1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Watched Season 2 of American Vandal.

I thought they couldn't pull it off again, but it might be better than the first.

2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I really enjoyed S2 of American Vandal and I was a bit hesitant at first because of all the poop. I would also recommend either season highly.

To my shame, to get my partner interested in watching it with me, I never told her it was a mockumentary and although she did enjoy it, she thinks it was a crazy, real thing, and that secret haunts me to this day.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    @Blorcyn

Devious. Mischievous? I'm not sure what it is, and I don't want to say "evil", but it's hilarious.

@Nevermind

I saw the first episode, but didn't follow up because I was expecting something with more levity. I found that show after having seen Crashing (not Pete Holmes/HBO), which I really enjoyed. I'll give it another go. I was a bit more emo at the time.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    S1 had the X factor of surprise. S2 was better in every way except two things: after S1 I already knew what to expect so there was no surprise element about what the show would even be. Second thing was that the mystery in S2 was resolved in the end--actually I'm kind of undecided on this one. With S1, there was the anxiety (the good kind) of whether we would know by the end. S2 gave a clear answer.

Now that I think about it, maybe it's even better that they ended S2 differently. We had the uncertainty about the mystery in S1 and resolution of the mystery in S2.

Show as a whole is bigly tremendous. One of the best things Netflix has done in recent years--I utterly love the meticulousness of the guys in their investigative work contrasted with the juvenile content and scope of their cases.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone watched Into the Badlands?

Is it any good?

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't call it excellent by any measure, but if you can enjoy silly kung fu movies totally detached from realism, then yes, it's quite fun. It is basically Mad Max, meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, meets a slave drama, meets a buddy comedy.

Season 1 feels like a bit of a chore, but Daniel Wu and Nick Frost together are superb in season 2&3. The fight choreography is also pretty great.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

It's mighty stupid, but it's good fun.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Tacoma FD (a la Super Troopers the TV show) starts airing next week. Could be fun.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

John Cho to Star in Netflix's 'Cowboy Bebop' Live-Action Series.

Not the worst choice, but I expected someone more charismatic. The rest I'm unfamiliar with.

The most important part to get right is going to be the style and definitely the music. Otherwise, while it may turn out to be a good s-f drama, but it's not going to be a good Cowboy Bebop.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I think he'll be pretty great. Cho and Daniel Wu have been in the fan favorite lists ever since the casting call went out saying they wanted someone asian or part asian.

I'm more concerned about Daniella Pineda for Faye. That roll is going to require some legit acting chops and her biggest roll to date is 'the hot nerdy girl' in Jurassic World 2.

Shakir will be fine probably, despite not having the deep voice I'd expect from Jet. Bushmaster was literally the only redeeming aspect of Luke Cage S2.

Unfamiliar with the British guy they got for Vicious, but hey he's British. That automatically qualifies him to be a villain.

11. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I watched Dramaworld on Netflix.

It stars the daughter from Santa Clarita Diet as an obsessive fan of Korean soap operas that get's si'd into the soap she is currently watching and has to be a facilitator, as in someone who arranges all the coincidences in romantic comedies/dramas that brings the protagonists together.

It's not a bad little show. But what I like the most about it is that it can almost serve as a how to to writing SI fanfiction. Being the exact opposite of every terrible plot rehash with some smartarse remarks thrown in from the SI.

Also It's quite short ten episodes with sub 20 minute runtime.

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Charismatic?

Note: starting at 2:11, that is one killer scene.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Somebody drew Cho as Spike and it's pretty damn on point.

[​IMG]

14. Longsword

Longsword Banned

His build is more of an issue. Spike is tall and lanky, it would be really odd to have all three characters in the same shot and have their heights mismatch.
    The worst thing about anime adaptations is the voice. No screen actor can get Spike, or even Jet's, voice right and that would be off-putting.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I mean, they could just hire Steve Blum and dub his voice in over Cho's.

16. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Anyone else happened to watch the third season of Santa Clarita Diet yet? It really is getting better and better from season to season.

17. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Really? Damn. I need to get back on that. I loved the first season, but I think I didn't watch all of season 2 for some reason.

Throwing out my own recommendation for The Sinner with Jessica Biel. It's a highly disturbing show, but it's really good.

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Earlier today I stumbled across LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS, up to the eighth episode so far and I have to say that Beyond the Aquila Rift is so far my absolute favorite. I've gone and read the short story it's based upon and found myself wishing it was a full-length feature film instead.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I have been meaning to check this out for a stretch. Glad to know it's worthwhile.

20. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    ^
    I saw maybe four or five episodes, and was rather underwhelmed.

Recently watched:

Huge in France - Not impressed, was expecting more stand up. The whole story felt like such a drag, and I only watched it cos I kinda liked Gad's Netflix special.

Tacoma FD - It's a bunch of bro firemen being bros. Very silly. I enjoyed the first episode.