1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction's Worst Reviews

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Moridin, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

upload_2019-4-3_22-5-30.png
    I can't tell if the first one is serious or not, though I'm hoping not.

2. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Joe you're nitpicking a minor mistake of the reviewer's. They messed up the name of the story and exaggerated the idea that you didn't improve technically.

The larger issue that you didn't address is the fact that you really only have one story to tell.

And no, @ScottPress an author's voice is not a genre. Like seriously? An author's voice is their unique flair and tendencies in how they approach a story. It isn't writing the same story over and over again.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What points do you think you're scoring? Attributing a fic Joe didn't write to Joe and basing an opinon of Joe on it is bigger than a minor nitpick imo, but you do you. Besides, nitpicking is half of what we do around here.

James Bond is also one story. Writing one story differently is not in itself a bad thing.

Yes, Joe specializes in YA/urban fantasy.

???
    --- Post automerged ---
    Hey @Sey, are you the anonymous pussy from FFN?

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I feel like @Sey is being pointlessly obtuse.

5. Sey

High Score:
    Let's do this logically. If the anonymous reviewer wants to keep their anonymity, why the fuck would the reviewer then stir up the argument again? You're an idiot.

Also, specializing in a genre =/= writing the same general story with the same characters every time.

6. Joe

High Score:
    Ehh, the anonymous reviewer was perhaps anonymous on ff.net so his particular brand of flawed bullshit didn't reflect poorly on his DLP account, which we know he has, because he referenced this thread and my contributions to this thread. Indeed, in his review to me he purposely made a point of being anonymous to avoid such a comparison.

I think there's a good chance it's you, @Sey, because you couldn't hold you're tongue here, but in the grand scheme of things I'm happy to be wrong because, ultimately, for every one of you there are a hundred people who really enjoy my stories.

Thank you for your feedback.

7. Sey

High Score:
    I think there’s a good chance it’s someone who is salty they lost in the competition but hey whatever floats your boat.

In the grand scheme of things @Joe I’m just a reader who is disappointed that in the last 10 years you’ve done nothing but write the same general premise with the same general characters with the same general problems and archetypes over and over again. For over ten years.

How about a protagonist who isn’t an mentally scarred man with an alcohol problem. How about a strong female character? How about a touching character moment? How about for one chapter not being the fanfiction incarnation of Michale Bay?

To want more from an author who I think is pretty good isn’t a crime.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why is it that people who have a problem with James Bond-like protagonists always use this exact phrase? And why is it that they also seem to forget about the many strong female characters that have been present in media for decades?

9. Sey

High Score:
    Fuck off dude. I’m not talking to you

but muh freeze peach -oz
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ok how about this: “How about a female character with a personality and depth whose sole function isn’t to highlight how advanced Or incredible HP is? How about a character who we see also has needs/wants/desires? How about a character who could exist in a vacuum wihtout relying on the protagonist to have their existence validated?”

10. Joe

High Score:
    Here's the review again:

[​IMG]

Mate, you basically just quoted it. I think you're protesting too much. There's a chance you're not the same person, but if you are, I am happy to genuinely discuss your points both publically and offline, if it bothers you that much. I consider it far too coincidental in this small world of HP fanfiction that you're not the same person.

And I think it may have all been triggered by your anonymous entry losing the recent DLP competition. Gotta admit, my intuition may be off here, but it's a story we've all seen used over and over again.

If you're not our anonymous reviewer, then that's cool, too. But I think you're being disingenuous.

11. Sey

High Score:
    1. Didn’t submit anything so wrong there.
    2. Reviewer talks about reading docs in 2005. I would be 5 at the time.
    3. The reviewer is right.
    4 Re: coincidence
    > Joe brings ups a review
    > I read review, agree with some parts, mention I think it’s got validity
    > Scott and Joe: “ahah, so you must be the reviewer”
    > me, confused, because I am replying to something I agree with.

Like yeah it’s a small world of fanfiction, but you literally are on a fanfiction site. Of course you’re going to find people with similar opinions. Ffs.

12. Joe

High Score:
    I'm happy to be wrong, Sey. But I don't think I am. And if I was, it wouldn't matter because your opinion on my stories is subjective and, when it comes to the active dislike like you've shown, in one hell of a minority. You and one cowardly twat on ff.net.

I appreciate you think I'm 'pretty good' - I'm a lot better than that, but thank you.

If you want to read about those other protagonists, I suggest you seek out authors writing about those characters or write it yourself.

13. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Sey is a lot of things but that's not him. I've read enough of his stuff to know how he writes doesn't match his style. He'd also be bragging about it instead of denying. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's someone else. He's just doing a shit job of convincing you.

Now sey if this does turn out to be you and you've lied to me I'm gonna shit in your bed.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This is some dumb shit. Not really sure why you are so bent out of shape over this @Sey or why this particular review ruffled your feathers @Joe you must get this shit all the damn time. Though I feel like if the person criticising you can't even get the name of your story correct -- not just incorrect, but thinking it was an entire different story -- then really, that tells you everything. It isn't nitpicking, that is plain wrong and stupid.

15. Joe

High Score:
    People attacking my stories happens 10 times a day. That's fine. That's even fair.

This anonymous reviewer didn't attack my stories - they attacked me personally. The 'reviews' were not on the story, within the realm of HP fanfiction, or the characters, the ploy dynamics, or pacing, the dialogue or any other number of craft-related aspects, they attacked me as the author. And they did it from the shadows. That bent me out of shape.

Attack the story, like half of DLP did with the three quotes at the start of the story in the competition thread, but don't make it personal just because you've read some of my millions of words in the past or have some understanding of me from my posts here on DLP.

I hear what you're saying here though, @Dark Syaoran, and I'm sorry to have caused a scene. @Sey, I also apologise to you as I can see I've been something of a hypocrite in attacking and accusing you as the anonymous reviewer - and not discussing the substance of your argument.

16. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Yeah telling someone they are unoriginal, haven't grown, stay in their safe space and write the same charecters are all lazer focused to hit any author where it hurts. I'm not surprised it got you het up Joe. It's dismissing a decade of hard work and practice with a few pithy sentences.

I mean you should still ignore it for the disingenuous bull it is, but I'm pretty sure most authors would have accusations like that get under their skin.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Whether I agree with him or not, fuck off? He has an opinion and is offering it, and isn't doing it anonymously. How about you actually take in the opinion offered rather than immediately go for the low blow you know isn't true you overgrown 5 year old Polish twat?

For my part, I agree that Joe's stories tend to blend together. I also agree that I wouldn't mind seeing something different, but I don't really mind. Joe's style is pretty unique, and having more of it is never a bad thing. He has grown a lot over the years and it really shows in his works. The reviewer is an entitled asshole and a coward to boot, which doesn't invalidate 100% of what he said, just most of it.

18. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

A review for the Well Groomed Mind. I was going through some of my old favorites when I came across this. This seemed the most appropriate thread I could find.

19. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    ... this thread got a bit tilted. I'm not saying that you guys owe me, but I ventured into a Kenchi fic to help it get back on track.

delete.png

There's two pages more of this.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I was directed here from IRC by reports of what sounded like a dumpster fire going on, but all seems (more or less) well. Regarding Joe and Sey, I second @Dark Syaoran I think.

I admit I'd be pissed too if someone from DLP was giving me passive aggressive shit anonymously. Especially personal shit. And since it might have involved the competition I did feel the need to weigh in on that and tell them to get the fuck over it - the competition is for fun. There's not even a real prize.

It's quite possible to make a career out of writing either a similar character or similar tropes over and over in different formats. Look at John Grisham and Dean Koontz ffs.

I think everything has been said on that topic now? We'll figure out who the anonymous person is sooner or later without filling up this thread with speculation.

And now that I've had my say... I wanna bitch about this review that's been pissing me the fuck off since 2015.

Here's the one-shot: Skipping in the Dark
    Here's the review:
    The start said Dumbledore isn't gay. Wrong. Dumbledore IS gay! He held romantic feelings for Grindelwald, the reason why he couldn't stand up to Grindelwald until their duel. J.K Rowling revealed it ages ago, didn't you know? Unless you're very recent, then you wouldn't know. DUMBLEDORE IS GAY!

OMFG it's LUNA ffs! She's using "gay" to mean "happy" and that's the. whole. point. of. the. joke! It's blatantly obvious and I wanted to strangle this reviewer and explain in simple words precisely how it was funny, damnit, and that they're a puss-eating idiot.

And yes, I've been on and off being irritable about this for 4 years now. It's fine. Everything is fine:GDie1