1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Its probably both.

They have to establish the multiverse sooner or later. Its such a vore concept to superhero comincs and a licence to print money. Just think of all the reboots that arent reboots because its earth 57 or whatever the Marvel version of that is.

Than just sprinkle in actors from the previous movies as needed and the MCU will last for a thousand years.

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I mean, it explains the title…

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I doubt they'll get rid of the 'continuity' aspect, given that Disney has been playing with the idea of bringing the tie-in formula to Star Wars as well. I think they fully recognize what a huge ticket sale driver the 'if you don't see this movie that you don't care about, you won't understand the big movie that you do care about' line of thinking is.

If anything, bringing in multiverse stuff just means there will be even more plot lines to keep track of, and bonus, they can do alternate versions of established characters.
    Inb4 Johansson comes back as Ultimate Marvel Black Widow.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

So what you're getting at is in another decade or so, Disney's gonna have their own version of the Infinite Crisis as they try to cull the hilariously overcomplicated multiverse back down to a reasonable level.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Very possibly. But I also suspect Marvel fatigue may set in faster than they're expecting if the phase 4+ plotlines do not have a focused overarching story to keep people interested. There has been some speculation that 'multiverse instability post snap' is that arc, and the phase 4 heroes will eventually have to do some big epic quest to seal the rifts between universes before an impending multiple reality meltdown.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

So, Kang the Conqueror as the next major villain?

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It’s good speculation but I think we should keep all these comments in the endgame thread.

Nothing overtly spoilerish here but I think we should wait another week or two before saying anything inthis thread.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Or Galactus. Or the Beyonder. Or maybe they'll subvert expectations and have no big bad at all. I'd really like them to try to do something novel instead of just retreading phase 1-3 but with a different bane-of-existence villain.

9. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Ah I'm so stoked! Spidey struggling to step into bigger shoes is exactly what I was hoping for.

10. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

People have been saying "Marvel Fatigue" literally for years, but still they keep going, still breaking records, still etc.

If there is a choice between Marvel blockbuster or "Oscar" movie, or random Horror movie, or yet another RomCom with the same tired plots, or random SJW movie, I'll still pick Marvel every time. I go to get entertained and Marvel hasn't failed me yet.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The next major villain is going to be Doctor Doom. Not because Kang, Galactus, Beyonder or Annihilus couldn't be more dangerous, but because his character and motivations gives Marvel more to play with while establishing him as the big bad.

There is no fatigue from good, entertaining films. As long as they deliver that, the people will keep buying the tickets for their movies.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

In the interest of fairness, I personally am suffering Marvel fatigue; the last one I saw was Guardians 2, and just haven't mustered the will or interest to go see the rest, despite knowing I'd probably enjoy them. I'm just over Marvel movies in general.

It's a total anecdote, and doesn't seem to be reflected in the wider audience to any appreciable degree, but it does/can happen.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I was in the same boat around phase2 - phase3 and would probably have skipped some of the side character movies had I not been under the impression that they could tie in to the main narrative. I may have binged them on netflix or something the day before the team-up movies, but I definitely would not have made it my business to see them in theaters so as to not to get spoiled by shit.

I think there is a not-insignificant portion of people out there who share that sentiment.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With the plethora of MCU TV shows coming out on Disney+ (as well as the ones already on Netflix) I definitely think some Marvel fatigue may set in with respect to those shows. TV has a different dynamic to movies - there's more competition, and it's more of a time investment. But I seriously doubt fatigue will affect the mainline movies - it's hard to be fatigued of something where your commitment is like 3 hours every 6 months.

15. KGB

KGB Headmaster

All of the Netflix shows are already cancelled.

I expect the Disney + ones to dial right down on the grim derp and be more pg than any of the previous series. Leaving them more targeted at children, which is the stated goal of D+

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm definitely fatigued on the TV shows - I dropped AoS halfway through series three, can't be bothered at all with the Punisher, and put off the second/third series of the other Netflix shows for months, although I have watched them now (and, to be fair, mostly thought them an improvement over their predecessors, save Jessica Jones), and stuff like Cloak and Dagger, or the Runaways, I haven't even thought about starting. I'm not even sure if they're considered part of the same wider universe or not.

The Disney+ stuff will probably depend on how much a subscription is, although so far none of them have really sounded that interesting (although again, to be fair, more so after Endgame, given the possibilities raised for followups).

17. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really a big fan of Runaways. I'm a completionist though and have to watch everything that's even considered part of a series. Inhumans nearly killed me. Thank god I dropped the Arrowverse completely else I'd have to slog my way through Supergirl.

I know they're kids in Runaways but they all just come off as so annoying and stupid. I dread to think how I'd react to Harry Potter if I was only just now introduced to it.

But as for the fatigue issue, it's not really something I've experienced. "Superhero" isn't really a genre in the way that horror or comedy are so each movie/TV show has the potential to be something completely different.

For example, other than being in the MCU, Jessica Jones shares very few similarities in terms of tone or story to the rest of the universe. Her show gives off more of a crime/mystery vibe.

Captain America: Winter Soldier never really felt like an actual Superhero Movie. To me, it felt more like a Tom Cruise movie/Action Movie.

GOTG: More sci-fi than anything. I don't think the word "Super" was even used in either movie at all. Yeah, Sci-fi has strong relations to Superhero movies but it can still stand on it's own.

Inhumans had the potential to be some kind of Marvel style Game of Thrones but Scoot Buck just pissed all over the show.

Ant-Man (More so the first than the latter) is kind of a heist movie. This one admittedly has the weakest link to a non-superhero genre but that's what I sometimes think of it as. Also, for some reason, I'm always reminded of the movie Tower Heist when I watch it despite there being very few similarities.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have no desire to watch the shows. It’ll suck if they are “necessary” to the plot.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Heh, I completely forgot Inhumans existed - didn't watch that, either, and won't be. Although perhaps a little ironically, the Arrow verse is becoming a bit more appealing, largely because of Supergirl, which I'm kind of enjoying so far.

Not burned out on the movies at all though. One or two I could survive without seeing again, although I'm definitely going to do a full rewatch at some stage.

20. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm suddenly reminded that the Arrowverse exists. I wonder how stupid the Flash has gotten since season.... 4-ish? Yeah.