1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

This season has been weirdly modern in everything from the social mores to the dialogue.

Did they forget they were writing about a medieval society?

2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

My favorite part about this episode is that /r/freefolk deemed it necessary to include this in the discussion thread

Capture+_2019-05-13-05-48-27.png

3. Mestre

Mestre Professor

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Favorite episode so far, she finally became the Queen she should've been this entire time. Too bad they'll kill her off next episode most likely.

5. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

What is the point of this show?

Life sucks and then you die? There's no point in trying to break away from cycles of madness or toxic relationships because you are doomed to go back to it in the end anyway? That if you try to be a good person and rise above it, events will conspire to doom you all the same?

I am baffled.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    S3 Daenerys: burns the slavers and the soldiers in Astapor, leaves civilians alone

S4: patiently waits for her spec ops team to infiltrate and turn the city against the slavers

S8: Qyburn's Improbable Fantasy Superweapon is out, soldiers surrender, bells ring---I'll burn the motherfucking lot of you

D&D went ham on the Mad Queen thing. Cersei ain't got shit on Daenerys.

And let's not forget Cersei dying by Falling Rocks.

7. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I dont get the bells tbh. Is it a reference to something I'm completely blanking on?

8. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

D&D have three Star Wars projects to work on for Disney. They ain’t got time for this Game of Thrones nonsense.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    It was the agreed signal for surrender.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Also wasnt the are a battle called the battle of the bells in Roberts rebellion? Wonder if that is at all relevant.

11. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Game of Thrones Patch 8.5 Notes:

-Reduced damage and accuracy of Euron's fleet balistas.

-Drogon's damage, speed and toughness increased.

-Removed Arya's True Stealth

-CleganeBowl event added. We hope you enjoy it

-Plot Armour's new passive: Fire Protection.

-Reduced effectiveness of Jon Snow's passive diplomacy abilities

-Reduced Structural Integrity of the Red Keep and increased fire damage susceptibility due to assaulting troops claiming it was "too OP".

-Removed unkillable modifier from Jamie Lannister, Cersei Lannister, Qybern, Euron Greyjoy, Gregor Clegane, Sandor "The Hound" Clegane, Varys

This gave me a chuckle, credit to reddit

12. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Yes but why did Dany go nuts and kill everyone? Are the bells somehow relevant to her backstory?

13. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Eh... points for medieval realism in Dany's attitude towards sacking a city there. Somewhat at odds with the last 4 episodes (and the last several cities she conquered), but it does feel more appropriate for Westeros than Tyrion's ever more hamfisted harping on non-violent solutions at all costs, and forgiving the sister he wanted dead for the first 5 seasons. So, I'm at least somewhat on board with team 'torch the fucking place'.

The narrative arc to get Dany from protecting civilians to torching the place should probably have been more than 2 episodes long though. I get where they're aiming - two dead dragons, her close friend and advisor dead, two other close advisors traitors, her boyfriend is her nephew and might be trying to take the throne... it's a lot going on. Kind of fair enough to be annoyed. And when, on top of that, the city that killed your friend and advisor rather than surrender suddenly decides somewhat too late that surrender would've been better, well... burning it down and salting the earth is kind of traditional.

Shame about the peasants. And the vastly diminished prospect of Dany surviving the next episode.

And I'm glad they nerfed the hypersonic, instant reload, superweapon ballistae, but damn - consistency much?

So, revised wishlist for the last episode: I'd like Dany to kill Jon, Arya to kill Dany, Drogon to fuck off to Valyria, and Ser Davos to take the Iron Throne. Nothing else I've wanted to happen has happened though, so slim odds on all of those.

14. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

I think the idea is that Dany is so hacked off that she won't accept surrender for all the dragons/friends she has lost. She wants everyone to suffer as much as she did, so it's time to fire up the barbecue.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    She went nuts because of extreme plot contrivance. Stop trying to make sense of this. It makes no sense.

16. sonder

sonder Professor

It's mother's day. My mom just spoiled Game of Thrones. I never thought I would be betrayed that way.

17. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Not even a little.
    It is Jon Connington who is haunted by the sound of bells. He was the man sent to hunt down Robert who was hiding in the town called Stoney Sept. Jon Con also does not exist in the TV show.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nyaaahh.

Everyone knew she was going to turn that way in the foreshadowing of just the last episode. Book readers have been calling her madness for years now. Still though I always thought it would play out with more subtlety than the mother of all temper tantrums.

I've defended this season at every opportunity but this is fucked. Jon is completely useless in this episode and it's now a clear setup for him or Arya to kill Dany before he fucks off north.

Euron and Jaime was just fucking stupid. Entirely.

Dany deciding to torch an entire capital, the base of the power she wants and her fucking family home.

The fact that Dany decided not to burn all the shit at night.

The golden company and Harry Strickland being entirely irrelevant.

The hero saves peasant from rape by an allied soldier trope.

The complete retardedness of the troop numbers involved.

On the other hand, what did Tyrion ask Davos to smuggle?

Also, we got to see the pale mare.

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    I particularly liked how Dany disappeared from the episode after the bells. Not even a reaction shot of her at the end. Instead we got Arya meeting a horse in slowmo.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

[​IMG]