1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2019

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

There's no way that'll actually happen, is it?

If this is all a marketing move, hats off to them I guess!

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's certainly feasible that they could go back and add some realism textures to the model or tweak some facial features and such. But I wouldn't expect major CGI changes this late in the game.

That said, the garbage animation was probably the least garbage thing about that trailer. Movie is probably going to be a meme whether they overhaul the CGI or not.

3. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I hope with all my heart that the Sonic movie will feature Scratch and Grounder. That should make up for how gross Sonic looks.

4. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

[​IMG]
    The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

5. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Good god that trailer. I didn’t realize we were bringing back 90’s and early 2000’s Jim Carey, or that he was worth bringing back. (Then again, he’s antivaxx, I’m predisposed to hate him now.).

That CGI model though, can you say “uncanny valley”?
    --- Post automerged ---
    And on that note of terribad CGI, lets take a look at some holyfuck good CGI.

Though, I’m a little disappointed we won’t be getting Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella as Timon and Pumbaa.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I always try to mentally divorce an actor from his personal views. For example, Mel Gibson is a piece of shit, but he's a very good actor. Or with Tom Cruise and scientology but again, he's a good actor.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I try to do the same but I take serious issue with the idea Tom Cruise is a good actor. If I watch a movie character and I can’t remember the character’s name but remember the actors name...they aren’t playing a role, they are playing themselves.

Doesn’t mean they aren’t enjoyable to watch sometimes (ie will smith) but they aren’t a good actor.

8. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I understand this view, and there are certainly actors who seem to produce the same (often enjoyable) character under a range of names. But Cruise does have at least some flexibility. I couldn't tell you the name of his characters in Collateral, Tropic Thunder, or Edge of Tomorrow, but they are pretty distinct, and for me he's damn good as all of them.

9. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

He’s legitimately awesome in that.

[​IMG]

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    Cruise has been coasting for awhile now imo. I like his earlier stuff but his acting as only gotten worse over the years imo.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Hot take but I really don't get all the hate for the Sonic thing. It doesn't look half as bad as people make it sound.

12. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I agree. To me, it's not interesting, but not something I feel is terrible either.

13. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

You know I see the (at least theoretical) merit in remaking old classic Disney animated movies in live action, even if the only one they even attempted to do anything interesting with was Maleficent. I really don't see the point of making a 'live action' version of things like Dumbo or The Lion King. However beautifully animated it is, it hits uncanny valley hard, the freedom of traditional animation gives to express emotions on an animals face is lost. It looks like a very expensive cut scene and only really shines when it just looks like a nature documentary. You know they arn't going to change any aspect of the story or characters or shoot it in a way that plays off the realism of these versions of the characters, so they are just remaking it in an inferior medium.

Not that the live action remakes with people in have been any good either. None of them have added anything of worth to the original stories, characterisations or visuals. They not even particularly good or charming or memorable in their own right, even the near shot for shot remakes like Cinderella, and that must take some doing considering the source material.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    I’ve loved all of th e live remakes aside from dumbo but I hated the cartoon too...

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Same. I had some trouble discerning the characters and who was speaking for parts of the trailer. My desire to see the film went down significantly thanks to that.

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    @Sorrows The live action version of the Jungle Book I thought was amazing. The latest one, the one that kept faithful to the animated except for the ending.

Edit: I also enjoyed the Legend of Tarzan, but that was a re-imagining and not strictly a live action version of the animation.

17. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Review block has been lifted on Detective Pikachu. It looks like most critics found it above average at best though I think a large part of that may be an inherent bias against a Video Game Movie. Some critics seem to have dismissed it out of hand with nonsensical comments such as "Video Game mechanics not translating as well on the big screen" without elaborating further.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't think that one was Disney.

Edit: Yup. Warner Bros. They couldn't have taken cues from the cartoon even if they wanted to.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

It: Chapter Two trailer.