1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why would you regret the SSD? It's an amazing upgrade on load times.

Regardless, it's looking pretty likely we'll get the ps5 in q4 2020. If there's nothing you desperately want to play atm just wait until then.

It'll be backwards compatible too, so anything you do miss will be playable at ps5's launch.

I think it's also pretty likely we might get Horizon 2 as a launch title. Timing lines up well.

2. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I think he was implying he regrets only 500gb for the SSD.

I'm currently eyeballing a 1tb M.2 SSD.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't waste your money on SSDs for your consoles right now. The PS5 will come with one and I don't personally see the value of getting one now for your ps4 tbh.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    This. With all the expansions and updates, GT Sport and Destiny 2 each occupy more than 100GB of my available space (a bit more than 400GB) and with the PS4’s… let’s say “unique” policy regarding free space and patches, I need to keep quite a lot of what remains free for incremental patches, the latest example of which was that 66GB were needed for a 200MB patch.

Yeah, I wouldn’t even have thought about getting one if my old HDD hadn’t died. As it was, there was a sale on SSDs on Amazon at the time so here we are.

I haven’t made a decision yet, but if I do get a new console, I’ll get a 1TB one and see if I can offload the SSD to my sibling at a reduced price.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Not that it changes anything, but for the sake of clarity, the (most likely) reason for that is because the system creates a copy of the game installation (or at least the relevant sections of the installation), applies the patch to the copy, and then replaces the original with the updated copy. It's done this way in order to preserve the original installation and guarantee that a patch-gone-wrong can't break your install and force you to redownload the game in question.

It's a little silly, as diff trackers and file reverts aren't exactly new or difficult, but it's not terrible, so long as you prioritize minimizing bandwidth usage over disk usage.

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Thanks for the explanation – I actually looked it up yesterday because I was curious, but yours is a lot more concise than the one I found on reddit! It’s a sensible thing to do in the absence of other solutions, I suppose, but definitely a small annoyance in terms of quality of life, especially if games are set to blow up to even larger proportions in the coming years, so I hope there’s some sort of solution for the next gen.

I miss the times when DA Origins’ 10GB was the biggest thing I’d ever downloaded.

In general, I actually prefer to buy my games on disk (the notable exceptions being Destiny 2 and MLB The Show, which you can’t get on disk in Germany), so my current issue really hampers my ability to play most of the games I enjoy.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Update: Lasted 5 1/2 years without a screwdriver in my flat (the tool, that is – there were more than a few cocktails of that name made here in the past), but I bought a new set today to try to “reverse repair” my PS4’s disc drive. Turned the screw in the opposite direction as one should do when trying to eject a disc, and got it to work like a charm once again. Overall, it was an investment of 2€ vs. 389€ for a new PS4 Pro – can’t complain about that. Let’s see how long the peace will last.

7. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

8. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    @Knyght: Can I watch without major spoilers from the game? Still haven't gotten around to playing it...

9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

You can. Just a short, amusing clip.

10. Nazgoose

High Score:
    Lol, hope they kept it.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

They did not. That scene in the final product is Kratos just walking silently outside (though from his body language it's pretty clear he's thinking it).

12. Nazgoose

High Score:
    What a shame.

13. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've finally accepted my fate and have realised that I'll probably never permanently leave Runescape. Maybe once I actually max everything I can be rid of this burden.

I've also just tried about 25 minutes of Outlast before noping the fuck out and putting on some Brooklyn Nine Nine to calm my nerves. I'll probably try playing it again tomorrow during the day. With the lights on. And music playing. And surrounded by friends and family.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  15. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I just finished playing two of the best games I have ever played in my life. One of them is easily in my top 5 games of all time list.

So first of all I finished playing Sekiro it was the greatest pure video-game I have ever played in my life. I love the gameplay and fighting in this game. The game encourages aggressive game-play based on swords and the best way to succeed is to read the rythm of your opponents attack and parry on time.

At first I played the game like Dark Souls but I would die to bosses constantly. It especially became frustrating during the second fight with Genichiro because dodging doesn't help. Out of pure frustration, I remember deciding to play the next try aggressively, caution be damned and man.... I discovered an entirely new game and Sekiro went from a nice and challenging game to a legendary game that gave me an experience that no other game has ever given me.

In my next attempt, it all clicked into place, where I was attacking and parrying and I got into mesmerizing flow of beautiful rhythmic combat.
    The game changed and each boss encounter became the epic scenarios I have always dreamed of playing. The Final fight with the Saint felt like I was playing a really well made final anime fight. It was beautiful because I never ran or tried to cheese the fight. It was pure, it was beautiful and it was brilliant.

What a game. What a journey. I am genuinely glad I was alive to experience this game.

The next game I finished was Yakuza 0.

Yakuza 0 is amazing. I loved Kuramocho and Sotenbori. I loved doing weird side quests with surprisingly wholesome conclusions.

I loved running the Carbaret club, training the hostesses and taking over, consequently earning me billions. The real estate mini game was slightly underwhelming in comparison.

The Fight system was cool but I enjoyed fighting more as Majima than Kiryuu.

The story was engrossing from start to finish and I often put down my controller to watch the really well made and well-acted cutscenes that were slightly undermined when they transitioned to ingame scenes.

If you are looking for a game to play and you love good stories, fun gameplay and a good helping of weirdness. I highly recommend Yakuza 0.

16. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just ragequit from an incredible game of CK2. I'll be going back in tomorrow.

Starting as some no-one count in Achaia, I fought and clawed for a few generations to claim the island, then to claim the Kingdom of Greece. During this, I pulled in four bloodlines, and spread my dynasty to multiple counties around the empire, and focused on writing dynasty books, for that +15 (side note, I murdered my rival's father, and was caught doing it. I was still at +100. This run went right). Over another hundred years, and I managed to become Basilieus at 18 after the... Unfortunate and completely random murders of my Grandfather (at which point my Mother took the throne) and then my Mother. I think my father might have been involved, what with his sudden suicide after I ascended the throne.

I then formed every single duchy and kingdom, and passed them out to the random landed kinsmen. It was internal bordergore, but with vassal wars allowed, and dynast members being given nearly every piece of land I could get my grubby little fingers on, I didn't actually mind who came out on top.

Now with unlimited power at my fingertips, and the Abbasids going through some horrific civil wars, I managed to claim four of the five sites of the pentarchy. By the time that was done, there'd been a religious uprising in the Vatican (didn't know that could happen), and I snapped it up to make all five, and I fixed the great schism before it ever actually happened.

I like to try and roleplay a bit - nothing gamebreaking, but if my character is dull and stuffed with vices when I inherit, I try to not become a shining beacon of morality. This was my downfall. Because I became insane, so played a bit more risky then I generally would.

With a few more wars, I'd taken north Africa, which gave plenty of room to land claimants for further expansions. This is, in fact, how I claimed the entirety of Italy. At which point, I had the old Imperial Borders, and reformed into the Roman Empire. And was offered the choice to convert to Hellenism.

Now, one thing I should mention, is that I'd reclaimed Rome as my capital. And ousted the previous (what I thought) Viceroy of Ravenna. Except I'd not given it as a vicekingdom, I'd just outright given it away. So now all my vassals hated me.

I jumped on the chance to bring back the Glory Days, and formed Hellenism. And promptly reformed into a real religion (Temporal, Equality, Meritocracy, Proselytising. Complete heir designation, GHW, and less factions). Queue a 'we want to stay Orthodox' rebellion, and a 'we want to stay unreformed' rebellion. Also a 'We want your Genius-BITP son to be in charge' rebellion, which I couldn't figure out, given he was already the heir, and I was already on my last legs.

Also a Sunni, Catholic, and Bogomilist uprising.

And then I get the notification that the plague has been spotted.

At which point, I think it would be good to quit while I'm ahead, and drop dead.

My son inherits, and manages to just about put out all the fires, and survive the plague. Because everyone's constantly dying due to the plague, bordergore is worse than ever, and everyone hates everyone else for having claims or land that they all want. But we're just about sorted, and everything is looking to be back to normal. My fifth wife managed to live through the plague, and I've now got a six month year old BITP daughter. All I have to do, is survive until I've hit about 35, and we'll be back in safe hands again.

In the mean time, I'll nominate one of my surviving family mem...

Oh.

They're all dead. Or heretics (which is worse). Or dull (which is even worse). Nevermind, I'll pick someone semi-decent, and bribe literally everyone, except whoops I'm dead.

At which point my daughter, less than year old, goes back to being the Duchess of Achaia, and loses everything but the city of Rome. Some random guy from the arse-end of nowhere's the new Pontifex Maximus, and he's a catholic as well (didn't know you could hold a religious head title for a religion you weren't). Also, titles now appear to have completely random inheritance laws - some are on Primo, some are on Elective Monarchy, and the PM and Roman Emperor are both on Imperial Elective.

There's a new king of Greece, but that's on Seniority, and he's a dynast member, which means it could well come back to me. So if I can survive the next fifteen years, then murder a bunch of old people, and hopefully survive long enough to switch it back to Primo, I'm in with a chance to get back on top.

Also, some arsehole has all my dad's loot. I know who it is, so I'm marrying his son, having a kid, and then murdering both of them. Don't know why he got the library, handgun, armour, and magical penis; but I want them all back.

17. Arthellion

High Score:
  18. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If Fable stays true to form the presentation will be amazing, then we'll have to sort through what we'll actually get in the final product versus all the features Molyneux hyped to shit.

But I'd love to see a proper Fable game after all these years.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Fable was never what it was hyped to be, but I blame Molyneux more for that than anything Fable 1 and 2 were damn good games and the 3rd was, while not amazing, solid. Since Lionstar or whatever it was called is dead, I don't think we will have that problem. The rumors I've heard are that its a game pre-fable 1.

20. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

Sekiro was a treat, particularly in the satisfaction I got from a good stealth kill and the elegance of the shinobi prosthetics, but I never quite gelled with the Posture system. It's a cool idea, but I am a dyed-in-the-wool Soulsborne nerd. I want my parries and my expertly timed dodge rolls. If you are not willing to play the Posture game in Sekiro, you aren't really playing the game. I get it, of course. Miyazaki doesn't want to remake the same game with a slightly different coat of paint for the rest of his life, but I love the Soulsborne formula so much that I couldn't help feeling a touch disappointed by Sekiro.

My brother talked me into giving Nioh a spin if I am thirsty for more Souls-like stuff, but I may just marathon my way through the Dark Souls Trilogy again.

I am also finally taking a stab at Dragon Age: Inquisition. DAII torched my interest in the franchise as a whole, but a friend of mine made a pretty compelling case for it. I can usually trust his taste in video games. As old as Inquisition is, it's bound to be cheap. Fingers crossed that it has more in common with Origins and Awakening than II.

Not open for further replies.