1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

In book 7, why didn’t the OotP tell Rufus about Pius being under Imperious curse?

Send an anonymous owl, send a howler, at worst he ignores it at best he tests him and delays D day by a bit.

Rufus died protection Harry’s location, so while he seemed a bit of a twat, he was always for the good guys.

But on that side, is there a way to test a break it?

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

They didn't know he was imperiused. They thought he was a Death Eater. As to why they didn't mention that, that'd be pure speculation, it's not even clear that they didn't tell Scrimgeour.

A way to break the Imperius Curse? Sure. See all of GoF; it's a battle of wills. Hence why, apparently, it was not easy at all to get Thicknesse; it's to his credit it took that long, and that Voldemort resorted to the Imperius in the first place.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The battle of wills is internal. Can an external person lift it if they suspect someone is under it?

4. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    The impression we get from the books is that it is both undetectable and nigh unbreakable. Only thing that breaks it is the Thief's Downfall in Gringotts, which I think is safe to say isn't easily reproducible or else they'd just put one at the entrance to the Ministry and be done with all the problems it causes.

5. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gonna add to this that even if Scrimgeour believed them, he probably can't go firing his DMLE Head without going through a bunch of hoops else Fudge probably would have fired Bones back in his denial phase.

6. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

But why? On top of my head I cant think of a scene were the two disagreed on anything? In fact I can only remeber two scenes with both, the one being the trial were she didn't opposed Fudge; and the other being with the prime minister were Fudge seemed to respect her (after she was already dead though).

7. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm, fair point. I guess I'm blurring fanon with canon.

8. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    The trial?

9. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

I haven't read OotP in quite some time but as far as I remeber she only asks about the patronus and says nothing else. And we don't know wether she voted in favour of Harry or not.

10. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

She did disagree with Fudge when he tried to rubbish Arabella Figg's testimony by saying that she described the effects of a dementor attack very accurately.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Do the appearances of animagus forms age with the animagus? For instance, was McGonagall a young cat in her youth and an old cat in her old age?

I understand it's next to impossible to determine an animals age just by a few glances here and there. However growing old is a major change to one's physiology and thus should be reflected in the animagus form. Similar to how Pettigrew's cut off finger and then metal hand were reflected.

What are other's take on this matter?

11. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:

12. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Do you guys think someone could practice Legilimency on an individual who is delirious, passed out, or in and out of consciousness? Does that strain credulity?

13. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Wasn't Voldemort intentionally communicating with Harry while he was asleep? I mean there was a mental link between them, but it seems possible. Are we talking about the Longbottoms?

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

AFAIK there's not much to confirm/deny it in canon, so if you're writing fanfic then just world-build it however you like? Justify it in-universe, of course, but I'd accept it either way in a particular story if handled well.

15. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I was more thinking of a situation like Harry turns up to the Hospital wing injured and unconscious, Dumbledore uses Legilimency to go into his mind to find out why.

16. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Perhaps the challenge with using it on delirious people would be that their thoughts are all jumbled.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Is there a canon spell that deletes browser history? In that I mean that would render the prior incantato spell useless. It's a popular fanon trope - cleaning your wand before an investigation. I suppose the follow-up question is if the reverse spell effect actually goes beyond the most recent spells.

18. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I don't recall any canon spell that removed a wand's casting history. I would imagine someone would have invented such a thing, if only to get around legal attention, but I don't think it's ever mentioned canonically and likely wasn't something JKR ever considered.

As for your second question: have you forgotten the graveyard duel in GOF? Quite literally, we see the priori incantatum effect on Voldemort's wand, and it goes back at least 13 years pretty easily. I would assume there's an upper limit to the number of spells you can go back, if only because you'd grow bored and lose focus eventually, but time doesn't seem to be a factor at all.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I must have thought the phoenix core effect was different for some reason, but Dumbledore does call it the same thing. Good call.

But I would think for some auror investigating some heinous dark wizard, he'd have nothing but time... though already having his wand would remove some urgency?

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I mean yeah, but the way HP works, if the auror's got the wand, 99.9% of the time, he's also got the wizard. Much simpler and easier to just dose the guy with Veritaserum, get a confession for all his crimes, and be done with it.

In the super edge case where the auror manages to disarm his opponent but the now-basically-a-muggle manages to escape anyway, then yeah, I would imagine the guy would spend a few hours/days pouring through the wand's history to help build their case(s) against the perp. But I can't imagine that happens very often.