1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Staff Announcement Regarding the DLP C2 and Enembee

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jul 19, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Most of you have realized something is going on with the C2. If not when all the fics inside were deleted, at least now when your email is getting flooded with all the fics being re-added. You’ll also notice that enembee is now banned from DLP, permanently.

The staff has discussed this, and we’ve decided to be fully transparent about why this happened.

Around a week ago, Xiph and enembee had an argument on IRC. It ended with enembee being muted on IRC and discord, and having his settings messed with on the forums. The staff agrees that this was over the line and should not have happened. This has nothing to do with enembee’s current ban.

The ban is because of his reaction afterward. Instead of trying to talk to someone, find a way to resolve this issue peacefully and rationally, enembee decided to do the opposite. He removed every fic but his from the DLP C2 and changed the name. He claims to have done this in order to get the attention of the staff, as no one had helped him out in the week following his dispute with Xiph. The issue is that many staff members are reachable through multiple different ways for help. Jon and I have our computers on 24/7. Our IRC and Discord are always on, and when we’re not at our computer, any notifications will be sent to our cell phones. Enembee did not attempt to contact any staff member, including Sesc, who he had met in real life and presumably has other means of contacting.

We’re not sure why enembee decided upon this path. Once he did that, he basically torched any good will any of us had for him. We would have attempted to resolve the situation as best we could. After this, however, there really was nothing we could do, or really wanted to do. Regardless, Raven gave enembee one last chance. If he would reinstate the C2 as it had been before, and reinstate the staff members, he would wipe the slate clean and call it a day.

Enembee refused. He told Raven that the C2 was his to do as he pleased with, and even if it were possible to transfer ownership, he wouldn’t do it. He then said he would put the fics back in, but whether DLP was part of the name of the C2 would only happen if he felt that the staff was properly apologetic over what had happened.

All of us, even the ones who were kind of on his side, decided that after that, there was no way enembee could remain on the site. We extended an olive branch, and enembee flat out refused. We can’t negotiate with a person that’s holding something like this over our heads. We had no choice but to ban enembee after his response.

The C2 was a collaborative effort from all of DLP. Enembee was a big part of it, obviously, but this C2 was not his. It belonged to all of DLP. It belonged to the members who took the time to vote and review fics, and to everyone who made it the most followed C2 in the HP fandom.

And it was more than that. It was a way for DLP as a whole to feature new stories that we decided were good. It immediately pinged 6000 people that a new fic was added. Then there are the people who click on the C2 simply because it’s the first in the list. It gave instant exposure to those fics DLP deemed worthy.

This has been a loss for DLP on more than one front. We’re creating a new C2 and adding all the fics we can find to it, and despite it being nearly impossible at this point, we’re going to attempt to get it back to #1.

2. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Huh. End of an era, I guess.

3. Melkor

Melkor First Year

What a complete tosser.

4. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I assumed whatever was going on with C2 was an elaborate joke or hacked account.

The truth is significantly more depressing.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I'd just like to say thanks for the full transparency here. We haven't had drama on DLP for a while. Good to know what happened.

Is what it is I guess.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    How can we best assist with refilling the new C2?

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Well, seems like nmb threw away a whole bunch of history for nothing.

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Sorry to see the drama, but thanks for the transparency duders.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I'm not in love with what happened here nor do I think anyone else on staff is, but ultimately the correct response to any situation with a member of staff is not to escalate as you're going to put us in a situation where we have to ban you.

The new C2 is fully refilled (and owned by Raven personally), we're making sure everything is correct and polished before we publish the link but the labor is done. None of us want to still be fixing stuff after people start subscribing, you've all been spammed enough.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

What was the IRC argument even about?

Nothing but morbid curiosity. Not trying to find victims or heroes of it

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does it even matter? There's no roses to be smelled here.

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Wasn't really an argument as that implies two directions.

People were discussing what made a good King and if there ever had been good Kings. I threw out Darius the Great as an example and some criteria (good administrator, raised standard of living, etc). He disagreed and I asked what the objection to Darius was. His response was to say 'assume we'll disagree on everything and let's just not'.

Nothing crazy there, but enough to get you muted for a couple days just for not having a basic sense of civility. As Sree said in the OP, his subsequent actions are what ultimately got him banned.

13. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thank you for the full transparency. What a terrible shame, however, that things went down like this. He'll be missed, but y'all made the right call.

14. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

When the new C2 gets available, I will convince every good fanfic lover to subscribe.
    Because the only appropriate response is to get to #1.
    Also, thank you for the full transparency, it is greatly appreciated, and makes me proud to be part of this site.

15. Bobika

Bobika Third Year

In the line of full transparency, shouldn't we offer enembee a chance to say something here, too?
    Don't reinstate him, but maybe offer him a chance to publish his statement to your announcement.

I'm not doubting your decision. His actions warrant this reaction.

I just don't think it'd be fair for someone who had been one of the pillars of this C2 for so long to be banned without a chance to give us his side of things, and possibly say goodbye.

If he doesn't take this chance to save his face and be civil about it, then, it's on his head, not yours.

16. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Are there going to be any institutional changes in moderator / admin policy, or the way the site is run, to prevent these kinds of issues in the future?

17. dark abstraction

dark abstraction Muggle

I'm sorry to hear this has occurred, but I agree that this is the only resolution that could be reached. I will happily subscribe to the C2 once it is available for such.

18. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Enembee wasn't staff, was he?

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Pretty he sure he means that, "It ended with enembee being muted on IRC and discord, and having his settings messed with on the forums. The staff agrees that this was over the line and should not have happened" refers to @Xiph0 , not nmb.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP is the closest example I have personally experienced of (kind of tongue-in-cheek) enlightened dictatorship.

There's 8 years of DLP history that happened before I joined. I don't know nor do I have any business knowing the specific history between nmb and Xhip0. My 2c is that I've always found DLP staff to be fair even when they're (humorously) antagonistic (shoutout to @Oz for making fun of me o7). Hell, I fully expected a permaban for my partcipation in the whole Trumperium vlad debacle earlier this year but I was given a pass.

With all that said, I don't buy the kind of stunt nmb pulled with the C2. I've witnessed similar things in other communities, online and irl: member has beef with staff/leaders, member does something retarded to "get the attention of X" instead of using normal channels of communication, member perhaps even secretely regrets the retarded thing but doubles down instead because he or she doesn't want to seem like they were wrong to do the retarded thing in the first place and ultimately the situation implodes.

I second the point Newcomb raised.

Not open for further replies.