1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Arthellion, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Game play video

Gameplay looks fun ,but it definitely needs some polish.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm certainly interested. As you said, it very obviously needs a bunch of polish, but the core of the game looks to be pretty solid. The design fundamentals and aesthetics are right on; just needs some elbow grease to smooth out the wonkiness in the mechanics and it looks like it'll be great. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, cuz EA has a habit of disappointing, but this is a pretty promising early look. We'll see if Respawn can deliver quality here.

3. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It has a good look to it, but that's because to me it looks pretty much exactly how I imagine a game like Jedi Academy would look if it was made today.

It reads to me like they were scared to fuck this up, and so they pulled inspiration from older titles like the Jedi Knight series. Not a bad call in the least, really.

Visually, it's stunning. The lightsaber actually looks and feels the way I imagine one would when used in combat, instead of the hack and slash versions you tend to get in games like Force Unleashed.

We'll see how it turns out. But like @Agayek, I'm going in with lower expectations and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's only hack and slash in TFU because Starkiller is a boss, philistine.

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

It was odd watching those super fatal blows on the new black troopers not kill them, but boss fights I guess. But good god stopping the bullets then holding the guy on it to kill him was fun looking. Also, BD-1 is easily the new Best Droid.

Was the big black guy Saw from R1?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  6. Arthellion

High Score:
    It was. And yeah, freezing a blaster bolt then telekineting a guy into the bolt is hilarious

Also, I do agree. It’s 2019. Getting hit with a saber should at least have disemberment.

7. Agayek

Agreed. That said, it looks like they might be thinking that themselves. If you look at the UI, there's a secondary bar above the black troopers' hp bar. It seems to behave like the Posture bar in Sekiro. Hopefully, part of the polish they do is to go whole-hog with that, make those mini-boss fights into something closer to that game, where the trooper will block and parry everything you do, but you'll be chipping away at their posture bar until it builds to critical mass and you can then insta-kill them. It seems like that'd be a good way to handle it, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's on the to-do list but just hadn't been done by the cut-off for this demo.

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I was mostly talking about the way the lightsaber just glances off of things and feels like it has no weight. This one looks like it has weight behind it and the blows carry some impact. They've done that in the movies as well iirc, they went back to making the lightsaber props they use heavy.

Starkiller was a fucking boss though.

As for dismemberment? While I'd absolutely love it, Disney doesn't see "oooh they cut that dude's arm off, cool." they see "John, 8, says his mother won't buy him the game because it's too violent." Lost revenue.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

10. Agayek

Extended version of the E3 gameplay demo; it's got about 15 minutes of footage bolted onto the front, and the more I see of this game, the more I like it.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh. Opens with 2 mins of Assassin's Creed, the first fight has the same AI Assassin's Creed had in 2007

Stormtrooper #1: dies

Stormtroopers #2 & 3: this is fine

followed by a scripted half-cutscene turret section straight outta CoD (not at all surpising, given that Respawn was a respawn of the OG CoD guys), followed by a 3 min cutscene, and then it loops into the demo released previously.

If your pitch is one part aping Ubisoft games from the late 2000s, one part QTE in all but name and two parts pretty packaging, I'll watch the game movie on YT to see how badly the story sucks and save myself $60. Battlefronts were pretty too. So far I see nothing but upcoming chapter 3 of EA Star Wars, which has been a raging success so far.

This is what I call a gameplay demo:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why would the thought of buying this even be on the table for you? Weren't you hard boycotting EA? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think the thing I'm most worried about is that the enemy AI seems very easymode, and that the people playing are purposefully slowing down attacks/dodging to make it look harder than it is.

Hopefully there will be a difficulty mode that isn't just you trouncing goons that stand there looking at you as you kill them. The troopers should be blasting the shit out of us, coming at us full speed with those shock batons. I want to feel like a Jedi fighting for my life.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gosh, you got me. I secretly gorge myself on lootboxes every night. The Matrix Wilson has me.

If there is a hard mode, demos don't typically showcase that stuff. The demo I linked of DA2 was definitely played on normal at best, going by some spell effects. That said, the AAA approach to a hard mode is usually just bigger clusters of enemies that'll still wait there to be slaughtered one by one, or bigger health pools, so attacks that ohk on easy now just take out a chunk, or higher enemy dmg. Actually innovating with enemy AI would be interesting and I don't expect that from EA.

Respawn are experienced in making games where players replace the need for enemy AI, or FPS singleplayer bots whose difficulty scales by higher dmg and scripted setpieces. Not that a good setpiece can't be a good thing in a story-driven game, but players can tell it apart when in regular combat AI comes at them in a neat conga line.

The game looks sluggish because Respawn has taken the "realistic" approach. I needs to look like a live action film, so you can't have a Jedi jumping around like a kungfu monkey slashing like a madman with his laser sword. Now I'm not saying this should be more like Devil May Cry, but maybe I am.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    At last, the truth comes out. We all know you have EA memorabilia all over your bedroom. There's no use denying it anymore.

15. Agayek

Most demos are run on easy mode with a rather unskilled (or at the very least more interested in showing off mechanics than good play) player behind the wheel. I'm not overly concerned about it.

Though that may be at least in part because I like and am hoping for a slower, more souls-y pace with it. We'll see how it shapes up going forward, I suppose.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I'm hoping you're right.

One great thing about this slow AI though is that it reinforces the 'stormtroopers can't aim' meme. This pleases me.

17. Jax

Jax Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Hello everyone. Steam summer sale is here and star wars fallen order is at 30 euros. Has anyone bought the game and would you recommend it? much appreciated.

18. Agayek

I would, yeah. It's Dark Souls Lite combat with some metroidvania-style level design, featuring environmental puzzles and lots of "this area is inaccessible until you find the right power/gadget/whatever, so come back later!" style passages, and a decent enough narrative. It's not the greatest game ever or anything, but it's an excellent Star Wars game and a very solid game on the whole.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Agreed with Agayek.

It's not game of the year material, but definitely worth it on sale. A very fun game and probably the best star wars game since maybe force unleashed or the og Battlefront II

20. Jax

Jax Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Sounds reasonable - I where a little doubtful after I saw the lightsaber interactions - ut you cant get everything :D