1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Competition Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Story Competitions' started by Ched, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Flash competitions would be a good place to experiment with different types of prompts, or no prompts, or whatever other structures people dream up. Instead of gambling our 4p/y competition on something that might not generate many entries. We can try them for 48hrs. If something doesn't work it matters less.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

How about we write something and the best story wins. I thought the prompts were there just to give someone something to write for? I mean, its a throw back to the old best in category that we used to do. So how about we go back to that? Vote on the category, and then you write whatever you want, within that category. I feel like this is being made more complicated than it should be.

Option 2 is the path of least resistance and is the closest approximation of best in category.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Alright - who all hangs out on r/hpff and r/fanfiction? Anyone with a decent, non-asshole reputation want to plug the competition there? Here's the thread in announcements that anyone should be able to view if you wanted to link something.

I don't want to over-advertise get a giant influx of people coming to DLP and creating drama, so don't go wild, but I think we have a good format for our competition that would interest authors. With the competition going into the second year there's enough past threads that new entrants can see what they're getting into. I think it's a good time to gently poke the wider community.

Anyone interested? I don't frequent Reddit so it's not going to be me to advertise.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Ched

Are we going to choose an official delegate of sorts? If you just want a DLPr who frequents those subs, I could do it. If you want to generate some interest then Taure would probably be best, but I don't want to push anyone into doing something they might not want to do.

5. Ched

Nothing official. I'm only thinking of some lightweight advertising in case there are interested parties. I just want to avoid annoying people and generating negative sentiment.

6. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey, what do you all think of allowing multiple entries per person? It was done last comp so I was wondering if there were any set rules about it in irc. If we go through with it, I think it should be limited to 2 at most so there's less spam. It'd be good for this next one for people who have idea's for both the prompts.

7. Ched

The rules for the current competition are listed in the current competition thread and won't change but this is a good idea that merits discussion.

Currently nothing has been said about it either way and so it's technically not against the rules. Which means it's technically allowed.

I'm all for making it a standard rule that we allow up to two entries per person. But I also don't want to encourage it - I'd prefer everyone just submit a single entry unless both are very short. Having more entries from a single person isn't likely to bring in more interest or reviewers/judges.

8. Zombie

Sh
    She said decent and non-asshole. ;)

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Zombie

@Microwave is taking care of it. I will personally shit in anyone's bed that is needlessly rude just because they're not used to DLP. This is our time to be accommodating and put all that shit everyone cried about in @Sauce Bauss thread to work.

If they earn it they earn it, but not when they walk in the door. Aye?

11. Ched

^What he said.

And on another note - if you've got concerns about the competition being rigged or unfair just PM me to discuss. Been some discussion of that in other areas lately (don't revive it here) but seriously. I don't bite.

12. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So now that Q2 is wrapping up, can we discuss the following points:

1. A fixed, and unambiguous time and date for submission deadlines.
    2. What happens in the instance that there are 20+ submissions to review? (as easily might have been the case this time)

13. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1 Hear, hear
    2 I would assume not many people would bother reviewing them, and then the few people who do will quite reasonably request a greatly extended time line for reading and reviewing the stories. The next competition may well start during the review window, though the disadvantage would be that the reviewers couldn't participate in the next one.
    This is a completely open question, but how do we make reviewing a more attractive prospect? Would we benefit from a secondary competition in which the reviewers do their best to 'unmask' the authors in a private message to someone who knows their identities?

14. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Fleshing out the details of the bracket idea for feasibility's sake.

We can have anywhere from 4 - 7 stories per bracket.

Reviewers must review all stories in a bracket they vote in. They are allowed to vote in more than 1 or all brackets as long as they fulfill above.

Any reviewer may recommend more than 1 story to move to the final bracket if they feel it merits such, esp in cases where stories are near ties. I do not recommend a hard upper limit as the idea is to get as many good stories circulated as possible. Do not abuse this trust.

Corollary to this, in the event that we (God forbid) have a bunch of really bad stories in one bracket, reviewers may recommend none of these advance in cases where no one story can be found of merit (or greater merit than the others).

In a theoretical 4 bracket 20 story comp, reviewers would on average have to review 8 stories (5 from their initial bracket, plus three other winners from the other brackets. Obv would not have to re review the winner format he bracket they voted on).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  15. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, that would be silly. The whole point of the competition is to have it anonymous and have well-written reviews for the entries as well. DLPers are just going to have to step up and review more, that's it.

And if there's many like 20+ then the review time can be lengthened or the amount you have to review to vote lowered to like 10 or the voting system changed. But the anonymous aspect won't be changed.

Edit: I was ninja'd by Halt, I agree with what he proposed.

16. Ched

@enembee - Fixed, unambiguous time. Sure thing, to a point. Midnight in Xiph0's time zone (or whoever is posting the stories) at the END of the date listed. Up to his discretion if he lets people sneak in a few minutes late.

As for extra submissions. I do feel strongly that a large draw to the competition (and a mark for fairness) is that everyone is required to read and review all of the stories. BUT we can have a caveat that if we have more than X number of stories the minimum review length goes down to 100 words instead of 200 if everyone feels that would help.

Further thoughts?

@Silirt I don't know how to make reviewing a more attractive prospect. I'd personally be frustrated in some kind of extra competition - I read, I review, I move on. Sometimes there are gems that make reading all the mediocre (sorry, true) ones worthwhile. Sometimes I can really hit on feedback that I feel good about because I think it's useful and that's satisfying.

I'm up for ideas that people think will work.

@Halt - I'm willing to try the bracket idea next time we get a larger number of stories. Split them up into smaller groups, have a set of reviewers review each set, then the reviewers recommend which ones move to the final bracket where the other reviewers from other brackets then read those.

Question - how do get the initial list of 'reviewers' to assign to stories?

Question - what do you think the limit should be here, if we have 15+ entries? Fewer? More?

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I honestly don't think we should worry about getting 15+ entries. It's a good problem to have. It would be nice to figure out the logistics ahead of time, sure, but I don't think we should go crazy trying to think of a solution to something that is quite likely never going to happen. The topic would have to be super generic, like indy!Harry or something.

18. Halt

@Ched
    Re reader list - admittedly I thought we'd just let readers self-sort themselves. However if it becomes a problem, introducing something as simple as a randomizer app readers can click on to assign them a number ought to do the trick.

I think 12 is a good limit.
    --- Post automerged ---
    You mean indy Harry or Fleur

19. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do what they do in the Little Italy subforum and get a time stamp link with midnight-ish Xiph's time and post it in the opening of the next thread so everyone has a time and date they can look at whenever. It works for Mafia games, it can work here, clean and easy to understand. No ambiguity.

Dipping down to 100 words would work at that point, yeah, and while I hope we get so many submissions next round, I do feel like this one was the outlier given we had two (decent) prompts to submit for.

20. Halt

I dislike reducing the review requirement because, let's face it, 200 words is not a lot as it is. It's questionable whether we can create reviews of substance using such short formats (and make no mistake, reviews of substance ARE the point). If most of us end up writing longer than 100 words to review (and I suspect we will save for those fics that are too short to review really), this will end up at best being ineffective and at worst reducing the quality of feedback.