1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bioware's Anthem

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Arthellion, Jun 28, 2017.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Agayek you're assuming BW's in-house testers would have found those bugs. Or cared to look for them at all.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    By all reports, EA generally doesn't budget much in the way of time/resources for QA. After all, players will bug-test it for free.

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Disappointingly accurate, but I can cling to my delusions damnit.

After all, it's not like they released a console version that could crash and fuck up the whole PS4 file system, requiring users to boot into safe mode and run through a wizard to restore it before they could use their PS4 again.

Oh wait.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    Yeah, when BW was imagining how people would compare Anthem to Andromeda, it probably wasn't along the lines of "at least Andromeda didn't brick your console".

I'll never say you can't like and enjoy garbage, but I am disappointed by the defenders of this game who claim it all can be fixed per the live service model and compare how Destiny and the Division were garbage at release too. Because doing that just to defend your beloved studio (let's face it, no one would be defending this game if it were from a less admired developer) is cementing that idea that it's okay to release garbage and be an unpaid bug tester for 6 months before the game is actually finished.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To be fair, Anthem absolutely can be fixed. And the devs are still largely responding correctly and promptly to issues as players encounter them, so I'm still pretty confident the game will be in a pretty good state in 3-6 months.

It's just... it's really, really fucking embarrassing for Bioware that it wasn't in that state 3 weeks ago (as in, I'm a programmer for a living and I'm embarrassed to share a profession with people who thought this game was fit for release).

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don’t think the programmers had much of a say on when this released...

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    So. It took less than a month for the community around Anthem to go from "fuck haterz, I love this game" to "BIOWARE GIB LOOT". Salt prices are plummeting worldwide.

I am pleased.

Edit: apparently after last week's "lvl 1 weapons are the most powerful", melee/combo/ultimate skill dmg is calculated off your average gear score, so unequipping low-level gear increases damage. Yay for stats in a stat item looter meaning something, and for yet another dose of hilarity from this beautiful game

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. Arthellion

High Score:
    Wtf...

The reason that’s even more of a clusterfuck...is BioWare did almost the same thing with SWTOR pvp gear before they learned people were running around naked and helmets with lowbie weapons bc better stats. They learned nothing

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    Anthem's launch is entertaining enough to tide me over until Game of Thrones returns. BW has ticked every box on "how to fuck up your game".

Now the official subreddit and Discord are full of people saying they're playing The Division 2.

@Arthellion the guy in charge of loot for Anthem is the same guy who fucked up loot in SWTOR. I can't even.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    Bioware is truly dead. All the great talent is gone.

I love the doctors for creating bioware. and hate them for selling it to EA.

11. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  12. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
  13. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Pretty interesting read, not many companies would have to balls to do an e3 trailer when they don't even know what the game itself is and knowing it is in such a broken state. Especially ironic given all the hype it generated, but damn didn't that first trailer looked good.

14. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

One hell of an article. What a shit show that must've been during development. I really don't envy those game devs.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    I call it a story about a veteran studio which spent six years doing the gamedev equivalent of bouncing off the walls in a padded room, and when people understandably call them on their shit of delivering a AAA version of No Man's Sky, they get back to their hardcore fans (the only people who still give a shit) with lines like "this is the price of transparency" when someone asks why features advertised in a stream weeks before release are plain not there on launch.

Die already BioWare, you've used up the rope two years ago.

16. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Interesting is that yes, while EA carries part of the blame, (forcing Frostbite; taking off the Frostbite wizzes and switching them to FIFA) it's mostly BW leadership mismanagment that fucked them over.

A particularly lul-worthy part of that article is that they weren't allowed to talk about Destiny and became pushback if they did.

17. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    The Destiny part cracked me up as well. How wrapped up in your own delusions of grandeur do you have to be to act like that?

Once again, top notch work from Jason Schreier. It‘s a sad, sad tale, but goddamnit if it wasn‘t an entertaining one.

(And the Mass Effect fanboy in me hopes that with the changes in Bioware‘s leadership that they hinted at in their ridiculous reaction piece they might yet find a way out of the hole they dug themselves. Even though the existence and quality of said reaction piece, obviously written with only the bullet point knowledge that Schreier said they sent out to Bioware makes me want to tear my hair out. Just own up to your failures. It‘s out in the open now anyways.)

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    BioWare was on life support the moment the doctors sold to EA.

The loss of talent after ME3 is when it truly died.

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    The doctors are gone and people are wondering why the patient is crashing.

20. Arthellion

High Score:
    This literally made me laugh out loud. Best line of the day so far.