1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

"Triggered" assumes an emotional response. It's not. Look at her practices. How can you trust someone like that? Are these things brought up any less true simply because of the source's association with something that you don't personally approve of?

Anyway, on with the show, more info about the game:

• Brian Mitsoda is lead writer alongside Avellone and Cara Ellison (who in particular wrote a chunk of the side quests)
    • Rik Schaffer the original composer is back (confirmed via e-mail)
    • No quest markers, natural exploration just like the original
    • Set in Seattle with seamless hub worlds
    • Direct sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    • Takes place 15 years after Bloodlines
    • Game starts off with a Mass Embrace where the player is among the new vampires born from the event, you're captured and brought to a court of prominent vampires like the first game to recount the events of the mass embrace before being sentenced to death, court is firebombed and you escape, thrust into Seattle to find out who's responsible
    • Player is a thin-blood at first, choose a Clan later on
    • If your humanity is low enough it will have implications with your dialogue choices
    • First-person with contextual third-person actions
    • Fan-favourite characters from Bloodlines returning
    • You can use telekenesis, turn into mist to go through vents and glide
    • You can scale buildings, there's an emphasis on verticality
    • Level design is reminiscent of the original Deus Ex, you're offered many different pathways to approach a particular scenario
    • Way more dialogue than Bloodlines
    • Huge emphasis on character creation. You can choose your background, gender pronoun, employment history, body type and fashion
    • Lots of secrets and hidden pathways to find
    • Seattle as a hub world is described as "very active", crowds gather outside clubs and muggers prey on victims in side allies
    • Deb of Night type feature will make an appearance as confirmed by Mitsoda

• Main side-questline involves hunting down and finding all the other thin-blood created from the Mass Embrace, each will have their own story about entering into their new life
    • Blood resonance from VtM 5th edition will appear in this game. Using your enhanced vampire senses, you can see when NPCs are experiencing an intense emotion like fear, desire, pain, joy and anger. Drinking a person with a strong resonance will give you an immediate bonus to things like melee power or seduction. If you drink a particular resonance constantly, you will acquire a taste for it and this will give you permanent buffs called "merits".
    • If you continuously suck on people's blood in full view of the public, they'll be less wary of going to those areas and you'll see less citizens wandering the streets
    • Game has modding support, available Day 1
    • Emphasis on fluid combat, using vampiric speed to slide in and out of melee range and slash people and execute them with melee weapons. You can get special cinematic finishers in combat when you execute people a la Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Counters are in. Guns exist and are treated as temporary opportunities, you pick em up, use it, then discard it and move on.
    • NPCs can react to you depending on what background you chose for your character in character creation, for example you can be a cop, a coroner, or a barista for a more neutral and blank slate background
    • It’s still called the Masquerade, so if you eat someone in public or turn into a bat in front of a bar you’ll get in trouble not only with the police, but also some beefier supernatural watchdogs
    •The humanity system returns, so killing innocents brings you closer to the inner beast

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A good question is how they will explain the mechanics of getting that much stronger within the game without making the main character turning to diablerie.

Didn't hear about them confirming that. I want Smiling Jack and the Cab Driver.

4. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Come on, you know even he can’t fight technology.

It’s The Uber Driver now, :V

5. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I don't need to trust someone to enjoy a videogame they're involved with. To me separating art from artist isn't binary, it comes on a sliding scale.

Top of the pops reruns with Jimmy Savile? Nope, nope nope nope. That motherfuckers face popping up would make my skin crawl badly enough to ruin my enjoyment of pretty much anything. To list random names off the top of my head Roman Polanski, Kevin Spacey, R Kelly, Michael Jackson, or Ian Watkins are also all incredibly talented people who kind of ruin enjoyment of their work by association with the god awful people they are.

If she writes the game terribly, she could ruin my enjoyment of it that way, but for me some mediocre biased journalism just falls far short of the bar to ruin it by association.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are two camps of SJW game journalists: those who are game journalists with SJW leanings, and those who are SJWs just using games as a particular platform from which to hurl their views. The first group could add value to the game - the other would actively sabotage it in the name of righteousness.

Fuck gender pronouns though, I care more about the body sliders. Let me play a morbidly obese undead neckbeard with a sweet katana. I haven't been able to whale out in a game since Saints Row 3.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love how Gamergate is still apparently an active harrassment campaign against all wimminz in games, even though 2014 was five years ago.

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    Playing Sekirou. As someone who has never played dark souls or bloodborne I knew I was playing a different type of game.

This game is hard. I die so often. It’s painful...but learning how to kill each individual enemy provides just a huge level of satisfaction.

The game is beautiful. The combat is fun. Story is there but it mostly exists to have you kill hordes of dangerous enemies.

All in all, 9/10. Would die again.

9. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

I mean, if the shoe fits...

I checked out /v/ after I heard the announcement, and I'm glad Odran collected all that info because I was able to get maybe half of it between the wall to wall "oh my god the SJWs", bitching about that writer, and "fucking trannies" coverage across like 5 fucking threads. It's ridiculous.

Cool, I heard it was decent but not worth the price - you disagree then?

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    I’m enjoying it and getting good entertainment out of it. That said, I had a coupon so got it for like half off. Would I pay full price? Eh...I think I would. But I’m also getting a lot more time out of it bc I’m used to playing slower paced games. I die a lot in comparison to someone who might have mastered bloodborne or what not. So ymmv.

It’s definitely worth what I paid for it.

11. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Again, the post I was responding to included a link to a gamergate site, their own about page talks about gamergate and has links to other sites for gamergate discussion. So, yes, apparently gamergate is still a thing, but that's not my doing.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Throwing my 2c in, Sekiro is a new take on the standard Souls formula, and I'm digging it so far. Having played all of the souls games so far, there's enough familiarity that it feels similar, but the tempo and focus of combat, as well as the leveling and respawn systems are quite different, and the change is refreshing.

I've only put a couple hours in, so not sure if my opinion will change, but right now I'm fairly positive on it. I really need to lean how to dodge properly though, if I'm gonna be successful at this.

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    Dodging is vital. And you kinda have to dodge certain enemies differently

14. Agayek

Yeah, I'm currently working on the second boss in the "memory" zone, after you get the bell from the old lady. He's basically a sumo wrestler with a cleaver roughly the size of Rhode Island that he swings around, and he keeps fucking my shit up, since he can one shot me and I find it hard to read his attack patterns. Might need to go back to the real world and come back to that later.

15. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm up to Lady Butterfly, (the one after the Sumo dude in the first memory iirc) it's a nice change of pace because I have been parrying my way through the whole game and suddenly parrying is useless and it's all about the dodge. Her sweeping attacks in her second phase that you can't dodge or parry but have to jump over keeps on tripping me up, after I dodge I hit her a couple times while she is vulnerable but in the second phase of the fight I should only hit her once because she goes into an unblockable sweep pretty quickly that wrecks me because I am in the middle of a swinging animation.

Pretty fun, but beyond the changed combat mechanics (parrying is definitely enjoyable) and all the developers words to the contrary, it is just a reskinned souls game. Nice change of pace, nice change of scenery and the story is delivered more directly than traditional soul games.

If you liked the other souls you'll like Sekiro.

16. Agayek

Yup. I'm working on her now, and it's annoying. I've got her mechanics more-or-less down, but it's not quite muscle memory yet, and I keep getting wrecked because of it. Just gonna have to bash my head against it for another 20-30 minutes, or maybe get lucky, and she'll die.

I'd have killed her already, but right as I was building up the last bits of posture damage, she did her whole "I'm gonna spawn a bunch of adds that will chase you around" thing and I, having run out of snap seeds, had to disengage and run around like a headless chicken for a bit and she regen'd it all away. ><

17. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet:

There are apparently some minor leaks hiding about (mostly about the main mechanic roles of the protagonists, and the fact each character has three action skills (pick one?), instead of one).

18. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Oh man, I love borderlands. So glad to see the excellent tales from the borderlands crew in there, best game telltale ever made.

19. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Finished up my first playthrough of Sekiro today. From what I understand there's a few different endings that lead to different boss fights, so I'll probably go through NG+ soon. I have some small issues with the game, but overall it was fantastic. It's definitely reskinned Souls in a lot of ways, but I've found the combat to be much more engaging, and combat is 90% of Souls/Sekiro to me. I'd rank it as being a much better game than Dark Souls 2 & 3, and probably better than the Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls as well. Bloodborne is still king for me, but this comes pretty close.

I'm not sure if there's been any DLC announced yet, but considering how good the expansions for the previous games have been - for every game I'd say they have the best boss fights - I'm desperately hoping we get some.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Belgium's Gambling Commission rules against loot boxes in Overwatch, FIFA 18, and CS:GO

Finally. Let's hope other countries follow the example and rid the world of these lootboxes.

Not open for further replies.