1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Far from Home

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Arthellion, Jan 15, 2019.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems like he's grown several inches taller and he has a proper 20 something year-old-face now instead of babyface. I was the same actually. Grew 3 inches between 19 and 22.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This looks pretty cool but just to confirm, this isn't some weird pre-Snap thing right? It's set after Endgame?

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Civil War
    [​IMG]
    Homecoming
    [​IMG]

Infinity War
    [​IMG]

Far from Home
    [​IMG]

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Spidey must be getting whiplash, keeps going between wars and hazardous school trips.

5. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Man this is giving me deja vu due to a similar school trip I took. The scenery in Venice in particular. The only difference is I wasn't spiderman and I got super drunk and passed out near a fountain.

I really like these movies. Raimi ones were really good but a bit too mopey at times. I never bothered to see the Andrew Garfield ones.

I do worry a bit that Sony will try to shoehorn their version of Venom in with Tom Holland's Spiderman.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Reddit comments killed me.

Mysterio: You don't want any part of this!
    Spider-Man: .. I think I want it.
    “GET OUT OF HERE, SPIDEY. “

“What’s going on in here?”

“We’re killing monsters. AND YOU DON’T WANT NO PART OF THIS SHIT.”

“What does it do?”

“It causes property damage, and killing it will make you look really good, and it’ll make people respect you and look up to you. IT’S A NIGHTMARE.”

“I’m thinkin maybe I want to try some of that.”

7. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

They spoiled a little more than that in this trailer.

Nick Fury is full on SHIELD-dressed.

Sure, we know that Time Travel is going to be a thing in Endgame. We also know that they are popping back to Avengers 1 timeline where they first encountered 2 stones at the same time in the same area. Given all the crap that happened between the first and the last Avengers timeline we can also guess that Cap is going to blow the whistle on Hydra, to (past) Fury. So he has some time to clean house.

So SHIELD lives in its proper form after Endgame.

8. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I thought that this movie was set before Infinity War? There's two years between Civil War and Avengers 4, and Homecoming was set two months after civil war. Why would this movie not be set before both Infinity War and Endgame? The chronology for the movies hasn't always been release years. So Peter and Fury being alive makes sense since they haven't died yet and nothing has been spoiled except that Peter and Fury both live through this movie.

That said, this has me so hyped.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    Kevin Feige has confirmed Far from Home takes place after Endgame

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...quel-a-return-to-normal-life-after-avengers-4

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    So this is coming out soon. All I gotta say is Sony has basically released the whole movie with all the trailers. The difference is night and day compared to Endgame.

I stopped watching a month ago. One cool thing I did hear though is they are addressing spider-sense somewhat.

11. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sony's only doing the distribution, so I assume the trailer choices were made by Marvel/Disney and Columbia, no?

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's no Endgame, but it's a fine conclusion to phase 3. More surprises than I'd expected, but perhaps not as many as there could have been with different/better trailer choices. All in all though, good fun, well made, and seeds some cool things for phase 4 - although mostly in the two stingers, which are great.

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    Going this afternoon with fiancé. I’m not expecting it to be as epic as endgame (that’s hard to beat); instead I just want to see Peter’s character growth and closure.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Thought it was a great movie. Perfect follow up to endgame.

Getting Simmons back as Jameson was amazing

14. DR

High Score:
    Going tomorrow after work. Looking forward to it!

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    It has a very different feel than endgame (in a good way).

I’d almost categorize it as a high school Rom/Com if it weren’t for the super heroics.

Stay for the two end credits. Very worth it.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw it this evening.

General impressions below. I don't mention any plot spoilers but I've put it in spoiler tags just in case.

I was pleasantly surprised at what a complete movie this is. It has comedy. It has romance. It has a meaningful and satisfying character arc for Peter. It has action. And it moves the Marvel universe on significantly.

And the most impressive thing is that none of those elements are done half-arsed. The movie works as a romance movie. It also works as a comedy movie. It also works as an action movie. It's got something for everyone and each "something" is substantial and meaty.

While it's not as "epic" as Endgame, from an objective standpoint I think it is the better-made movie.

17. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I honestly thought this was a much better movie than Endgame, and I'm someone who thought Homecoming was pretty mediocre overall so I really wasn't sold on this version of Spider-Man before this. Probably the funniest Marvel movie after Ragnarok, genuinely heartfelt moments which usually fall totally flat for me in Marvel movies, and really good action which made excellent use of the both the villain's and Spider-Man's powers. Maybe my favourite Marvel movie, actually. It might not hit the highs of some of the others, but it's engaging throughout and like Taure said all the different elements are substantial and feel like they belong.

18. DR

High Score:
    Noted!

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    @Taure @Viewtiful

What did y’all think of the lack of the multiverse (it being a fakeout)? Also where do you see the MCU going from here?

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Bear in mind that Talos and his wife seemingly believed the idea that Beck was from a different dimension. They might not be geniuses, but they are members of a much more advanced and knowledgeable race who've seen a thing or two in their time, and they at least found it plausible. Realistically, I'd be very surprised if this isn't Marvel seeding the notion in audience minds so they can do something more concrete with it further down the line. In particular, it's the obvious solution for bringing in mutants, although by no means the only one.

As far as the fakeout here goes, well, it's Mysterio. No big surprise that it turned out not to be true, and in some ways I think I prefer it that way. It would have been too much for a film that's been called an epilogue to Endgame to introduce such an extravagant concept, as cool as it might have been.

More generally, like I say, I'd put money on the multiverse showing up at some point. Most likely film for that which has been confirmed is Doctor Strange 2, although a third Ant-Man might be a possibility, if they do it. Other than that...more space stuff, for certain. Not sure whether Fury was on a ship or a space station, but either could be a precursor to SWORD showing up. Whether that will be part of the inevitable Captain Marvel 2, a separate thing, or part of Avengers 5 (New Avengers 1? Ultimates? Whatever) remains to be seen (although I imagine CM2 will probably go back and fill in some of her life prior to Endgame). Guardians 3, of course, although that's presumably going to be about tracking down Gamora, at least in part. Maybe a new generation of heroes? Cassie Lang has been conveniently aged up to potentially become Stature, and they've mentioned interest in doing something with Kamala Khan/Ms Marvel. That might be something to hold over for Phase 5 though.