1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Solo Leveling

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Celestin, May 23, 2019.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Does anyone read Solo Leveling? It's a webtoon based on a novel that as countless others is about a nobody who becomes an overpowered Mary Sue. Only difference is that it delivers on all these cool moments where everyone is amazed by the main character's powers and the artwork alone does 80% of that. I highly recommend it to people who want to read something light in a plot, but awesome in execution.

2. Damy

Damy First Year

I've been following it for a while now, and gotta say it's really good. Like yeah, the story is cliche as all hell within the genre, but on the other hand the MC is much more bearable - and actually quite likable - than most others in similar stories. And the visuals are orgasm-worthy.

Honestly, this really reminds me of Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, and that's a very good thing. Of all the OP MC romps I've read recently this one is probably the best.

I wish the author went a bit slower, and showed more grinding and exploring his powers. I get that in this story, there isn't necessarily a lot of depth to powers - though I'm betting what the MC has will turn out to have a few more secrets - and that we've seen grinding in a lot of other stories, but a bit wouldn't hurt. Or maybe just more dialogue and stuff. As is, the MC feels a bit hollow. We see some personality there at times, and what interactions we have are amazing, but a lot of the time it seems like he just has a predefined path and doesn't have much agency.

Or maybe that's the result of reading the story over months and months - I should re-read the thing.

The story is an absolute joy to read, and all my complaints boil down to that I want to see more.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Link to where I read it.
    [REMOVED: NO WAREZ] - Palindrome
    Site is ad-less and usually fast.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
  3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've been following it. I'm a sucker for a competent protagonist and good artwork, and this has both. The protagonist is OP and this has all the makings of a guilty pleasure, but it's good at what it does.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I have to admit I was interested as I always am with any gamer sort of thing, and I was enjoying it, but that passed and now I am just reading it.

It looks good, I'll give it that. However, where at first I thought it was going to side-step a lot of the common issues with gamer style progression and make it engaging, it's in fact turned head on into all the tropes. The usual, he's always just slightly out levelled the competition he's expected to take on. Everyone else is also very gamified in terms of how their magic and society function - even when it's not a litRPG world and they should be relatively diverse.

The moment he gets a taste of power and strength he develops so much edge I'm surprised he bothers with daggers, and his only motivation is 'must get stronger' and hide how strong he is for no appreciable reason for someone who previously dreamed of fame and riches.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Just blitzed it. Storyline isn't amazing, but definitely good enough to keep you going, and the artwork is amazing. Massive fan of how they're handling his increasing strength, with it becoming impossible for him to hide it anymore and making plans for going forward with it.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been reading this, but I've become far less interested as time goes on. The protagonist quickly lost all sense of having any characterization. He had some at the beginning, I feel, but now all I see is a blank slate "get stronger" nothingness.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

This guy is my spirit animal. I too have a preference for going solo in games that tend to encourage party play. And his particular class is the one I tend to favor when it's available for use as well.

I dunno. He seems to be scaling up way too quickly for there to be much conflict for long. Which is fine, of course, as long as you don't mind a god-tier MC just roflstomping everything.

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I thought it was funny how much he changed after he started his OPM workout due to his daily quest. He's such an expert now. The skill leveling and everything else doesn't really make sense in retrospect. I think they had a bunch of cool names and just went with whatever their finger landed on.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

There is a pretty good revelation in a novel about the whole leveling aspect of his transformation, but it's going to take a long while before the adaptation gets there.

10. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Really enjoying this one. I binged it in two separate sessions because the first site I read it on only had it up to the low 30s and another was caught up to the latest release.

Seems to take itself a little more seriously than The Gamer, which isn't really a fault, and the artwork is indeed phenomenal. The obvious key characters have a ton of detail but so do the mooks.

The plot isn't much to write home about: typical LitRPG fare with protagonist revenge-type motivations, zero to hero rags to riches and world ending threats. The execution is novel enough to keep my interest but I'd rather get the gorgeous visuals at the current pace than jump ahead and read the whole story.

11. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Thanks for bumping this, I binged all of the Webtoon over a few hours. The artwork is gorgeous and the plot pretty enjoyable too, so I was disappointed when I got caught up so quickly. Sometimes you just need to enjoy the catharsis of an OP!MC just shitting on everything and everyone. If anyone knows any similar style of webtoons i'd appreciate some recommendations - ideally ones that have a lot of chapters already or that are complete. I read The Gamer a few years back so i'll be re-reading that to catch up to the current chapter.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I remember reading this back when the latest chapter was them being trapped with the Spiderboss. Thanks for reminding me about it, it went in an interesting? Weird? It went in a way.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Apparently there are 270 chapters in Korean? Anyone manage to read more than the first 65 or so? I'm enjoying it so far. It's satisfying to read but a bit light on character and story beyond the powering up aspects.

14. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Sorry Ched you're thinking of the webnovel. The comic is fully up to date.

15. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

I had read until about the chapter 135 of the webnovel, until the translation paused as it moved to webnovel.com (for those interested, it's under the name 'Only I level up' there) and my interest went away with my binging momentum. Gamer shit is one of my guilty pleasures and this novel/webtoon does well at getting the growth satisfaction without bogging it down with a multitude of numbers and stats/skills or making combat overly game-like. The world building is pretty cliché as far as Korean webnovels go, guilds, dungeons, magic stones, game elements, all treaded ground.

Which is okay as I enjoy said cliché. If anything it's an departure from the default that I didn't like, having everyone else's rank being static. An unnecessary debuff to them, presumably so the title can be extra accurate and to wank on the protagonist specialness. Which, added to his ludicrous growth curve (he was pretty much B-rank by the end of the first dungeon, at around level 20 if I record correctly), distancing an already detached protagonist from having to deal with people (both as allies and antagonists), further impairing the novel worse aspect, the overall characterization and interaction.

By the time I stopped reading the webnovel, at the mid point of the story, the protagonist was already in the tier above S, with only five or so worldwide human peers. I felt that the conflict would then focus on what was behind the dungeons and the whole Player system, which is honestly an uninteresting mystery for me.

I talked mostly about the novel, as for the webtoon, the art definitely elevates above being a middling story of its sub-genre. Hopefully it will keep my interest beyond the point I lost it in the novel. I'm definitely looking forward to the Bootleg Chimera Ant Arc.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I do like that he went from E to S rather quickly instead of getting bogged down with politics or middling enemies. Before anyone really knew what was going on with him he'd gotten powerful enough to handle major threats. He was only 'vulnerable' for a few months and stayed under the radar. Kudos.

I've been hoping that this drastic ranking up period is essentially Arc 1 and now that we've gotten to S-rank we'll get more actual plot and character development.

I don't want the leveling to stop by any means, but we've essentially reached 'end-game' and it's time to also start growing in new ways.

After all, sometimes end-game content is the start of the real game.

Anyway I like this. It's guilty pleasure in the best ways.

17. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Honestly my main problem is the fact that early one we had the hints of some really interesting sub plots and character arcs that could be explored with all the various side characters, but all of that has been replaced with more and more fight scenes. So although it looks beautiful, the story itself feels just... underwhelming and devoid of anything I can really get invested into.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Started reading this and I'll be damned if that grinning statue wasn't one of the creepiest drawings I have ever seen.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I like that the series holds true to what's on its cover, and the MC doesn't seem to become more accepting of playing on a team as time passes.

Yeah, best not to expect much of anything out of the side cast. Everyone else is basically just there for decorative purposes and to swoon over Jin-woo's amazingness.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Lol, dude gets those pop ups that explain exactly what is going on like "Do a daily quest or be punished?" and he is like "what does any of this mean? Who could possibly say?"

Is he going to stay this dense?