1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Is Wounds hosted anywhere else? Reading on AH is a pain.

2. Kravot

Kravot Fourth Year

Spacebattles - check the creative writing forum.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fairly long shot here but has anyone read a decent fic where Robert kills the boar?

4. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Wounds made me reread Times Like These by Ariel2Me, where Robert dies and Lyanna ends up with Stannis. God, I wish that fic would update.

Are there any other good fics where Stannis ends up as Lord of Storm’s End in a Pre-Rebellion world/Stannis ends up as King?

5. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I know it's not what you're asking for, but Robert did kill the boar. It gored him and ripped out his guts, then Bobby B stabs it in the face. Guy's a total badass and never gets the credit he deserves.

6. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/17771180/chapters/41932793

"What if Jon was born with silver hair?" Is the summary, but it kind of overlooks the main point of divergence, that being that Lyanna was hosted by House Dayne instead of being stuck in the Tower of Joy and thus survived the birth. Only 8 chapters so far but it's decently written, the characters seem fleshed out and Jon remains true to the canon in what little insights are given as he grows. Lyanna's stance on Robert isn't new but this take on it seems more accurate to her character.

7. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Can you give an actual summary for the fic?

8. Longsword

Longsword Banned

POD ToJ : The KG at ToJ does not die but leaves for Essos, Jon has silver hair, Lyanna lives. They come back to Winterfell where Catelyn almost instantly knows that Jon is Rhaegar's son. Lyanna rejects Robert.

Time skip : Jon is 14 and squiring for Wylis Manderly, they go on a trip to Essos where the two get attacked by sellswords.
    A man from the Golden Company saves them and offers Jon a place in the mercenary band.
    This is where the story stands.

Jon knows he is Rhaegar Targaryen's son.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Wounds spoiled me. I forgot how unbearably fucking stupid the usual portrayal of Lyanna is.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Caught up with wounds last night. Wounds Lyanna is best Lyanna.

11. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    Sorry about that, I was going to but thought I'd let people read instead of spoiling it. Longsword provided.

12. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I started rereading the Open Way, because I had forgotten why I had stopped and it has a 100 chapters so seemed like a good time waster.

Now I remember why I stopped. All of the villains are so damn dumb. Like let me just announce literally every awful thing ive done at once while im in the Capital and can be overheard by my enemies, thats totally the move.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It's absolutely astounding that so very few writers ever bother writing a Lyanna (that went willingly with Rhaegar) who admits she was in the wrong for doing what she did. Far too many instead choose to focus on bashing Robert as if he was the spawn of the devil that's set on destroying the whole world. No one will deny that Robert Baratheon is a flawed character, but too many forget that a great deal of his flaws had become exaggerated over the long period of him being married to Cersei. The show sure as fuck didn't help either.

And that's another thing I love about "Wounds", it doesn't pull punches when it comes to Cersei. She is still an egocentric sociopath as much as she always was. Nothing fundamentally changed about her despite the circumstances, because that's what she is genuinely like. She's not some child that was mistreated or neglected by Tywin, who only needs love and care and respect to flourish into this wonderful person. "Wounds" shows that Stannis talked with her, heeded her at times, but when her requests or advice grew more ridiculous, he would ignore her. And that's perhaps the worst offense he'd given her, ignoring her, because no matter what, Cersei craves attention and recognition.

14. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Yeah, and after binging that I tried The Cold Truth.

Uh huh.

Maybe if they played up her actually being crazy, which Cat seems to think, but no - seems like this is getting played straight, and that comment is just meant to establish Cat as a bitch.

15. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I avoid any fic with Rhaegar or Lyanna in it for this reason. Terrible characterization.

16. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I couldn’t deal with it. That whole thing is a sad little monument to Lyanna the Disney princess.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, it's been a bit since I inadvertently read through an abandoned fic without realizing it, but seeing as AO3's UI is way too overcrowded, I just finished what there is of Disengagementwithout realizing it was in the breeze, and now I'm pissed off. Good stuff, tragically unfinished and without the promised sequel. Hate when that happens.

18. Longsword

Longsword Banned

19. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If y'all are alerting each other that it's updated via posts, then maybe it should go in For Review.

20. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    That should be a criterion for being library worthy, "would you alert DLP that it's updated via post."