1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pet Peeves: Sasugay. Duck butt hair. Etc.

Sasuke is a bit of a dick but his story has depth...demeaning his tragedy and making him an “emo kid” is just bashing.

Also, the use of Japanese words in a fic. I can handle honorifics because they contribute to story..but when there is a perfectly good English substitute use that. Otherwise write the fic in Japanese.

2. abrantesle

abrantesle Muggle

Bashing based on fanon, not when a character repeats a fanon trope(that too) but rather when the author seems to believe it actually happened in canon

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

All according to keikaku*.

*TL note: keikaku means plan.

4. abrantesle

abrantesle Muggle

Maybe i'm the one wrong for being impatient, but i dislike when the prologue takes too long to identify the characters, usually done by having their names revealed through dialogue

5. Sporkman108

Sporkman108 Muggle

Stories that say that MC will be powerless....then get their power back in chapter 2

6. Batsie

Batsie Muggle

*TL Keikaku means cake

7. Darrell Malik

Darrell Malik Squib

A new favorite of mine: author that overly describe their characters and character weapons while the rest of their story is simple and quickly pushed through.

Case and point: here

8. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Drayko Ryder, what a name

9. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Persistent enough to write 125k+ words of mediocrity. Congrats I guess?

Looking at the review count I guess it worked.

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Handsome wealthy athletic war hero can't get girlfriend because... reasons.

If there's a plot line about Harry feeling a a general disconnect with people after the war or some such, ok that's a plot and character arc. But generic "hopeless with women" so as to have a generic single!Harry who then can end up with whoever is lazy writing.

More annoying, it's canon. Yule ball can kinda be excused given awkward teenage first time experience, but it was still goofy having Harry angst over it after he turned down like three girls ten minutes after it was announced. And then same stuff with Cho and then again at Slughorn party.

End of war if Harry is single, it is because he has proactively chosen to be. That's fine, but he shouldn't be bitching about it.

11. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm like seventy five percent sure that some of the girls who asked him were first-years or otherwise barely knew him. It doesn't lend him a lot of confidence; he knows he's famous; he knows there would be girls who would ask him out just because of that. Canon Harry didn't have an older male role model except the oft absent Sirius, who probably gave him 'the talk' at some point, since no one else would have. Bear in mind, Harry didn't have a lot of confidence in most things, in the same year we have Crouch's son have to coax it out of him that he's 'a fair flier', when in first year he styled on grown adults with fuckin' gnarly moves. He tends to dismiss his own accomplishments and quite possibly it's because he wasn't hugged enough as a child, which would also explain why he never takes credit for his ability to cast a Patronus at thirteen. With regards to his own appearance, he doesn't seem to realize having permanently tousled hair gives him a 'rugged, devil-may-care' look; he actively tries to straighten it all the time. It's possible that the Dursley family is at fault for this, but that's really just a guess.
    The short version is that it doesn't really matter how attractive he is if he doesn't realize it or he if he doesn't believe it.

12. James

James Unspeakable

Ah. One of those fics. Close.

13. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To be fair, if you copy paste from Google docs with a single line in between paragraphs, it becomes triple spaced like that on spacebattles. I've no idea why, i assume a formatting thing, but that's likely why this guy has it, he's just too lazy to fix the formatting before posting.

15. James

James Unspeakable

Me, reading summary: "This looks interesting."
    FF.net writers: "Characters: [Harry P., Voldemort], Hermione G."

Ugh.

16. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

Harry/Voldemort is easily one of the worse pairings. Only surpassed by Hermione/Lucius, Hermione/Draco, Hermione/Snape, or Harry/Snape. Though saying that I did manage to see a somewhat interesting summary only to have it ruined by Girl Harry/Sirius Black. Its honestly a little disgusting to think about that pairing in depth. No time travel plot. Just out of Azkaban Sirius with his dead best friend's daughter. Awful pairings usually take an alright or average story and completely ruin it.

17. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I wasn't under the impression they usually had an alright or average story to ruin.

18. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

The fact that we even distinguish between 'the story' and 'the pairing' tells you a lot about the strange way fanfiction works.

Anyway, recently I read a Harry Potter is a sort of spy fic. It was a bad fic but one annyoing thing really stood out. Being a good spy, Harry of course took a code name. And that code name was Django, because of course it is. No idea why Harry would choose that name but whatever. But apparently the author thinks all his readers must be retards with the memory of fish because from this point onwards Harry was always refered by both names. Like "Django/Harry says...". Yo author, I was there when Harry chose that name, I read it too, there is not reason to repeat it all the time, I don't need a reminder. And it reads like shit. Why you do this?

19. Quantro

Quantro Muggle

20. Crownworthy

Crownworthy Banned

“The Air of Slytherin.” I didn’t realize old Salazar was such a Frequent Farter.

The Potters being alive when their child, usually not Harry, survives The Killing Curse. Some people really don’t seem to have understood the basics of what went down on Halloween, and why it happened.

Contrived plots to make sure Harry and Hermione become friends, never mind how Harry was raised, which house he’s in, or other factors that would influence his character and behavior.

The recent resurgence of Pup as a nickname, which I really thought and hoped the fandom had outgrown.