1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Fanon Magicks.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Outsider, May 5, 2019.

1. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Like the title say, your favorite fanon Magicks. It could be anything, spells, rituals, potions, it could be anything.

Some examples here, like, Godric 's challenge, Hera's candle, cardinal of light from nuhuh.

WORDS from shezza.

Potion that allow us ability to listen enchantments, from Taure.

Dementor destroying rune matrix from Swimdraconian.

I can't remember it of top of my head but Joe has written some nifty Magicks.

These are mine, tell me yours.

OK.Cool.

2. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Spellchaining by JBern. I hadn't read anything to that effect until Bungle in the Jungle, and I was, at that time, pretty impressed.

3. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Sounds interesting, and can you tell me how does it work?

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Read the fic, mate. I've told you where I came across it.

5. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    TL:DR Spellchains are spells whose motions naturally align, so that the end of one sequence starts the next of the next spells sequence. For instance, a spell whos casting motion is a downward diagonal slash from left to right, followed by one whose casting motion is an upward diagonal slash from right to left. This puts the caster back to "neutral" and allows them to cast any spell from given position.

6. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Fascinating.

7. Deltox

Deltox Banned

High Score:
    This is by no means exclusive to JBern or his fics. It's super common in HP fanfiction. I come across it everywhere.

8. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Maybe it was rare at the time, when jbern wrote it.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah it was a trope that jbern started. Personally I'm not a huge fan because I'm of the view that wand motions can be dispensed with in the same way that incantations can be dispensed with (i.e. they are still there, but they are within the wizard's mind rather than being physically performed). We see far too many adult wizards cast complex magic with simple flicks and waves of their wands for wand motions to be something that always has to be performed.

Sey
  10. Outsider

Outsider Banned

I think, maybe, that doing Magic without wand motion and incantation takes immense amount of consternation. It can hamper you in magic duels, hence spellchains.

11. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    "Magicks"? What?

12. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Blame Crowley.

13. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Mr. Crowley.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also, Magicks of Arcane.

14. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Since the wand motions are internalized, their patterns are still relevant. Thus, spell-chaining can still be put into effect. For example, if a witch picks spells that naturally align with one another and casts them in order, they could be cast faster than if she had not chained them. Or perhaps spell-chaining could affect the power pr synergy of the spells in some way. I think it could be an interesting mechanic as long as someone figures out how to do something interesting with it, and it seems like it could fit into your magic system if you let it.

15. Outsider

Outsider Banned

That's what I was saying. Totally agree with you.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think this follows. It would be like saying that the non-verbal incantations flow easier when the last syllable of one is created with the same mouth-shape as the first syllable of the next. Once you're enunciating mentally, mouth-shape fails to matter because you're not actually making any of the physical movements. So too with wand motions - if they're occurring mentally, you're not constrained by one movement having to flow into the next one for faster casting. Your "mental wand" would just "teleport" from the end of spell 1 to the start of spell 2 (assuming that the internalisation is even conscious, rather than sub-conscious).

17. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Spell-chaining doesn't have to be about the wand following into the next pattern. Instead, it could be based on how the patterns overlap or something, with the interactions dictated by magic theory. Though I understand that it seems somewhat unnecessary. I just feel like if someone likes spell-chaining enough, they could figure out a way to fit it into the magic system.

Edit: Though if wand motions are not only about the shape, but the flow of the shape, as in there being a start and end point to the internalized motion, then spell-chaining as it is commonly used can still be viable.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

At the time Miranda Flairgolds Bloodmagic/Thread Magic and related magics were all pretty cool.

It was at best 2% Harry Potter by the end of the first story. But the development of the magics were good, it doesn't work at all with Canon, but I liked the fact it was systematic, you had to slowly build up over time, and there was real danger to it.

19. Horton

Horton Second Year

Magical Cores, Ley Lines, Notice Me Not Charms, Magical Bloodlines, Male Veelas, Chakras, Blood Wands, LoTR style Elves, Marriage Contracts and Harems.

Just for the sheer depth and creativity authors had to put into them, in order to think those ideas up.

20. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Ogbert's onion was pretty cool.