1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

That's just icing on the cake, really. There were plenty of other reasons in that outline for people not to accept Dany -- foreign invader, Dothraki horde doing what a Dothraki horde does, the noble houses not accepting her, increasing paranoia leading to all kinds of executions, religious opposition to her association with red priests, etc.

2. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the "snow" was ashes and they used the return to "sand" as a way to show that time had passed. Much in the same way they did with Tyrion and Jon's beard.

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

KL looked like any other southern city when Dany went mad. The Golden Company was standing on sandy ground. The fleet was bobbing up and down in normal water. Even if it didn't look particularly warm, it sure wasn't looking like a long winter, or winter at all.

How many hours have passed between the end of episode five and the start of six? Half a day to a day, I'd say. At best. So, when episode six rolls around, suddenly the snow is supposed to be knee-high, or even high enough to hide a dragon? And then three weeks later it's all gone again? Sure was a long winter.

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It's almost like they filmed it in Ohio, except our weather changes faster and more dramatically than that. :p

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    None of the white stuff in KL was snow.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    People need to actually read the books before throwing up any more of these "The books don't address this thing that's actually explicitly and very clearly addressed in them" posts.

"How do we not starve to death in winter?" is a conversation that's come up several times, as is the fact that all these armies marching all over the place has resulted in a lot of burned fields and looted stockpiles. The only reason it doesn't get more focus is that there are usually other things that are going to kill off the characters before starvation becomes an issue.

7. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

No? It kind of looks like it. I mean I get that it could be ash, but that seems a bit much for that.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

(Kit shopped into a still from Dracula Untold)

9. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Pretty gay, tbh.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So much edge on the armour he wouldn't have needed a knife to kill Dany.

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    A gigantic city burned. There was not enough ash in the show, rather. But yes, all of it was ash.

12. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

Pretty sure it's snow. It's too white, and we see a flake fall on Dany's face and melt.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's ash, not snow. Like not even debatable. The whole point is a call back to "I don't want to be Queen of the ashes".

14. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Seventh Year

It’s also a callback to her vision all the way back in Season 2, where it looked like she was in the throne room, the keep was destroyed, and everything was covered in what looked like snow; leading to the presumption that the White Walkers would destroy King’s Landing before she returned. Honestly, of all the attempts at “subverting expectations”, this was a decent one. Or would have been if anyone remembered that scene from 7 years ago.
    There was an interview with GRRM, I think just before Season 7 started, where he said something along the lines of Rhllor's resurrections not being just a second chance at life, which led to some interesting theorizing.
    Beric Dondarrion already said he came back a bit less every time, and according to the interview, this extends to him no longer remembering the face and name of his bethrothed or his family lands. All in all, GRRM seems to be saying that people brought back by Rhllor become more and more focused on achieving the purpose they were brought back for, with everything else that makes them them withering away, and Beric going through this 6 times can be presumed to have had an extreme effect. There was also an "ice preserves, fire consumes" metaphor involved. Taking this to the extreme, the fandom came up with a theory where people brought back by Rhllor are basically fire wights, they focus single-mindedly, mindlessly on a certain mission (Beric was tasked by Ned to bring the Mountain to justice, LSH wants to assure the safety of and take revenge for her children, etc) and everything not pertinent to it sort of burns away. The theory's proponents expect Jon not to recognize Jeyne Poolee/f!Arya in Winds of Winter, or rather that she's not Arya, because if it's true there's a good chance Jon no longer remembers Arya's face.
    Honestly, with how much he was repeating that "But she's the queen tho" line, I was expecting the show to confirm the theory last episode.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  15. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

That's an interesting idea. I am annoyed that there seems to have been no consequences for Job being revived in the show. Felt like a get-out-of-jail free card, which doesn't feel like GRRM's style. Something like that would be quite bittersweet. He awakens, seems like things are fine, but he is forgetting some finer points of who his friends were, culminating in not recognizing a family member.

That would make a Jon POV actually interesting, which would be a real accomplishment. He just comes off as a pretty bland character to me in the books. Maybe it's intentional, some sort of subversion?

I desperately hope Dany doesn't go this crazy in the books, but I doubt the showrunners would have made such a twist up themselves. Still, hopefully it actually feels like something she would do by the time she does it in the books.

And that the deaths of her dragons are handled better than magical!arrow!Euron Greyjoy.

16. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

The script for that scene literally says it's snow, though. And we also see icicles in the vision.

It's... definitely debatable. Again, we see a flake of snow melt on Dany's face. It could be both ash and snow I guess, but there's definitely snow there.

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There was no snow before or during the battle, then the city burns and we see ash drift in the air and you think there's a debate to be had over what the white stuff covering the charred remains of the city is?

18. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jon's the one that actually goes crazy and Dany knifes him.

Calling it naow.

19. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Jon is too boring to do that.

20. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Book Dany is much different than Show Dany. In the books she is much more dreamy and childlike. She mourns the death of the child due to her dragons and forgets the name in the same chapter, accepting collateral damage in pursuit of her destiny. She is not written as the heroic liberator as she is depicted in the show

Book Euron is not a discount Jack Sparrow. He is a terrifying dark Lord who claims to have been to Valyria and survived. He has a set of Valyrian steel armor and a horn that can be used to command dragons. He wants to team up with Dany so he sends his brother with the horn.