1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Media Boxes

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Krieger, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So I bought a new Hisense OLED TV. Cheapest of the cheapest OLEDs, but compared to any other non-OLED TVs it is really good picture quality.

The problem? Shithouse software. It's its own in-house Hisense software so you can get fuck all apps on it.

I'm looking for a decent media box (prefer not apple) that lets me have ease of access to lots of apps like an android device. Primarily I want to use twitch and the internet browser to watch content. If I could use my phone to control the device that would be great. Looking for fast response times aka not pressing a button and waiting a second for it to respond.

Anyone got some good recs?

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fire Stick or Roku should suit your needs.

3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Get a Pi4 and run Kodi on it. If responsiveness is what you want than there really is no comparison as it's a order of magnitude more powerful than any retail media stick.

Plus it's cheap 35 bucks for the pi itself and 10 for a case.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I use an nVidia Shield, primarily because it's the only Android thing I've ever found that's managed to avoid the pissing match between Google and Amazon and has both YouTube and Amazon Video on it. It's allegedly supposed to be more of a gaming thing, but I've ignored the gaming aspect entirely and it works great.

I'm not sure if there's a way to use your phone to control it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's an option.