1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 12, 2019.

1. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

You’ll want audio on for this.

I’m ready. I’ve been grinning since I saw the clip. I’m going to have to swing a midnight show for this one.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I want that to be a thing, so bad. Just a straight retelling of the game's plot, adapted to work in movie format.

Man, I can just see it now:

Start with a scene much like the opening of A New Hope, except from the view of Malak as the Endar Spire is shot down to crash into the megacity below. Cut to the protagonist getting pulled out of the ruble by Carth and a brief exposition dump about the Sith blockade and Bastila being the key to escape, so they meet Canderous to get an in and go rescue her from the crime lords (likely arriving right in time for her to escape on her own), and that meeting causes the pair to have a Force vision of Revan and Malak discussing the Star Forge and its role in their army. They wake up on the Ebon Hawk that Carth and Canderous stole from the dead crime lords while they were unconscious, and already on the way to Coruscant.

Bastila tells the story of Revan and Malak's rise to the group, and acknowledges the protag's potential as a Jedi. They land on the planet and Bastila manages to get them an audience with the Council, where they report what happened and the new Force Bond. Lots of meaningful looks around the room by the Council who decide to "deputize" the protag and send he, Bastila, and co, along with Jolee Bindo as liaison/minder, off to find the Star Forge. At this point, instead of four fragments, there's just the one map they need to find, and the key is Revan, so lots of trying to backtrack Revan's path, during which they run into an assassin droid sent by Malak to kill them. The droid kicks their collective ass thanks to excessive preparations, only to simply shut down for no discernible reason when the protagonist engages it directly.

The protag, being good with machines, takes a look, disables the droid's assassination protocols and boots it back up to get answers. It promptly starts calling everyone meatbags, but also answers all the questions the protag, and no one else, asks, acknowledging the protag as his master. Everyone's confused by it, including the droid, but it still gets them the location of the map to the Star Forge.

They head out there and find the map device, but Malak was having it watched and ambushes them on the way out. Cue the big revelation and Malak's renewed attempt to kill them. Only for Bastila to sacrifice herself to buy everyone else the chance to get away.

With the map data in hand, they assemble a fleet with the Council's help and head after the Star Forge. The Ebon Hawk, vanguard of the fleet, runs into static defenses and crash lands on the Rakattan planet, where they learn of the origins of the Star Forge and find the control codes for the station and disable its defenses. They steal a shuttle from the Sith base on the planet and sneak into the forge, all while the Jedi fleet is getting wrecked. They find the fallen Bastila on the Forge, using Battle Meditation to crush the Jedi and have a big dramatic thing where Revan regains the last of his lost memories and together with Bastila come to the realization that the Dark Side was not the answer, for either of them.

Then they all go and fight Malak together, and eventually triumph, rig the station to blow and flee. The movie then ends with Revan being re-knighted as a Jedi by the Council, in something of a callback to the medal scene at the end of A New Hope.

But... It's probably never gonna happen, so i just spent the last twenty minutes writing all this up for nothing except mildly annoying people for the text wall. Oh well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not necessarily a movie. Could be a live action show. Could be a cartoon. She specifically says 'they're developing something to look at,' aka producer speak for 'Old Republic is on the table but we really haven't decided anything about anything.'

Still, hugely exciting news.

5. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Love it, except that I always played the dark side in that game, so I'd rather have evil win for once.

6. Agayek

But canon!

More seriously, it would definitely be pretty cool if they went with the whole "Revan regains his memories and resumes his place as Lord of the Sith" thing, but I can't see them actually going that route. It would cause a huge shitstorm with a good part of the general audience, the folks who watch star wars movies but consume little to none of the other star wars content, when they realize they've spent two thirds of the movie cheering for "the bad guy". I just can't see Disney signing off on it, especially given that established canon gives them such an easy way to avoid it.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't want them touching the Old Republic with a ten foot pole.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I’d love a Darth Bane movie.

I think it would translate well to film.

9. Andrela

To be honest, Knights of the Old Republic would be better suited to a tv series instead of a movie. There's a lot of content/quest/side-missions to be used.

10. Agayek

While true that there's a shitload of content, the problem with making it a series is that very little of the side quest stuff is at all relevant to the actual plot. For example, it doesn't make a lot of sense why Revan would detour from his very important quest to save the Republic and stand as an attorney for some random guy on Manaan. There's a lot of content, but 70+% of it is all but explicitly "sidequest" content that only exists for XP and RP.

That said, I would dig a TV series set during the Great Hyperspace War or the lead up to it.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    The old republic is the perfect setting for a Star Wars game of thrones esque series

Can have multiple protagonists.

12. Andrela

Polish translation of the title is revealed to be "Resurrection of Skywalker". A few hours after it was published, the title is purged from all Disney websites and channels.
    [​IMG]

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    I'm down...

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A better translation of this title would be "Resurrection Skywalker" since one of the problem with this translation is it doesn't really sound right grammatically in Polish.

15. Agayek

So Episode 9 is Anakin getting resurrected and we get to do the prequels all over again?

16. Andrela

Unless you say "Skywalker: Odrodzenie" like Matrix: Resurrection.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

That would work, but then it would be "Gwiezdne wojny: Skywalker: Odrodzenie". :)

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    Anakin shows up to bitchslap Kylo.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I want an Epic Rap Battle with that plot.

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Meesa down with it.