1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WitchHunt 9

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Miner, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Umami

Umami Squib

GG!

I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were supposed to post in our QT :)
    --- Post automerged ---
    OMG, no one read @Vaimes QT. Gotta warn us about spoiler dude. Also, what's a "textbook libra"
    --- Post automerged ---
    *spoilers

2. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

The worst part about GoT is that Essos doesn’t get enough exploration despite being the 105% more interesting place.

(Sorry, I thought I left it pretty open-ended.)

3. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

Honestly I’m fine with it

Mechanically Shadow was always lynched so I’m surprised he didn’t just forfeit tbh

Still proud of myself for guessing it

4. shadowlancerx

shadowlancerx Muggle

@fonti, who did you check the night you died? Trying to decide if randomly killing cobalt would have been the better play.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I try not to give up as much as I can. It’s not over until it’s over.

5. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Kai. Cobalt was the dob, so we've would have known his actual role when he died.

6. M Plus 7

M Plus 7 Squib

Oh my god, I love Vaimes's QT. That was a great read, lol.

7. Umami

Umami Squib

No worries :) I'm waiting to watch it all at the end of the season so will forget it by then/I'm just assuming everyone dies

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I'm really not trying to hate here, but if the lesson you take away from this game was "well it worked out in the end so it was fine," I think you're kind of missing the forest for the trees.

9. Tammy

Tammy First Year

High Score:
    The first day and a half of this game was really fun to watch! I really miss mafia; I hope the next time you guys have a game going I'll feel like I have time to play.

Congratulations town. :)

@M Plus 7 - What do you teach?

10. shadowlancerx

shadowlancerx Muggle

Err, yeah, nvm. I actually said something like this in scum chat, basically if cobalt was the dob then it wouldn’t matter anyway.

11. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

How would you have reacted if I did what I told Miner I would and my first post was "I Nurse the Nurse"?

12. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Oh also I meant I’m a stereotypical libra.

13. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Vaimes QTs are the reason I play at DLP.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Me to me: kill Jarizok and Vaimes so that I can shoot the Nurse.

14. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

I took a risk that paid off big time in terms of the claim game.

Sure, my check was wrong - but I didn’t keep the check until the end of the game and then say “oh btw I was lying”. I came clean at the earliest opportunity to let everyone else decide what they wanted.

Taking away a fake claim in that mass claim scenario is huge. I’m proud of that and I’m starting to get really frustrated with “well you were wrong etc” like yes obviously but did we still lynch shadow and win? Yes? My bad for directing the lynch off a witch and onto another witch.

I made a ballsy play and shook things up a little bit and that made the game exciting for me. Sorry for not following the status quo and doing the same thing every game that ends the same way. I had fun so stop telling me “well *contradiction*” like I literally fucking get it, you think the hours of thought and effort I put into this it didn’t occur to me?

Sorry for trying to do something different.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Like, what if Shadow claimed Oracle and then we no lynched to get to LYLO, and he judged a villager and killed two more and then won the game?

I took that opportunity for deception away from them. But the zero credit is appreciated.

15. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    IMO, there's no way you can genuinely think you deserve credit here.

Your play and claim made it pretty clear that you're not someone I want to play with.
    --- Post automerged ---
    You're attempting to use how the game played out to defend and justify the horrendous play you made this game when it doesn't work like that. No you didn't make that move to "take a claim away from scum", you had no idea that scum had the oracle role and you making that claim didn't 'stop them from being able to claim it', they could have even made the play of having one of them counter-claim you on D2 there when you made it. You could have outed the oracle and put town in a messy 'lots of claims in the open situation' D2.

Your plan was solely to 'try and protect a town read of yours that was (correctly) scum read and to try and get shot as the DOB'. The first part of that is just stupid egotistical stuff that's not remotely helpful to the town, and the latter is heavily flawed, worlds exist of a) Shadows town, scum think you're legit oracle, b) Shadows town, scum don't think you're oracle and worked out what you're doing and c) Shadows scum, scum know that you're not oracle because they have it and have an idea you're DOB. In a) and b) they're not going to shoot you because that 100% confirms Shadow as town, they know you're not the priest and they need to be aiming kills that directly, and in c) they're also not shooting you.

It was stupid on so many levels.
    --- Post automerged ---
    The fact that people lynched Tom instead of Shadow and still hit scum, and the fact that you were wrong on Shadow and faked an oracle peek on scum aren't even the relevant points here. It's that your play, and claim is illogical, egotistical and makes it pretty clear you're someone that's prioritising "trying to do something wacky and have fun for yourself" rather than play with others.

16. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Cobalt, I don't think taking away an oracle fakeclaim is that big of a deal, and even if it were, the ends don't justify the means. Whether or not your check was wrong is kind of irrelevant. If you have to negatively affect everyone else's experience of the game in order to make the game exciting for you right now, maybe you should try to find other things that interest you about the game?

Everything that happened day 3 in terms of claiming and all the other mechanical stuff that was discussed was super meaningless. It made something that was simple and straightforward into a complicated mess. If you have a townread you believe in, you should talk about your reasoning on why you think that person is town, show it to other people, and hope that they listen. If they don't, there's nothing more you can do. The way you handled your shadow townread after you trueclaimed was really suffocating, and lying about having a green check is basically the same as gaslighting people. It's really gross. You were putting yourself above everyone else.

Mafia doesn't need to be super complicated. You pushed the game really far away from what it should be: just talking about your reads with each other. I've made the mistake of trying to create flawless winning plans before and it just doesn't work. People just need to follow their reads and if they read people wrong, well that's what mafia is all about and it's no big deal, they tried. Stressing about losing to potential people because of mechanical possibilities isn't a helpful way to approach the game, it turns people into cogs rather than people and it's really easy for mafia to manipulate.

I'm sorry if you feel bad because you wasted a lot of effort in this game. I also fucked up a bunch this game. It doesn't have to be about you. There were 15 players in this game. A lot of people were scumreading tom. Lynches don't just happen off the back of one person, and games aren't won just because of one person. It's all about teamwork and treating everyone with respect.

17. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Regardless of Shadow's alignment, it's not up to a single person to short circuit the game and decide as a force unto themselve who lives and who dies.

Then on the back of that, you ran roughshod over the game, ignoring everything that didn't fit your view and cherry picking from the things that did.

18. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

That Jari case was super sick btw Kai. You and Dels really crushed it on day 1.

19. Umami

Umami Squib

whelp just read a lot about horoscopes haha. Myers-briggs is my horoscope of choice :)

20. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

Wow okay I’ll just go fuck myself, lmao.
    --- Post automerged ---
    My bad, I won’t play here anymore then.