1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 12, 2019.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Now that we have an official title and trailer, time for a new dedicated thread I think.

[​IMG]

I am disappointed in lack of double saber. :/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am seriously confused over the title. But if JJ Abrams can fix Star Wars I’ll be happy.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Maybe it refers to Ben's burgeoning empire? Who knows.

4. Arthellion

High Score:
    I’m ok with this honestly. Seeing Kyle Ren win...with the promise of future war is how the series should end.

Turn the Skywalker line into the ultimate antagonists.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "The end of the saga" just feels so out of place. The Force Awakens was basically a prologue, introducing us to the characters. The Last Jedi was mostly spent standing still, and if anything set things back in terms of narrative momentum.

They're positioning ROS as the epic finale to a story... but I have no idea what story they're referring to. There's basically no overarching plotline which has run through the previous two entries. I'm still waiting for the question to be asked, and now Disney is telling me to get excited for the answer.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think my biggest problems with all these new star wars movies is that I basically have no idea what the galaxy is like and what exactly is at stake. OT was pretty simple, galactic evil empire vs the good rebellion. PT was also simple, old republic that is slowly crumbling. New trilogy is just so vague about everything. There is a republic, the new order, a rebellion and the old empire stuff, maybe? I don't know how big any given faction is outside the fact that the rebellion is maybe two dozen people and a shitty ship and almost done at this point. The new order lost their new death star planet and a shit ton of ships, one of them a super star destroyer or something like that but since I don't know who exactly they are I don't know if those were devastating losses or just small annoyances. Same with the republic, some planets got destroyed, one of them an important one, I think but no idea what that means for anything.

Because of that, I also have a hard time connecting to the new characters because it's difficult to ground them in this vague world they are fighting for. I like the new chars enough, but dunno, might be also an age thing but never connected with them the same way I did with the OT and PT characters. It really feels like we needed a trilogy before this one started. Like, I had fun with both movies but they feel weird as movies meant to fit into a larger narrative.

Edit:. As to the trailer itself, was neat enough, I suppose. The tie interceptor duel could be cool, could she the movie going back on the "rey is no skywalker" thing by revealing that Kylo lied or something. Don't actually see this with Kylo winning, at best a redemption for him but who knows. Gonna be hard to satisfy most people. Then again, there is also the fact that I just don't get as exited about Star Wars anymore, so maybe there is that. Solo and Rogue One were such massive disappointments to me.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The whole sequel trilogy would have been much better served with the addition of few scenes to actually establish the conflict:

Force Awakens probably should have kicked off with a war scene. The peaceful prosperous New Rebublic is suddenly beseiged by an overwhelming onslaught of First Order forces. The First Order seizes control of the Outer Rim, Jakku, a number of other planets, and they start imposing their will across the galaxy. Maybe have Leia give a brief order to send Poe off on his mission to find Luke. Then cue the Poe in the desert scene.

Last Jedi should have kicked off with a scene of a planet totally under the first order's control. Coruscant would have been a great choice, or they could have repurposed Canto Bight. People are suffering, everything is shit. Something needs to be done. Poe and his lackeys are super frustrated at the decimated republic's general lack of will to muster forces and actively fight back after getting blown to shit in the first film. Cue General Huggs/Poe space battle above said planet.

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    The lack of world building has been a major negative imo.

I'll paraphrase something I said awhile back.

These new movies are being made out of context; both culturally in the real world and lore-wise. I understand the whole EU never happened (but some of it did *shrugs*) and you don't have that same verse, but it's almost like they tried to reset the status quo to Empire vs. Rebellion. Ignoring the fact that the rebellion won.

Then, there is the cultural irl context. These new movies would be a lot better if they had come out a few years after The Return of the Jedi in the real world. There is no prequels/world building. There is no star wars fandom. There is no star wars "culture." But they didn't. These movies came out after decades of Star Wars Lore being developed. There are certain things that are fundamental to the star wars universe in the minds of most fans as a result of this. Doing away with that just...makes it feel like "not star wars."

The passing of the torch from the OG characters was also done very poorly. Rey's sudden skill is so poorly explained and just bad story telling. It's just as bad as the Post OOTP Fics where Harry spends the summer becoming equal to Voldemort. In a summer.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pfffffft

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Emperor Palpatine's laugh at the end gives me hope for some badass Sith action.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Badass Sith action involving who, exactly? Ren isn't a Sith. Palpatine will probably be some darkside apparition in Death Star ruins.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I'm guessing he'll just be a force ghost or a holocron or something. That said, the bulk of sith artifact lore is fucking awesome stuff, especially the brand new Vader comic with Lord Momin storing his conciousness inside his helmet allowing him to possess people.

It's probably not going to happen, but given how closely Kylo's helmet resembles Momin's, there has been quite a bit of fun fan speculation that the Knights of Ren will either be possessed by, or at least be wearing the masks of the former dark siders they're supposed to represent. Kylo is the leader, in that he is supposed to represent Vader.

13. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Yeah hard to get excited considering how many questions there are. I'm just not invested in any of these characters. They're flat. Finn's character development came from a terrible sub-plot. Poe got some I guess, but even Oscar Isaac can't make me care about him outside of a Han Solo wannabe who happens to be loyal. Does Rey have character traits? Can't decide.

Everyone else has commented on the world building or lack thereof, but there's just no mention of the stakes. Like they blew up a planet in Force Awakens, but whose planet? For what?

Only way I see this being any good is a real exploration of Kylo and his motivations/goals. As of last movie it was...something? And even if they do a good job of it, it's likely going to be too little too late. Oh well. At least I liked Rogue One.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

While the trailer is pretty cool, can't say it changes my indifference about the final film.

As for what I would change, I wouldn't make Rey nobody. Instead, after some hints in the first film that she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter, the second would repeat the ESB's revelation making her discover she's Palpatine's. The last one would be about her trying to save Kylo which I suppose going to happen anyway, but instead of being connected by the Force, they would be connected by the history of the families. And yes, it would basically make Rey's journey the same as Luke's, but since TFA was already a retelling of the NH, they they may as well do the whole OT that way.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    First of all, absolutely fucking lol at the title of the movie. It's such delicious and flagrant irony in the face the absolute shitshow that they put the actual last Skywalker through. Ben is a Solo, if anything, so who is this referring to? Luke? LOL

My only thought beyond that is yay, more original trilogy characters for Disney to butcher.

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    they introduce Jacen Skywalker...as Luke's son.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The title certainly seems pretty bad for now, but the teaser still made me grin. Really looking forward to it.

18. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Nobody hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    What he said.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    You think so? I always felt that the writers and costume designers very much wanted Ben to be an Anakin analogue, just with a different name. Unless you buy into the cooky theories that Han was a force sensitive all along, all of Ben's defining traits come from his Skywalker side. I think the title could very easily refer to him.