1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Survey 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Good thinking. We don‘t want another Wendelin the Weird situation to materialise.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Damn right, I hate being tickled...

3. TendraelUmbra

TendraelUmbra Muggle

Same. HP/f!TR is my OTP

4. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dunno, dude. She also said that wizards used to shit wherever they happened to be and then vanished it.

If I take cursed child as canon, I have to take pottermore and her twitter along with it. I prefer to just cut it at book seven and shove my fingers in my ears.
    Is it masturbation or incest? The people want to know!

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    @pbluekan That's why I carefully specified story - Pottermore is debatably throwaway, but none of the entries on there are stories, thank God.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Isn't the founding of Ilvermorny a short story on Pottermore?

7. James

James Unspeakable

I'd add optional response to 'do you read (slash/fem!HP) stories?':

"I would if they weren't all shit."

8. pbluekan

There are a few of those that are decent. Not many, but they’re interesting when they’re done well.

9. James

James Unspeakable

I know few are even recommended on DLP, but of those, all had a theme or a detail that I didn't enjoy. Don't ask for particulars tho.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Are you asking me what Equal & Opposite is about? Didn't you already read it? Anyone else, go read it. Not spoilering it for ya :p

(It's not long, I think a couple 10k. Anyway, you won't regret it.)

Edit: So the answer to my first post is that E&O does hold up, of course. The age shows a bit in the older first part in the gratuitously excessive violence and dark magic -- we were all a bit juvenile back then --, but then again, that in itself can be a point, so eh. The ending is as perfect now as it was then.

11. pbluekan

Making a joke. I’ll add a /s to the end of that

12. Mediator

Mediator Muggle

I’m quite surprised by the amount of hate Snape gets. I thought the good man question would be split 50-50.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Eh. I quite like Snape as a character and feel like he's one of Rowling's best examples of writing talent.

But he's objectively a terrible person, by just about every metric. His only redeeming feature is that he loved Lily and was willing to die to atone for having indirectly killed her. He is not at all a "good man"; he's a shitty one that, in the end, did some amount of good to try and balance the scales.

14. Mediator

Mediator Muggle

I am of the view that, while he is indeed a less than great person, part of his actions, at least in his youth, can’t fully be blamed on him. I realize childhood abuse is often exaggerated or made up in FanFiction, but the Marauders’ actions and hatred toward him probably greatly influenced a great many of his decisions.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I mean, yeah, but it's not like the Marauders randomly decided to target him. He was a little shit as a kid, and while I certainly wouldn't say he deserved it, he didn't exactly do himself any favors in that regard.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Even if he wasn't a little shit I tend towards the idea that explanations are not excuses.

17. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    And more importantly, dealing with teasing is a part of growing up. You learn to either stand up to it, or become the kind of person it doesn’t happen to. Or just grow thicker skin.

It is not an excuse for murder or whatever else Death Eaters did.

18. Mediator

Mediator Muggle

I typically tend towards this idea as well, but in this case I allow a little leeway for him because he has such a shit life in general. His only friend was Lily, until he lashed out at her because he was being humiliated, he’s bullied by the Mauraders, and I don’t believe for a second that Avery, Mulciber, and the other Death-Eaters-in-training actually cared for him as a person.

Sure, Snape could have chosen to be the better man, but when the only thing he cared about vanished, what would have been the point? The fact that he at least changed because he loved/obsessed over Lily makes him better than all the other Death Eaters, though whether that makes him a good man or not is up for debate.

I’m of the opinion that redemption can be earned by anyone who’s willing to truly repent and attempt to correct the damage they caused, and Snape did that the best he could, while still blinded by his hatred of James. While certainly not a great person, he did just barely enough, in my book.

Perhaps I simply have a skewed set of morals, or forgive too easily, given my opinion seems greatly unpopular, but I certainly understand where you’re coming from.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Is there any canonical proof that Snape actually committed any crimes? I can’t remember. While his being a Death Eater certainly allows one to assume that he did, I’d rather not make assumptions.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Uh sure - I actually agree with most of what you're saying too. But Snape didn't live long enough to make a lot of that reality. Once he made his amends and played his role he could have had a redemption arc where he became a decent sort of person - but he died, and didn't. I'm sympathetic to him, have some empathy for his situation, etc.

But if the question is a simple "was he a good person" then the answer was no at the time he died. I think if he'd lived he could have become a decent one though, having had his catharsis; if he wanted to.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  20. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Taure kudo to you Sir for doing this, I feel ashamed to admit I never encountered this thread before nor its earlier versions.

Q: Why DLPers think Dumbledore did solid by Harry ?
    I don't view Dumbledore as "Evil/Manipulative bastard"
    Although Dumbledore has skills in manipulations (I wonder if in the 2nd and 5th year, Dumbledore showed his political skills to come on the top in the end.)

His relationship with Harry leaves much to be desired, I mean he did raise him to be some sort of a martyr hoping Harry will survive if by some chance Riddle tied him to the mortal plain.

Dumbledore is complex character, 6th and 7th book didn't help his portrayal same for 5th year, further thinking 4th year didn't help as well.
    It was clear Krum and Fluer headmasters were helping their students yet, what help Credic and Harry received ? (expect of the death eater in disguise ?)

On the other hand, we maybe have here a McGonagall syndrom, he needs to be useless or unhelpful for the plot to progress.
    Isn't that bad writing ?