There's a fun video about how you can use the Mali civ to get free military units, and abuse stupid AI to get infinite gold:

19. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

For anyone not aware, there is to be additional content for Civ 6 for the next year or so.

It seems they are sticking with their strategy of two expansions per civ game by sneaking in-season passes with additional content, updates and leaders.

Here is the intro video for the Mayans:

I'm still hesitant on buying it, as I haven't been playing much Civ. I've been more interested in the upcoming CK2, Old World (made by designer of civ 4), and Humankind. So many good games coming out later this year!

20. Arthellion

High Score:
    Civ VI was good before the global warming expansion...because there were a lot of great mods for it. The global warming expansion broke a lot of the great mods and the devs refuse to give out some of the coding for people to fix the mods. Basically, it'd be worth it if they supported their mod community, but otherwise not so much.

The main issue is Civ Vi is a very small game. It's not built to handle a full world map with every civ. It's more like a deathmatch style than any real grand strategy.