1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, that’s actually really Interesting. I almost kinda wish that we had a bit of progression, and people would still have to grind MC etc. But wait... maybe they actually do! Still have to gear up for Naxx etc. if I recall quickly, there’s no easy way to do that apart from raiding right?

Holy shit, if there’s no cross server anything, I will actually play this I think.

I have way too many good memories of WSG with Zin Rohk.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

They do have to grind MC; there's no way to do Naxx without gear from AQ40, and you can't do AQ40 without gear from BWL, etc.

Also, they're timegating content. First batch of raid content is MC + Onyxia, then BWL + ZG, then AQ20+40, then Naxx. I don't believe they've given a timeframe for it, but it's probably a reasonable guess that the first batch will be unlocked a month or two after launch, to remove the grind pressure for competitive folks, and then new raid content every 6-9 months after.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeah, ok, I'll definitely be playing this. But on Aus/NZ servers.

Mage and warrior were my first two characters, and I see no reason to do anything different this time around.

Ok, I'm actually pretty hyped for this now.

Edit: Ok, I started raiding as a Shadow Priest in BC. Were they a needed thing, ie mana providers, in classic?

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Yes, except at the time, and I can't remember when this changed but I'm 98% certain it was when BC launched, they (and Shaman totems + bloodlust) were limited to just the group they were in, not the raid as a whole. So what would happen is the raid would have 2-3 shadow priests and they'd get rotated into the healer group and ordered to mana battery as the healers required. It wasn't strictly necessary, as potions didn't have the fight lockout they do now and could be chugged every minute or so (not to mention how downranking worked), but spriests saved a lot from the potion budget and were just generally quite appreciated.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    Nope, totems and SP were group based for all of BC. It’s how I always got into a bloodlust group with shaman healers!

Ok, maybe I’ll play SP + War then. Old SP was so much fun.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Might go for wow classic, this sounds neat. Kinda hoping they will go down an AU story path where they don't repeat the stupid mistakes there.

7. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Apparently they've been talking about adding content that they never were able to add in the original, or even adding some stuff from BC or WotLK.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm excited - have been excited - for a while. But I'm also kind of sad because everytime I get nostalgic and look forward to this I remember how much Beast Mastery sucked for raiding.

I haven't respecced my Hunter for a single dungeon in the entire time I've been playing, which is 15ish years almost since I started day 1.

I have a good friend who wants to tank but wishes anything but Warrior was truly viable for end game Horde tanking.

As much fun as this will be it's already a let down because the game had too many blindspots like those. I don't need BM to be as good of DPS as MM but I'd like it to be close enough to be viable.

Bear tanks might manage dungeons if they gear perfectly but IIRC the difficult raids were Warrior only.

Is Druid good for anything? I started healing as a Tree in BC but no idea how it was in Vanilla when Druid was more of a true Jack of All Trades.

And again... I'm on board with hybrids being less effective as a trade off. But there were too many required specs vs useless ones, I think?

It's been a while.

I'll be playing on whatever server my guild ends up on.

((Edit - I have a gear piece from original Naxx somewhere I think... I am fairly sure I never tossed it. I really want to find it now, hah))

9. Ankan

Ankan Professor

While vanilla private servers does not function exactly as classic wow (simply because we haven't known how certain things were calculated, things like certain stats and spell mechanics). It has taught us a lot more about how viable some classes are.

In PvP, druid should be all good. For raiding, you'll have no problem finding a guild as restoration. There'll be a demand (not as high demand as priests, but the supply for rdruid is also lower).

You'll be good in terms of loot priority (you'll be competing with rogues, so you'll be geared faster than most specs). Here's a link to a very interesting discussion on MMO-Champ

Personally for Vanilla, I'm probably gonna roll Warrior as a main. I have almost 300 days logged on my my druid on retail, but I want to switch things up a little.

10. Innomine

High Score:
    I am actually genuinely excited about this now. I would love it if they added BC to it about 2 years from now. I never raided much in classic, just MC, BWL, Ony, ZG, and AQ20. The opportunity to do AQ40 and Naxx as it was would be amazing.

I wonder if the nostalgia will be enough to sustain gameplay. I think it’ll depend on the communities that form on the servers. That was always the best part of WoW for me. You had a reputation on your server. It was a currency.

I’m going to have a horrible time deciding between horde or alliance here... human female warrior was who I was. I think it’s going to have to be that. Can always get Noggenfogger for undead male model. Which would be my second choice.

11. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Good news then.

12. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Shadow priest giving mana was a BC thing. The only thing they have is buffing shadow damage for locks.

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Haha, I am WAY too old to live through the original Naxx again. Fuuuuck that.

I think we were about the fifth-sixth guild to beat the original Four Horsemen fight, and that was mainly due to absorbing a few tanks that had the first set bonus when the raid killed the other big guild on our server - we'd figured out how to do it, along with the other ridiculous raid guilds of the time, but as with everyone else just couldn't get the gear to drop consistently. I really hope they keep the drop rates how they originally were too, just so people get the true experience, lol. Having to full-gear from AQ40 beforehand too, just so you can survive the one-shots that happen if you're not geared enough... *shudder*

People actually wanted this?

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I wasn't any good at WoW in Vanilla so I typically was the person filling in the 40th slot when no one else was readily available. I got better and played semi-seriously in BC and WotLK. Since then I've been a very casual player and I can't see myself ever going back to quasi-hardcore.

But WoW Classic is still going to have a lot more convenience to it than Vanilla did, even if Blizzard removes all the convenience aspects they've added. There will be Discord groups, for one thing, and people with BNET open talking to larger groups on there (even if it doesn't show up in-game for Classic).

I expect that things like 40-mans (which I loved and look forward to again) will never feel quite the same, just because the internet and social groups for games in general have become so much more widespread and easy to access. Plus there's a huge playerbase that has gotten better at the basics of WoW and will learn more quickly when revisiting old content than they did at the time.

Or no?

15. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yes, basically why I've little to no interest in classic. The formula of the game was better from an MMO standpoint in my opinion, but the content is still regurgitated.

16. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

The new cinematic is pretty cool. Green Jesus is Back.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was cool and all....

Where the fuck is my sexy Jaina cinematic?

Tbf, this focus on Saurfang isn't my thing as a life-long Alliance boi, but it's very clearly (to me) setting up some permanent change in the Warcraft universe, which i appreciate.

18. Mestre

Mestre Professor

After two cinematics of Saurfang being sad for committing genocide, another cinematic of Saurfang doing a grin after punching some random undead and Blizzard declaring that "the night elves got their revenge in darkshore" my investment in lore is probably dead for good and with the classes being super boring pretty much killed this expansion for me.

Flynn, Shaw, Wyrmbane and the dark iron are cool though

19. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

So I guess most of you have stopped playing and/or are waiting to spend your time n classic only?

I've personally been playing Dota for the past month or so with the battle pass... So I just got around to playing 8.2.
    On a side note... it is freakin weird that Dota brings out the worst in me but I never get tired of playing it; And Wow brings out the best in me but I get bored every once in 4 months or so. So weird.

Anyway, Nashjatar is frankly meh for me. They seem to be going back to what worked in Legion. The zone is a combo of Aszuna, Suramar and Argus, which I guess fits the theme and lore. The quests are pretty much normal stuff. The normal grind. We'll have to see what the raid looks like.

Mechagon though... Mechagon I love. XD
    I am now leveling a Gnome warrior.

20. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't play Legion which is probably why i love Nazjatar.

In terms of gameplay, I ended at 3485 io last season, top 200 world 8D I played more than i should have, but somehow still less than I wanted.