1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2020

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

With less than six months till 2020 we may start a new thread.

The first trailer we got is for Mulan.

It's quite good, but it's rather odd Disney's live adaptation. It won't include songs. Mushu, if included at all, won't be a dragon. No Captain Li Shang. It appears that Mulan is really good at fighting thanks to her own training. Add all this and there isn't much connecting it to 1998 film which it's suppose to be adapting.

Few other titles for 2020:

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

WB fixed a lot about their superhero films, but this one will be tricky to get right in my opinion. If they manage, it could be their Deadpool.

Sonic The Hedgehog

It's probably going to be bad, but it should be amusing one way or another.

Godzilla vs. Kong

The delays probably won't help it, but with the good marketing it shouldn't do worse that this year film.

James Bond 25

It could be Danny Boyle's version, but Cary Joji Fukunaga isn't a bad replacement.

Fast & Furious 9

Will it be the one where they race on the Moon?

Artemis Fowl

Moving it from August 2019 to May 2020 suggests that Disney is either confident with this film or they really doesn't have anything better for that place. Kenneth Branagh is a very good director though.

Wonder Woman 1984

I expect this to be as good as the first one, but with a better ending.

Tenet

Nolan is doing a spy film or at least something close to it.

Top Gun (2020)

Tom Cruise will carry this film whether it's good or not.

Bill & Ted Face the Music

Doing a direct sequel after almost 30 years has a potential, but I'm not sure if it will actually use it.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the last few Fast&Furious are any indication, Fast 9 will be more of the same--and that's good. F&F are what Transformers could have been.

I'll watch Top Gun for Tom Cruise and I'll watch Tenet because Nolan.

Mulan without songs is a really bizarre decision to me. I'd have thought half the movie's hype would be just people wanting to see a live action version of I'll Make A Man Out Of You, but what do I know.

I'm hoping that the GOT prequel series comes in 2020, but Westworld S3 is slated for 2020 and the prequel just stared filming this year, so I'm expecting it to be pushed to 2021 tbh. Bummer.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We’ve also got The New Mutants in April.

Then two unnamed MCU films in 2020. Looking like next one in 10 months.

This is the longest Marvel fans have gone without a Marvel movie in years.

4. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh no! What shall you do? No Marvel movie? I guess the world is truly ending!

Dune's also supposedly getting a release in 2020. With Denis Villeneuve at the help, I'm pretty optimistic that it will be a good movie.

5. Ceadmon

Ceadmon Squib

Why do you think that this Dune movie will be good?

I thought Arrival (by the same regisseur) was good, but I don't know what else to go by.

6. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you mean director.

He also directed BladeRunner 2047 and Incendies which were very good as well as Sicario which was solid.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

About Mulan: I've read they're not remaking the animated movie but directly adapting from the story of the real historical Mulan.

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Uhh.... Huh.

Y'know, I was gonna say that I can't see Disney releasing a movie that ends with the protagonist killing herself to escape being gang raped by Mongols only for her sister to take it in her stead, but after the popularity of exactly that kind of shit in Game of Thrones, it might actually be a thing.

9. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There was never any rape, even in the adapted sad ending story. The original ballad has her return home 12 years later with no one in the army discovering her.

The later adapted story she saves the day, gets rewarded by the emperor who sends for her parents... Who turn out to be long dead or remarried. She ends up committing suicide when the khan requests for her to be his concubine.

10. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Yeah, about that. What exactly do you think the "invitation" to be the Khan's concubine entailed? It certainly wasn't to visit for tea and crackers.

Mongols (or the Rouran, to be less anachronistic), even back then, didn't exactly have the most sterling reputation when it came to respecting women. The whole thing was a thinly veiled euphemism for "and then the Mongol king wanted to fuck her, and the thought of it was so upsetting, and her alternatives so few, that she killed herself instead".

And then to top it off, her final act was to ask her sister to deliver a letter to her original fiance, who promptly started lusting after the sister. I don't remember if there was any rape there, but given the time period it came from, I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    So her sister was a girl worth fighting for?

12. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I'm hoping they save going to space for Fast 10, much like the Friday the 13th franchise saved space Jason for Jason X.

If a car doesn't somehow go into the sun then I will be disappointed. I'm also curious if any more on-set petty bickering between The Rock and Vin will surface during the movie's production.

13. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

@Andrela said it, but they’re definitely going for a remake closer to the original legend. I’ll miss ‘I’ll Make a Man Out of You’ though.
    God I hope this is good. That ending absolutely ruined the first. Either way, though, Gal Gadot.
    Well, I’ll need to get an edible ready. I first got high watching the first one, and it’s practically tradition at this point.
    Nah, they’re racing starman around the sun.
    I’ve heard about this script. It sounds like a Mission Impossible movie and will be undeniably terrible. IIRC, it’s about unmanned planes going haywire/rampant AI and only one man in a fighter jet can save the day. Topkek

As for TV shows, I’m really pumped for Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time shows.

14. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agree heartily with this. I'm more excited about Lord of the Rings, though. The Wheel could be good, but the source material isn't as good.

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    Wheel of Time was my introduction to heavier fantasy, but it hasn’t aged well. The female characters are one dimensional and it really started to drag.

That said...I’ll watch the first season in a heartbeat.

I am curious though. Wikipedia says Rosamund Pike has been cast in the lead role as moraine. Wut? Moiraine is the Gandalf to Rand’s Aragorn. She’s not the main protagonist.

Just don’t fuck it up like they did shannara. That show pissed me off so bad.

16. pbluekan

Same here. It’s got a special place in my heart, despite its flaws.

I do worry about the LoTR show. If they’re smart, they’ll go the same route the original movie trilogy went, as far as cinematography and faithfulness to the source material goes. The Hobbit was a letdown that I’m hoping they’re smart enough to avoid.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LotR and Hobbit both made approaching 3 billion dollars over their trilogies. LotR were much better films, but from a commercial perspective (that being the only one that matters to the people holding the money bags) there was nothing wrong with the Hobbit films.

18. pbluekan

True enough, though it’s probably reasonable to say that a good deal of their commercial success was due to the popularity of the material in the wake of how successful LoTR was.

19. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Haha, now that's throwing a stick of deodorant into a nerd convention if I've ever seen it. Well done.

E: FWIW, I loved them. Gods forbid someone try to flesh out a story some.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Johnnyseattle I'll throw an entire pack of soap right in their faces. I didn't mind them overall tbh, but I got an enormous case of the shits with the battle choreography in the third one.