1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Practical Guide to Evil by Erraticerrata - T - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by DvorakQ, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno, the Saint getting smacked seems legit to me.

2. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Kind of dumb chapter: Catherine punks the heroes again!

But I think the combination of the book break and general quality drop really killed a lot of the discussion. Which is a shame, the extra chapters were great

3. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I actually liked it. Newly human again Catherine is a lot more fun than Winter-Cat, and having her play the Saint of Swords like this was a lot of fun to read. Much more entertaining than the endless super-powered fights we were seeing for most of the book. Here she's fighting smart again, and that's always been the most enjoyable parts of the series for me.

4. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

But she's not fighting smart, her opponents are just acting like morons!

5. Nazgoose

High Score:
    How so?

Seems pretty in-character for the Saint of Swords to get riled up by what Catherine did, and since they really don't understand what she brought with her now I can see her saying "fuck it" and going for the assassination. As far as she knew, if successful she would've decapitated the last real threat from Callow and been able to wipe out both the Army of Callow and the remaining Legions of Terror in one stroke. Callow collapses into infighting, the Dread Empire continues its infighting, and they're left free to go face the Dead King.

Even if Malicia regains control of the Empire, she'd have to march through Callow again, and without Cat to keep the peace and look out for the greater good she wouldn't be able to do so unopposed.

I don't see the SoS being a moron there, just tragically misinformed about what the situation was.

6. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Just realized this, but where's Scribe? I realize she hates Catherine and isn't inclined to do her or the Army of Callow any favors, but she's supposed to have been with Grem (and really doesn't have any alternative places to go), and is significant enough that she should've been remarked on.

7. Nazgoose

High Score:
    Huh. When was the last time we heard of Scribe? If it was before Black's capture then she might've gone off on a quest to find him, since her loyalty is to him alone.

8. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

- Epilogue, Book 4

Both quotes are from Black's perspective, so basically as accurate as we can get. While trying a search and rescue on Black is straightforward, she has to be acting through intermediaries both because of her Role and it's also just more effective. It makes the most sense for her to stay with Grem while she does so... because what would she be doing on her own?

Of course, us saying all this means it'll get answered by Cat talking to Grem next chapter or something.

9. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

I love every single chapter about procerans holding back a tide of undead with a God damn passion. Every time we see a more mundane perspective of the dead kings advance I just want to let Cat fall into the background. Errata can write a story about an eldritch horde held back by a kingdom with nothing more than steel and unflinching defiance wonderfully.

10. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Well then. RIP Grand Alliance.

I mean, not actually because Cat wants them to take the day shift in the fight against the Dead King, but you should've done that camp raid.

11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Seriously, what happened to Ryuugi?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  12. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

It really is a big disappointment for those of us who had more fun reading Ryuuji’s rant about the new chapter than the actual chapter.

13. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

I actually gave up on APGTE a while ago, but kept reading Ryuugi's posts for the sheer entertainment value. Where are you Ryuugi??

14. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Ryuugi is still posting one of his older fics, so he's not dead or anything. I assume he finally gave up reading this then?

15. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Pinged Ryuugi on IRC. He's alive, just lost interest. May give.a big rant one of these days.

16. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

The story has improved from the low point of the drow arc tbf, although I think some becoming human she's felt a bit too competent compared to where she was.

17. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Characters are still good, and mortality has done wonders for Cat. Learning patience and cooling off is good character growth. Pacing is still complete trash. Plot is no longer as painful as the drow arc was (though it's not great), and the story gave them a fitting nerf (sunlight, but the power levels are still a problem at night) and established a reason why humans actually matter against the Dead King (somebody has to take the day shift). Her most recent scheme went a bit too well, but we're still in part 2 of it so it can still go wrong. And, because I can't say it enough, the pacing is complete trash. Most recent chapter is pretty egregious. And I can't blame Ryuugi for losing interest, because Iserre has been too boring for how long it's taken.

No good editor would publish Book 5 in its current form, but it doesn't require the full scale torch and start again that the drow arc needed. But while Book 3 and the first half of 4 needed hatchets taken to them, 5 has upgraded to a battleaxe.

18. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

He didn't lose interest. He's been posting in SB's version of this thread. I just noticed it yesterday. I don't have much problem with the pacing; I mean, we're reading 3-4k words every 2-3 days. Very few stories/books/novels would have good pacing when read in such a way. Not to say the pacing might not actually be bad, but I don't think it's that bad.

19. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Give Errata credit they've definitely pulled this story up by its bootstraps to something genuinely enjoyable. Tyrant continues to be a crowd favorite I imagine.

20. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

The Tyrant is the best character in the story, every scene with him in it is a cracker.