1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FWIW, the 'game out of Japan' he mentioned is a new From open world game based on Norse mythos, allegedly.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There is this interesting theory that the Children of the Forest are not actually helping humanity and are in fact working against them or at the very least, their actions are mainly for their own benefit than to help humans. Because Bran can warg into people, the only one IIRC as the other wargs can only do animals, the CotF want to absorb him into their shared consciousness of the weirwood tree net to have access to his strong and unique abilities. So from that angle, and the fact that Bran has become this detached stranger, you could say that the CotF now kinda staged a takeover of Westeros. Sure, as mentioned before, who ended up in charge doesn't make much sense with how people would accept him or anything but if true that the CotF are actually an enemy faction, I could see the show just showed that badly (or you know, made liberal use of children warging into the remaining lords and ladies from weirdwood trees behind the scenes).

Fun theory, if nothing else. And you know, the line between fanfic ideas and genuine speculation is often drawn by sight.

3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

4. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

5. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Would love to see GRRM's ideas and style in a Bloodborne sequel.

6. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

“I’ll write it, you read it-“

Gonna stop you right there with a big ol’ doubt.

I sooner believe that Lungs will go sober and Syaoran releases the entirety of Fictional than GRRM will manage to release two books before he dies during triple-bypass surgery. Miss me with that hope shit.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I would say that:
    - Jon going back to the North - yes, but after personally refusing the crown.
    - Dany becoming mad and getting killed - yes, I doubt D&D would do that if it wasn't in GRRM's outline.
    - Dany killed by Jon - a big maybe.
    - The Iron Throne destroyed - yes.
    - The North getting independence - no, not without all Seven Kingdoms dividing.
    - Sansa becoming a queen - no, just the Lady of Winterfell.
    - Tyrion becoming the Hand - I would say no, but would D&D really change what happens to one of the main characters?
    - Bran becoming the King - yes, but it happens very differently.
    - The King's Landing's destruction - yes, but not against Cersei. Dany vs fAegon is more likely.
    - Arya going West - probably yes.

Everything else is going to be different.

8. Deamonic

Deamonic Squib

The entire Arya ending is random as fuck. Like, why? Dora the Explorer ft.Arya Stark. Her dying would make more sense than this.

9. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

The last person to seriously attempt to make a voyage like that was Elissa Farman and she took a year to build her ultra-ship using gold she got from selling three dragon eggs to the Sealord of Braavos.

Don't see Arya succeeding in her quest unless she manages some Qyburn level technical innovation.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I was hoping for Queen Dany until the end. Would have ensured a monopoly of violence for her reign, which would hopefully cut down on succession violence. Her burning of Kind Landing was so out of nowhere. Yes, she has hints of madness in the books, but the madness is always recklessness or cruelly towards enemies. She reneges on a deal with slavers and burns them down-- but she doesn't burn down all their servants.

I also think the death of her 2nd dragon was so stupid and poorly done. Should have killed one against the NK-- not against fucking Euron Greyjoy. Though I also find Greyjoy a chore to read about. Needlessly cruel-- why doesn't he have a dozen mutines every day?

Real-life military leaders are cruel, maybe even a touch psychopathic, especially against enemies-- but not stupidly, excessively, over-the-top cruel against their own family and people. It just doesn't work in any situation but the short-run. Same thing can be said of the Boltons. They reach comical levels of cruelty in the books. Disgustingly cruel, and yet where are the mutinies of their men against them?

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Well, that turned out to be an utter train wreck. I met up with a couple of mates to catch the last episode and (even beyond our initial scepticism) we were blown away by how bad they actually managed to make it. I really feel bad for the actors.

The dialogue. The "Song of Ice and Fire". A historical account without Tyrion in it. Bran the Broken. Jon, one last time going: "Ma kween!" The weird switch of weather between snowy and sandy. The useless arranging of chairs. Grey Worm. Peaceful Dothraki. To be honest, the list is inexhaustible.

The more I think about it, the more my head hurts. At least r/freefolk has gotten some juicy memes out of it.

12. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I accepted the season was a lost cause and moved on fairly early. At this point, I'm just full of manic glee at the memes. The worse it got, the better the jokes were, so in a fucked up way this was a bigger win than if it was just mediocre.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don’t see Martin bring Jon back to life.

14. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I sincerely don't see them making that happen in the show without it being a plot point in the book.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd argue that Jon's resurrection is the first of "Made for tv" moments that happened in the show. It happened because it's good television, but it moves away from Martin's MO of "Actions have consequences." I think we've seen the last of Jon snow in the books.

16. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Jon Snow coming back to life in the books got called well before they actually brought him back in the show. There's a reason Dance of Dragons opens by establishing that wargs have ways to escape the death of their physical bodies. R'hllor priests being able to bring folks back from the dead is also pretty well established, and Melisandre is still in the general vicinity.

Now, Jon immediately getting his old body back and pretty much carrying on as though his death was a minor inconvenience ... far less likely.

In the books the Boltons pretty much are putting up with a mutiny between the Northern Lords going over to Stannis and the Manderlys plotting against them. Not to mention Roose keeps telling Ramsay to knock that psycho shit off because it's turning people against them.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Um.

18. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

Aaron Rodgers is one of us.

19. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Most disappointing thing is that I've read at least a dozen better fan endings in the last 24 hours than what D&D wrote.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/brdq9i/shouldve_been_10_seasons/eodntww/

20. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

It'd be pretty dumb for logistics and food to play such a pivotal role when they're basically ignored/handwaved in the books. Still don't understand how anyone survives year-long winters with multiple wars in a 5 year timespan.