1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HDMI connection

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ScottPress, Jun 29, 2019.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm trying to get a TV to display the laptop screen through HDMI. I had it working for a moment at some point, but I don't know what exactly I did (if anything) to display it and then lose the image.

Older Lenovo laptop, Win7. New HDMI cable, as in not used before, but I don't know the production year.

Display worked fine on another laptop, a newer Lenovo model with Win10, so the problem ain't with the cable or TV. And like I said, it did work for a moment, so the hardware is fine.

I'm visiting family and want to blow my dad's mind with Interstellar, but I need to play it from HBOGO, so the HDMI connection with the laptop is required.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it must be something in the settings, but the laptop isn't detecting the extra screen.

2. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Takes me back, that does. I believe there's something for display screens in the control panel. Does the tv respond to the laptop being plugged in or is it saying 'no input'?

3. ScottPress

High Score:
    Nothing. Just a black screen. A "no input" message would be an improvement.

4. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So like when it's on HDMI 1 or 2, it has a black screen? I think that means it is receiving input, because when you turn to those channels with no active device connected, it'll give you some 'no input' or 'no signal' message. If your tv isn't telling you there's no input when there isn't an input, then you may well have a problem with the tv.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    Another laptop displayed fine, I really think the TV is good. I'll keep messing with the settings.
    --- Post automerged ---
    The TV is def fine, displays the other laptop right away with no prompting.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Fuck it, we'll watch on the laptop.

I tried another HDMI port and lo and behold, it starts working. I moved the laptop into a better access position-screen gone black. Move it back, jangle the cable-image is back, but no sound.

I thought we were past the days of "don't move the DVD player even an inch because it only works in that spot, with the cable at that angle".

Fml.