1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

To be fair, I've seen people say the Potters weren't in the house at the time and one or both of Lily's parents were killed instead. It's not a bad explanation, and even allows the Blood Protection to still work with Petunia.

What bothers me is any circumstance where the Potters are alive, but send Harry to the Dursleys anyway. I've seen this multiple times, especially in Wrong Boy Who Lived stories, and they never come up with a better explanation than "the Potters are literal monsters who should not be trusted with any child."

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    People who tag their fics with multiple types of pairing (i.e m/m and m/f, or m/m and f/f), with "multi" instead of the pairing type. It should be obvious but nope, come people seem to think multi means it has multiple types of pairing, instead of - you know - just tagging it with the types.

Maybe I should just make multi a default excluded tag. It's trash anyway.

3. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

There was a rather cool little story written about this very trope.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/1115311

Fun read .

4. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
  5. James

James Unspeakable

Harry said there, for fifteen minutes, listing all of his unique skills, both as a wizard and as a person.

“You are so special”, said walking love interest.

“I am nothing special, just Harry”, said Harry, his eyes cast down.

Ooh how I loathe socially and mentally damaged Harry, and all the mental gymnastics authors go through to make him op and stupid at the same time.

6. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

Hermione Granger.

I try to be as objective as possible, but when it feels like 98 percent of all updating fics have Granger as the protagonist, even the patient can get frustrated. Granted, most of them are trash, but some have redeeming features and it is so difficult to sort them out.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think part of the thing is that she's one of the most relatable characters, particularly in the early books. How can you be lazy at wizard school? I'd be waking up early every day just to learn more magic. I'd be reading every text book I could get my hands on, because...magic!

It's easy for me to understand why Hermione acts the way she does. I'd imagine that might tie into her being a popular alternative protagonist.

8. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Ironically, I think Ron is the more relatable one: he's the closest one to an actual teenager, from his non-uber-rich background to his good-but-not-great grades. Compared to everyone else, he's the most normal one of the bunch, and as my sig can tell you I consider him one of Rowling's best creations. The fact virtually every Fic ignores him at best and bashes him to death at worst developed into my single biggest pet peeve ever.

And as for why Hermione is often written as the protagonist in Fics, it's a lot simpler than than: women authors that turn Hermione into their own Self-Insert to do anything from solve the plot their way to hook up with that one person that's totally the OTP.

9. Donimo

Donimo Auror

That "I wouldn't be a lazy wizard" argument has never held any water with me. People are lazy by nature, if you don't work hard as a muggle you wouldn't as a wizard.

10. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

All fun and games until you have to write 6 feet on hair raising potions because some asshole in your class managed to melt his cauldron .

11. James

James Unspeakable

I'd add that as we get further and further from original books, people accept more and more of the fanfiction as a headcanon. I've recently tried to read something tagged as H/Hr hoping it won't be terribad, but noped out the moment Hermione had 'silky smooth mahogany hair' and was generally the most awesome person ever.

Another thing that's curious to me is that I often see 'stories where Hermione is just a doormat/helper to Harry' referenced, but I've never read one - almost always it's the other way around and Harry changes to whatever awesome!Hermione needs/wants.

12. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

I'll agree with this if we're talking about people being raised in the wizarding world. But if you told me right now that I was a wizard and that I could go to wizard school, I would absolutely put in more effort. There's a big difference between math homework and magical homework. One is about magic, for one thing.

And you're much more guaranteed to get some kind of reward out of it. Do your math homework and what do you get? Some equations you'll forget about in 6 months time. Do magical homework and you might be able to do some new, useful spell. If I could figure out a spell to do my dishes for me, I'd honestly study much harder for that than I already have for any subject I took to get my degree.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah I have to agree with Mr.Bucket here.

If you're a muggle going into a magical world, just continuing to be lazy would be an abnormal response imo.

This is fucking magic. You can bet your ass I'm going to learn everything I can.

14. Donimo

Donimo Auror

You can't say I'm wrong then agree with me. People are lazy, you'd learn enough magic to accio the remote and
    scourgify away a mess, then you'd fucking chill.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also my pet peeve about Hermione is how she's always calling Ron, Ronald. Also super polite, and screeching "LANGUAGE" whenever someone mildly swears.

15. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That's pretty true to her canonical personality.

16. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Someone did a search of all the books and she only chastises someone for their language once, I believe. In the entire series. The Ronald thing is mostly the movies too.

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

LANGUAGE RONALD

18. Donimo

Donimo Auror

19. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

None of that is terribly naughty language, except the last one, which is the angriest she's been in her life. I'm wondering why you would even include "I'm hoping to do some good in the world!" as an example of swearing, or why you wouldn't include a few choice segments from DH, in which Rowling's publisher allowed the characters to actually swear. This behavior is the exception, not the rule, at least not for the first three books, which is where I would think most fanfiction authors are having her be annoyed about swearing, after that she's throwing killing curses around and learning darker magic. If they're still having her eschew swearing after that, there's no excuse. Canonically, Hermione's character evolves through the years, and she gets decidedly less polite as the books wear on and she continues to be disillusioned by authority and the Scrimgeour quote is a decent example of that.
    This is something that came to mind when I thought of Hermione getting onto Ron about swearing. Bear in mind, this is Snape. For the record, I'd like to know how many times she corrected Harry and Ron by saying 'Professor Snape' instead of just Snape, which isn't even a dirty word, though to them it is. There's a section in HBP where Hermione is annoyed at Ron for calling the first-years midgets, and I would expect she's upset about something like that less because of the insensitive language itself, but because they were first years.

20. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11240114/5/Coffee-Run

Hmm.